At my job...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2012, 01:26 PM
At my job...
I know this will serve nothing more than to be the rant of a guy who has but one other post on this page, and as such you probably won't lend much credibility to it, but here, I am among friends. I have not met any of you, nor have I talked to any of you, but all of my friends and family are believers and I have to let some steam out. So, if you'll indulge me...

I work in an incredibly conservative area. Since the election, my clients have all wanted to talk to me about how upset they are with the election, and recently, about how its Christmas time again, and those dirty atheists are back to their old ways. It's all served to humor me, until yesterday.

My boss has his wife come by once a week to do some filing for him. Both of these people are incredibly kind and wonderful people to work for. The kinds of folks that you wish you could have as bosses and/or co-workers. But yesterday, she comes in to do her filing, and to spend some time with her husband on her day off from working in Christian radio, and they proceed to have an entire two hour conversation about how Christians are the most persecuted group in America. I don't know why, but that was my trigger. I hear people disparage my non-beliefs every day. My own family continually rebuffs my requests to just play it cool on the religious rhetoric. My friends, when I say something remotely liberal or atheist in nature, just tell me to keep quiet as to not disrupt their circular reasoning. I take it all in stride. But this caused me to hulk out.

Luckily, I was at the end of my shift and didn't have a chance to throw my side of the argument into the pile, as I am most certain it would have resulted in my dismissal from my job. As a 30 year old man with two degrees, one a master's degree, and a family, I have to work as much as I can to support them and pay back my sizable student loans. This buys my boss leverage in the currency of silence. I do not let my political or religious ideologies be known to anyone at work.

I clocked out and was steaming for the rest of the night. Persecuted? When's the last time you heard of police officers going into a bar and dragging Christians out into the street, beating them within an inch of their lives simply for being Christian? There are still laws on the books in this country that say that I can be thrown in prison simply for being an atheist in some areas. In my own home state, I can't run for political office, as one must profess faith in A god. We live in America, where Christians have been in a position of privilege for many many years. Do they think that since we now require that they hold their own beliefs to the same standards as they hold everyone else's, that they are now being persecuted?

The large argument from my boss and his wife came from the whole issue of nativity scenes on government property. They even asked me if I believe they should be taken down. I said not entirely. We have a law that says that the government must show no preference in matters of faith. So, keep your nativity scene, but also allow any other group who has a belief to have a scene of their own when their holidays come around. Especially if these religions have members in your town. And if you can't abide that, then yes, you should not allow any sort of display to be held at all. It's like being a parent. If your two children are fighting over a toy, a parent would probably just take that toy away. If you can't play nice, nobody gets what they want.

I'm so sick of this. I've been an atheist for four years now, and I've had my own thoughts marginalized by those closest to me. Luckily I have a wife who allows me to be myself and doesn't judge me when I let my A-flag fly. She's the best. But everyone else, and everywhere else in my life tells me that I should just keep my thoughts to myself so they can go on preaching however they see fit.

I will continue working here, but suffice it to say, I will not tolerate this kind of stupidity anymore. If any of you have thoughts, please. But thank you for reading. Like I said, I really needed to let this out here, amongst friends.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like sleepsoldier's post
05-12-2012, 01:51 PM
RE: At my job...
Sounds like a great letter to the editor
05-12-2012, 02:07 PM
I don't restrain my verbal responses at work because 1: I always win, 2: People leave better educated, 3: Usually they try to pick when having certain discussions around my presence afterwards. And I am an aggressive speaker. It has to be however a situation that demands clarity for me to contribute, in your case I would label it as such. How can they manipulate what circumstance makes a certain group of people's who have been given everything worse off than those who struggle for the equal merit of just being human, not just atheists but also homosexuals, molested children in the Catholic church (which by the way is a branch of Christianity.) They're not persecuted, they're disrespected if anything, which is a luxurious cakewalk compared to the efforts they put into excommunicating the right to even proclaim a mutual language for the people who could not even sit in the front of the bus years ago or even say hello without being killed for it and be served no justice to benefit the Christian majority's plastic strap-on.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Matthew Laramore's post
05-12-2012, 02:51 PM
DONT
mix your religion and employment. Period.

I own a recruiting company, and I can espouse any beliefs that I want. But being
that I am in employment I know how tricky people can be. The second you become
unpopular you will be out of work. REASON is not popular, Sarah Palin saw to
that. People prefer to play the victim card even when they are not, it makes
them feel special...like they are somehow carrying Jesus’ cross in 2012. ONLY
answer when asked. DONT just pipe into any conversation with your facts or
reason, they don’t want to hear. They want to be patted on the back and told
its gonna be ok, then they go home and watch Bill O tell them that they are
indeed being persecuted. It’s a game they play; just don’t end up playing along
and then losing. It’s not worth it (if you need this job).

I know of a newly famous atheist (who I will leave unnamed) that lost his city
job due to the pressure of him coming out. The local citizens were giving his
boss crap at church and it became too much. The comparing compassionate Christians
want NOTHING to do with Atheists…to the point they’d cost you a job…heck even
ole W went as far as saying we should not even be citizens. But to MAKE THIS
point with them…the whole “My dicks bigger” game…well, you will lose…and lose
income too. Let them feel like its Rome and they are being fed to the lions. If
they TRULY want your take…the way I’d reply is “Are you SURE you want my
opinion?” Then I’d be calm and factual.

05-12-2012, 02:55 PM
(05-12-2012 02:51 PM)Denicio Wrote:  DONT
mix your religion and employment. Period.

I own a recruiting company, and I can espouse any beliefs that I want. But being
that I am in employment I know how tricky people can be. The second you become
unpopular you will be out of work. REASON is not popular, Sarah Palin saw to
that. People prefer to play the victim card even when they are not, it makes
them feel special...like they are somehow carrying Jesus’ cross in 2012. ONLY
answer when asked. DONT just pipe into any conversation with your facts or
reason, they don’t want to hear. They want to be patted on the back and told
its gonna be ok, then they go home and watch Bill O tell them that they are
indeed being persecuted. It’s a game they play; just don’t end up playing along
and then losing. It’s not worth it (if you need this job).

I know of a newly famous atheist (who I will leave unnamed) that lost his city
job due to the pressure of him coming out. The local citizens were giving his
boss crap at church and it became too much. The comparing compassionate Christians
want NOTHING to do with Atheists…to the point they’d cost you a job…heck even
ole W went as far as saying we should not even be citizens. But to MAKE THIS
point with them…the whole “My dicks bigger” game…well, you will lose…and lose
income too. Let them feel like its Rome and they are being fed to the lions. If
they TRULY want your take…the way I’d reply is “Are you SURE you want my
opinion?” Then I’d be calm and factual.

ALSO..Jesus told them in the good book (ahem) that they WOULD be persecuted in his name. So in 2012 we are not gonna have anyone rounding them up and actually truthfully honestly persecuting them....so this is their way of living that prophetic statement made. Again, it makes them feel special and oddly assures them of thier faith.
05-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Get two M60 machine guns, wrap a couple 250 round belts around you, and go in there guns blazing from the hip. Rambo style.

Sorry, it's the only thing that pops up in my head.

But maybe it's nicer if you just poison them slowly with polonium.
05-12-2012, 08:24 PM
You know what gets under my skin? Anyone in America that claims to be persecuted.

No one is persecuted in America... sure... some groups may have it rough at times, but no one can have a solid claim on "persecution".

Christians that claim it are just as silly as anyone else who claims it. Want persecution? Go be a homosexual atheist in a Muslim country... that's real persecution.

Anyway, dude... chill. It's just people expressing their opinions publicly... hardly a reason to jeopardize your job. Sure, their opinions may be silly and offensive, but they are harmless to you... at the worst, they may hurt your feelings. Again, not a very good reason to sabotage your paycheck.

You did the right thing by coming here to rant. Keep it here.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
05-12-2012, 08:26 PM
(05-12-2012 08:11 PM)Janus Wrote:  Get two M60 machine guns, wrap a couple 250 round belts around you, and go in there guns blazing from the hip. Rambo style.

That's not even funny to joke about.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
05-12-2012, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the vindication guys. Yeah, I'm not going to sacrifice my job or my paycheck over stuff like this. I've always been a really easy-going type of atheist. In the same way that Zoolander had "Relax" as his trigger, though, I guess mine was having someone say they were being persecuted in this country when they're the majority.

If you liked this, though, I did have some thoughts regarding a sign I saw on my way to pick up my wife this afternoon. In the interest of cutting the tension some...

The sign, at a local church, read: "What would you do tonight if Jesus was coming tomorrow?"

I would think if you are a believer, and your choice is to be with your family or friends, won't you be with them tomorrow in heaven? Or do you think that it's possible that all your friends and family won't be there? Shouldn't you then only hang with the people you're most sure will be in hell, and therefore won't see them again?

If you chose to do some good, I think it would say that you're probably one of those people who thinks that good works will buy your way in to paradise. Sort of one of those types of children who are only good when they want something.

How about getting all debaucherous? This is the route I would take. We atheists are told that we're going to hell anyway, so if I'm up for an eternity of torment, I'm going to have the most fun I've ever had for one more day.

Seems to me that this question that the church posited is one that, for most, would paint you as illogical or immoral in answering it. Which kind of brings to light two of the things that we atheists like to point out about the faithful in the first place.

Thanks for doing our work, church!
05-12-2012, 11:36 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2012 01:23 AM by Reltzik.)
(05-12-2012 08:26 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(05-12-2012 08:11 PM)Janus Wrote:  Get two M60 machine guns, wrap a couple 250 round belts around you, and go in there guns blazing from the hip. Rambo style.

That's not even funny to joke about.
Agreed. Line crossed, etc.

Now sleepsoldier, if you REALLY want some sort of active venting in your community and have the energy to do so, you live in a society where such can be done anonymously. (And it has been so since the day of Gutenberg.) Want to fire away with a counterargument? Print off a hundred three-fold pamphlets (it'd cost maybe ten dollars if you have a home printer, mostly in printer stock and ink), and leave them where your boss and wife are guaranteed to find one or two. And also where your friends, enemies, municipal government, and local obnoxious churchy folks are likely to find them...

...... okay, I'm getting behind this idea, actually, and I might take it up even if you don't like it. I'm in particular thinking that what they're doing is something that some types of Christian might regard as a no-no. After all, if Christianity is a religion founded on an ethic of compassion and bearing true witness (which it is... for some people... and not... for others...), then minimizing the suffering of the oppressed (granted, less opressed in this country than others I can name) by playing the victim card for the LEAST oppressed religion in the nation is... well, not good. WE knew that, of course, but the point is that some Christians might agree. Whip it up right, throw in some arguments about grace and love for all your neighbors, and it might be impossible to tell from a reading whether or not the author is a Christian or an atheist. (Yes, there's something for being flamboyantly out, but it also helps if people don't stop listening before I hit word five.) Maybe even a blurb at the end, something like, "I'm nobody and everybody. I might be an atheist, or I might be a Christian, or I might be a Buddhist. Doesn't matter. What matters is that I'm shocked and offended by persecutors pretending to be the persecuted, and calling themselves Christian when they can't even grasp Christianity's core ideals. -- Unsigned."

Also, don't worry at ALL about randomly popping into rant. That's half of what this forum is for.

EDIT: Where your boss and HIS wife

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail