At my job...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2012, 11:43 PM
RE: At my job...
The sign, at a local church, read: "What would you do tonight if Jesus was coming tomorrow?"

I would think if you are a believer, and your choice is to be with your family or friends, won't you be with them tomorrow in heaven? Or do you think that it's possible that all your friends and family won't be there? Shouldn't you then only hang with the people you're most sure will be in hell, and therefore won't see them again?

If you chose to do some good, I think it would say that you're probably one of those people who thinks that good works will buy your way in to paradise. Sort of one of those types of children who are only good when they want something.

How about getting all debaucherous? This is the route I would take. We atheists are told that we're going to hell anyway, so if I'm up for an eternity of torment, I'm going to have the most fun I've ever had for one more day.

Seems to me that this question that the church posited is one that, for most, would paint you as illogical or immoral in answering it. Which kind of brings to light two of the things that we atheists like to point out about the faithful in the first place.

I think this was really interesting to ponder
I think a Christian would probably pray that he, his family and his friends would be saved.
They would be just praying that God will save them and professing their love towards the lord probably at church

Also, The pamphlets seem like an awesome idea.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes marieV's post
06-12-2012, 03:25 AM
If Jesus was coming tomorrow I'd buy him some Kleenex.
[+] 2 users Like hedgehog648's post
06-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Taking KC's insighful thoughts on American Persecution.....IF you feel inclined to say something...DONT go the way of the atheist rant, but call them out on their actual Persecution claim. DONT speak at all about religion. Get them to define persecution, then give them examples of REAL persecution then tell them they might want to find a better word as its truly a slap in the face to those that are ACTUALLY persecuted.
D
[+] 1 user Likes Denicio's post
06-12-2012, 09:25 AM
I "came out" to my fellow coworkers at Autozone when I was an undergraduate working while I went to school. I liked that job, I liked the people (except my boss a little by that point), I like almost everything about it. After that "outing", one additional employee professed her nonbelief. Within a matter of months we had both quit and moved on to shittier jobs. We both liked that job, she had worked for Autozone for nearly a decade and I right at 3 years. But bring in one fucking book (admittedly it was a fairly divisive choice since it was Dawkins' "The God Delusion") and generate conversation, then everything goes to shit. My schedule, the people I would close with, the radio on Sundays would get switched to a preacher when it had NEVER been placed on that station before, and myself and the other girl became the focus of being "thrown under the bus" as it were about declining sales and other sales metrics.

That was in Tennessee, where you also can't hold office as an atheist. Do I regret bringing that book into work to read during my down-time? No. Do I regret having generated the conversations I did? Absolutely. Sure I despised what they said, but had I just left it alone, none of that shit would have gone down.

Within 3-4 months of my leaving, all the employees (save 1) had left. It may sound somewhat conspiracy theorist-like, but after that summer, no one had the same relationship with anyone else. I have since reconciled with one of my fellow co-workers and there are no hard feelings there now, but no one really talks to each other at all. And we were fairly close knit.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
06-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Boss is back at it today. It's just he and I today. But he's going on about the bible and the reason for the season and everything. All I keep saying is nothing, and an occasional "That's interesting."

My inner Hitchens is bubbling up right now.
06-12-2012, 12:39 PM
(06-12-2012 12:26 PM)sleepsoldier Wrote:  Boss is back at it today. It's just he and I today. But he's going on about the bible and the reason for the season and everything. All I keep saying is nothing, and an occasional "That's interesting."

Know and recognize what is at stake here. You open your mouth, you lose your job. Choose your battles wisely.
Will ANYTHING you say change this guys mind? Nope!
06-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love Hitchens and the quote in my signature is one of my favorites, but the sad fucking fact of life is that Denico is right. Your job is actually in jeopardy for being yourself, and that is really fucked up.

Maybe just try asking to discuss something else? Say something along the lines of "I'm already starting to get sick of Christmas since it started so early this year. How about those (insert sports team here) this year?"

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
06-12-2012, 01:29 PM
(06-12-2012 01:22 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Don't get me wrong, I love Hitchens and the quote in my signature is one of my favorites, but the sad fucking fact of life is that Denico is right. Your job is actually in jeopardy for being yourself, and that is really fucked up.

Maybe just try asking to discuss something else? Say something along the lines of "I'm already starting to get sick of Christmas since it started so early this year. How about those (insert sports team here) this year?"
Bearded dude is right, but i would not say "Sick of Christmas"...remember, these people are already "Victims"..so for gods sake dont give them any fucking ammo. Just change the subject.
Boss: "Yeah, feeling extra christy christmasy and victimized today blah blah blah"
You: "Man i hear Penny's is having a sale!" (borrowed quote from the movie Airplane)
He brings it up AGAIN, then divert again....if he is a smart guy he'll see what your doing and either
A. Drop it
B. Start asking YOU about YOUR beliefs
If the latter happens, go real easy on it man. Hold back and play it safe. These VICTIMS would love NOTHIGN more than to vindicate their own suffering with the blood of an atheist. It will make them feel as if Jesus moved thru them to do his bidding.
Be SLOW to comment and react.

Best wishes!
D
[+] 1 user Likes Denicio's post
06-12-2012, 01:31 PM
(06-12-2012 12:26 PM)sleepsoldier Wrote:  Boss is back at it today. It's just he and I today. But he's going on about the bible and the reason for the season and everything. All I keep saying is nothing, and an occasional "That's interesting."

Seriously, bro... you're starting to sound silly. Are you really that sensitive that you're letting someone's ramblings affect you in a way that could potentially harm your financial well being?

I mean... really? Is this really an issue?

Moreover, Hitchins is cool and such... but I really dislike that idea that portrays to atheists. That it's okay to be a dick because you know that you're right and you should always tell people you're right and make them feel completely stupid for not believing as you do.

This isn't the real world. That's not how people work.

The Hitchens approach only works in a very specific, set area. Also, only Hitchens should emulate Hitchens. If you try and emulate him, you're more than likely going to have negative results.

But yeah, I'm a Christian, so not sure if my advice is worth anything here.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
06-12-2012, 01:36 PM
That was pretty terrible advice KC.

Look, the issue isn't a matter of "I always have to be right" it is a matter of A) not wanting to discuss it in the first place. B) someone spewing forth ignorance and skewed facts should be called out. C) living somewhere that the discussion is heavily one-sided IS daunting. That doesn't mean discrimination but it does mean isolating. Having an online community doesn't fill in the void of real discussion sometimes. D) liking someone and knowing that telling them your honest opinion would FUNDAMENTALLY CHANGE EVERYTHING ABOUT YOUR RELATIONSHIP is emotional torment.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post