At my job...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2012, 01:41 PM
RE: At my job...
(06-12-2012 01:36 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  That was pretty terrible advice KC.

Look, the issue isn't a matter of "I always have to be right" it is a matter of A) not wanting to discuss it in the first place. B) someone spewing forth ignorance and skewed facts should be called out. C) living somewhere that the discussion is heavily one-sided IS daunting. That doesn't mean discrimination but it does mean isolating. Having an online community doesn't fill in the void of real discussion sometimes. D) liking someone and knowing that telling them your honest opinion would FUNDAMENTALLY CHANGE EVERYTHING ABOUT YOUR RELATIONSHIP is emotional torment.
It's all moot if it affects your job.

That's why I'm saying. I'm not saying that it's right what he's doing, but it's the simple fact that going off on your Christian boss about his Christian beliefs can have some very negative side effects.

We can't always be aggressive... there are times when you have to be passive... and just suck it up. Grin and bear it.

There is a time a place for everything.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Which is why he came here to vent his frustrations.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
06-12-2012, 01:47 PM
(06-12-2012 01:45 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Which is why he came here to vent his frustrations.
Which is okay to vent (as I said earlier), but it's not okay to consider going Hitchens on his boss.

Unless, of course, he's being hyperbolic... if that's the case then it's a simple misunderstanding of his intentions.

06-12-2012, 02:05 PM
Oh, I'm well aware. I'm just bubbling.
06-12-2012, 02:05 PM
I don't think there is anything with going "Hitchens" on someone. I don't think Hitchens ever went out of his way to try and insult anyone, people just take offense to his abrasive style and nature. The fact that he doesn't care what people think of his opinion is actually quite inspiring. People don't always appreciate it, but if that person is of any capable intellect, then they will get over it. The most helpful advice I have ever received was from someone being honest with me and calling me out on my bullshit. Especially when I was unaware of my ignorance.

This situation gets designated as different because it does have an impact on his livelihood and his life. Expressing your opinion should never cost you your way of life. That is a HUGE failing of society, but we still live in that society. People take special privilege with their own opinions and consider any alternative opinion to theirs to be insulting. That coupled with their self-entitlement means they feel that they are owed something. Be it an apology or some penalty to you for holding an opinion counter to your own.

That is exactly what politics has become. Why can't we sit down and have political discussions that don't devolve into conspiracy theories and broad generalizations? Why can't we just decide on how to make things better as opposed to sticking our fingers in our ears? The whole self-entitlement issue that people shouldn't complain and should just "man-up" and keep it all in is absurd. If it isn't going to cost me my way of life, your damn right I am going to say something. If the person on the other end wants to call me an asshole, then so be it. I am an asshole. But I refuse to allow ignorance to go unchecked. And that includes my own. People who don't correct me piss me off too. If you know I am wrong, or if I say something stupid, TELL ME. I want to know. I might get offended initially, but if you're right, my pride will recover and I will correct my mistake.

If I don't know when I am wrong, I can't fix my mistake. If I am unaware of my ignorance, I can never learn. I hold people to these same standards.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
06-12-2012, 02:21 PM
I just wonder if I should possibly just have my non-belief be known. Because it certainly seemed like he wanted to have a conversation today. I tread a very fine line all the time, but I wonder if I should just say I'm an atheist, but I'm not really that militant about it. Or if I should just let the customers and management say whatever they want and possibly start wondering why I never talk to them.
06-12-2012, 02:27 PM
(06-12-2012 02:05 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I don't think Hitchens ever went out of his way to try and insult anyone, people just take offense to his abrasive style and nature.
DING DING DING, winner winner chicken dinner!
This is EXACTLY the paradox of hitchens. Those that WANT to be easily offended...can be and often did. But if you REALLY listened to the man, you would not find a more gracoius purveyer of information. He was polite to a fault, but was unafraid to bash you with FACTS. There is a difference between providing facts and going Nuclear with Facts.
[+] 1 user Likes Denicio's post
06-12-2012, 02:29 PM
(06-12-2012 02:21 PM)sleepsoldier Wrote:  I just wonder if I should possibly just have my non-belief be known. Because it certainly seemed like he wanted to have a conversation today. I tread a very fine line all the time, but I wonder if I should just say I'm an atheist, but I'm not really that militant about it. Or if I should just let the customers and management say whatever they want and possibly start wondering why I never talk to them.
My advise....only identify if you are asked. If he aint asking...he dont want to know. Who knows, you just may be a damn fine listener and he wants you to listen. Be a good employee by doing your job and listen. IF he asks....then you have a bigger decision to make.
06-12-2012, 02:29 PM
(06-12-2012 02:21 PM)sleepsoldier Wrote:  I just wonder if I should possibly just have my non-belief be known. Because it certainly seemed like he wanted to have a conversation today. I tread a very fine line all the time, but I wonder if I should just say I'm an atheist, but I'm not really that militant about it. Or if I should just let the customers and management say whatever they want and possibly start wondering why I never talk to them.
If you do come out, just be prepared to cancer patient'd. What this means is he's going to take the "Awww, poor guy. I need to help him because he can't help himself" approach. He'll want to sit down with you and "talk" about Jesus. He'll pretend to listen to you while trying to figure out how to convert you.

It will change the dynamic of your relationship. He strikes me as the this type of Christian and not the kind that is going to go ape on you for being an atheist.

Keep in mind, when it comes to decisions with the company, the fact that you're an atheist will probably affect his decisions. It might be consciously, it might be unconsciously... but more than likely, you're going to be seen as an untrustworthy pariah in sore need of some Christian help.

06-12-2012, 02:41 PM
And yes, folks. Hyperbole. I could have picked any of the main voices that we ascribe to. I simply said Hitchens because I want so badly to just tell them to hush about it and when something really offends me the way they have, a Rolodex of responses start going through my brain. Everything from asking them to not talk about this at work to going full Hitch.

To be honest, I almost didn't post on here in the first place. And the reason why is because I see time and time again where someone like me comes on to this board to voice him or herself, and a thread discussion starts where he or she is demeaned or told their ideas are invalid. But I guess that's just the culture of the Internet.

One thing that religion has absolutely right is the sense of fellowship. It varies from church to church but its something that I think we are sorely lacking. I came here because I was so incredibly infuriated about something my boss and his wife said that I was almost in hulk mode. The only person in my life I can go to is my wife. She listens to me, but she doesn't truly understand the frustration and pain one feels of being told that their thoughts and ideas don't matter. Amish country doesn't have a large atheist population. The atheist groups anywhere near me are all incredibly hard to get in contact with, and a lot of the members are incredibly judgmental.

I thought I could just come here and let out some steam, and while I thank those who are allowing me to do so, please don't mistake my overly emotional reactions as being childish behavior. I am well aware of my environment, and the consequences of my actions. Which is why I feel the need to come here, so I don't have to sulk in my own feelings.

I listen to Seth's show because for one hour every week, I get to hear the voice of people just like me who are struggling through a lot of the same issues I am. I would identify myself if I went further, but I've had an incredibly hard time this past 12 years, and it only started getting better when I realized that there was no god. Once I took personal responsibility for my own life, things have gotten better.

Another rant down. I'm not trying to silence anyone here. I just guess I was hoping for less condescension and more fellowship amongst like minded people.