At the Chinese Buffet, Today...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2015, 02:59 PM
At the Chinese Buffet, Today...
So it's gorgeous outside, and I decide to take one of the new bikes (in aaaaalmost finished form) for a test-ride. On the way back, I'm getting gas and realize I'm hungry, so I decide to stop at the China Buffet in my small Missouri town.

Seated at a booth by myself, in between two booths of old people, I can't help but hear the conversations. The ones behind me are working on a Christian website, called "Miracle-somethingorother", on their laptops. It's actually kinda charming, since they appear to be 70ish but clearly have a pretty good grasp of how to make a website, and I get a few chuckles as they start to discuss how to phrase things "properly" so it is "Christ-appropriate". Nothing to bug me.

At the table in front of me, they're discussing a fortune cookie that said, "A problem you have been having will disappear this month". The lady doing most of the talking does a pretty good job of skeptically dissecting the claim, since it could apply to anything and is meant to be read with confirmation-bias, et cetera. I'm delighted! Christians on one side of me, Skeptics on the other... except, nope... turns out they were only skeptical to fortune cookies. Their next fifteen minutes were spent discussing every asinine claim made among the Woo of the Christ flock, everything from Bible Prophecies Coming True Today™ (what did you just say about confirmation bias, lady?) to "We can see the Power of the Lord working with that poor family our church is helping out" (since the Lord saw fit to let the patriarch of the family die in a very medically-expensive way). One of them even managed to throw in a "Obama says we all came from monkeys" claim at another point in that conversation. Angry

I managed, just, not to comment, but after hearing the "came from monkeys" slur, I put down my fork hard enough for them to notice my agitation and stalked over to pay for my meal and get the hell out of there. Luckily, the lovely weather made the ride the rest of the way home pleasant enough that my mood has recovered.

I have got to get out of this town.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 15 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
24-08-2015, 03:04 PM
RE: At the Chinese Buffet, Today...
That sounds annoying, and is one of the reasons I get my Chinese food to go. Yay for eating at home, or even in my car, where I can listen to skeptic podcasts while eating my meal in peace. Big Grin

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 3 users Like cactus's post
24-08-2015, 03:36 PM
I would have just grabbed Pablo's avatar and stuck my tongue out at them.

Tongue

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
[+] 3 users Like Free's post
24-08-2015, 03:43 PM
When I hear people like this, I'm just really happy to be free from all that delusion. I also realize how I must have sounded back in my Christian days. Facepalm
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
24-08-2015, 03:48 PM
(24-08-2015 02:59 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  So it's gorgeous outside, and I decide to take one of the new bikes (in aaaaalmost finished form) for a test-ride. On the way back, I'm getting gas and realize I'm hungry, so I decide to stop at the China Buffet in my small Missouri town.

Seated at a booth by myself, in between two booths of old people, I can't help but hear the conversations. The ones behind me are working on a Christian website, called "Miracle-somethingorother", on their laptops. It's actually kinda charming, since they appear to be 70ish but clearly have a pretty good grasp of how to make a website, and I get a few chuckles as they start to discuss how to phrase things "properly" so it is "Christ-appropriate". Nothing to bug me.

At the table in front of me, they're discussing a fortune cookie that said, "A problem you have been having will disappear this month". The lady doing most of the talking does a pretty good job of skeptically dissecting the claim, since it could apply to anything and is meant to be read with confirmation-bias, et cetera. I'm delighted! Christians on one side of me, Skeptics on the other... except, nope... turns out they were only skeptical to fortune cookies. Their next fifteen minutes were spent discussing every asinine claim made among the Woo of the Christ flock, everything from Bible Prophecies Coming True Today™ (what did you just say about confirmation bias, lady?) to "We can see the Power of the Lord working with that poor family our church is helping out" (since the Lord saw fit to let the patriarch of the family die in a very medically-expensive way). One of them even managed to throw in a "Obama says we all came from monkeys" claim at another point in that conversation. Angry

I managed, just, not to comment, but after hearing the "came from monkeys" slur, I put down my fork hard enough for them to notice my agitation and stalked over to pay for my meal and get the hell out of there. Luckily, the lovely weather made the ride the rest of the way home pleasant enough that my mood has recovered.

I have got to get out of this town.

First of all when you said bike I thought you meant bicycle so then when the getting gas part came I was so confused Laugh out load but yeah people like that can just be so frustrating.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
24-08-2015, 03:52 PM
Stuck in a seedy motel when my flight was cancelled, I listened to 4 nicely dressed Dad-types argue whether a certain babble character - a eunuch - would or would not be allowed into heaven.

Facepalm

I feel your pain.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 3 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
24-08-2015, 04:55 PM
(24-08-2015 03:48 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  First of all when you said bike I thought you meant bicycle so then when the getting gas part came I was so confused Laugh out load but yeah people like that can just be so frustrating.

Take a good look at my avatar photo, JDog. That's not a bicycle jacket! Tongue

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
24-08-2015, 05:04 PM
(24-08-2015 04:55 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(24-08-2015 03:48 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  First of all when you said bike I thought you meant bicycle so then when the getting gas part came I was so confused Laugh out load but yeah people like that can just be so frustrating.

Take a good look at my avatar photo, JDog. That's not a bicycle jacket! Tongue

I mean, it could be Tongue

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
24-08-2015, 06:25 PM
Go west young man! and let the evil go east. Wink

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 3 users Like Tonechaser77's post
24-08-2015, 09:22 PM
Tonechaser - you sick bastard, getting that old song stuck in my head. Sick sick sick!!! Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post