At the Chinese Buffet, Today...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2015, 09:29 PM
RE: At the Chinese Buffet, Today...
I love listening to other people's conversations.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
24-08-2015, 09:40 PM
(24-08-2015 02:59 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  So it's gorgeous outside, and I decide to take one of the new bikes (in aaaaalmost finished form) for a test-ride.

Don't leave me hangin', what were you riding?

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
24-08-2015, 10:16 PM
Well it started life as a shredded Victory semi-touring bagger cruiser, so thrashed it's really a mishmash of several other bikes from that junkyard just to get the engine running. The engine is their 106/6 Freedom V-Twin (106 cubic inches/6 speed), which I've made a custom frame for and set up to be something between a power cruiser and a café racer... the ass end is high and the bars are low like a sportbike, but it has a more-traditional cruiser look because of the huge engine. I can't show you the design without express permission from boss and customer, but it looks a little like this:

[Image: victory_core.jpg]

Except it's black, has working rear suspension, and it's not aluminum. But the overall architecture is similar. Oh, and the oil cooler housing (just behind front tire/ahead of engine) is not so gigantic.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
24-08-2015, 10:34 PM
(24-08-2015 10:16 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Well it started life as a shredded Victory semi-touring bagger cruiser, so thrashed it's really a mishmash of several other bikes from that junkyard just to get the engine running. The engine is their 106/6 Freedom V-Twin (106 cubic inches/6 speed), which I've made a custom frame for and set up to be something between a power cruiser and a café racer... the ass end is high and the bars are low like a sportbike, but it has a more-traditional cruiser look because of the huge engine. I can't show you the design without express permission from boss and customer, but it looks a little like this:

[Image: victory_core.jpg]

Except it's black, has working rear suspension, and it's not aluminum. But the overall architecture is similar. Oh, and the oil cooler housing (just behind front tire/ahead of engine) is not so gigantic.

[Image: 238.jpg]

One of these days I want to grab a Honda XR650-L, their 650cc single cylinder 4-stroke air cooled street-legal trail bike, and chop it down to a supermotard.

[Image: 8606cd5d62c4a687de31f9cd6e737935.jpg]

But for now, my CB750 Nighthawk will suffice.

[Image: img_pdiZIHjFvH.jpg]

24-08-2015, 10:54 PM
I don't really mess with Hondas, since there are a great number of café racer shops that deal in CB-series builds, but there is nothing wrong with that Nighthawk. It was awesome in 1969 when the original SOHC came out, and it's still a bulletproof machine. When you get tired of it, consider investing in a café build of the bike.

Hypermotards are cool; I've just never worked with one. I do like the KTM Duke series of hypermotard bikes, and recently saw a Super Duke R 1290... that thing was sick! A clear stab at one of my favorite bikes ever made, the Ducati Monster.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
24-08-2015, 11:01 PM
This is me in November of 2005 with my oldest still-owned bike, Rose, a 1996 CBR900RR, the direct descendant of your Nighhawk. Smile

(And the jacket.)

[Image: leaningonbike_zpszcqirykk.jpg]

24-08-2015, 11:15 PM
(24-08-2015 10:54 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I don't really mess with Hondas, since there are a great number of café racer shops that deal in CB-series builds, but there is nothing wrong with that Nighthawk. It was awesome in 1969 when the original SOHC came out, and it's still a bulletproof machine. When you get tired of it, consider investing in a café build of the bike.

Hypermotards are cool; I've just never worked with one. I do like the KTM Duke series of hypermotard bikes, and recently saw a Super Duke R 1290... that thing was sick! A clear stab at one of my favorite bikes ever made, the Ducati Monster.

(24-08-2015 11:01 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  This is me in November of 2005 with my oldest still-owned bike, Rose, a 1996 CBR900RR, the direct descendant of your Nighhawk. Smile

(And the jacket.)

[Image: leaningonbike_zpszcqirykk.jpg]

I like naked standard bikes, so my next go-to after the Nighthawk (provided I could both find one and afford it) would be a CB919 Hornet; which was a de-tuned naked version of the CB900RR series. No extraneous plastic, just a frame, engine, fuel tank and wheels. Tongue

[Image: cb919-06a1.jpg]

But I do love my retro bikes, owned both a 84' CB700 Nighthawk S and a 86' VF700 Magna before my current 93' Nighthawk. Would love to get either an old VF750 Super Magna (gotta love Arlen Ness), or a new CB1100.

[Image: Honda_Super-Magna-V45_1988_7796.jpg]

[Image: 13_cb1100_det03.jpg]

24-08-2015, 11:30 PM
Yeah, the Hornet and my bike share the same engine, just with a bit different timing/cams/exhaust.

They're both 918.5cc bikes, and the Hornet is essentially a factory café racer with more comfy bars and more standard rear seat. Have you considered the Honda VT1000 Superhawk? It's not great for longdistance riding due to a smallish fuel tank, but it's supposed to be one of the best city riders that exists. I'm guessing you don't do much longdistance touring, if you're on a Nighthawk (no windscreen at all, in true café racer tradition).

[Image: th?id=JN.SveMMMlBpAJT3h%2ba6R0pzQ&am...;amp;h=300]

(The side-fairings are designed to direct airflow outward through the side radiators.)

A project I've been sketching up lately in the hopes I can talk someone into is to take a shredded one of these,

[Image: th?id=JN.S6H41Tup2PWvXwc8EHIi9w&...;amp;h=300]

...a Royal Enfield 535 Continental GT, a single-cylinder aircooled with 29hp, and put in a much more powerful modern engine, like one of your hypermotards. Unfortunately, almost everything is water-cooled, nowdays, which would mean finding some way to hide or incorporate a radiator into that design.

25-08-2015, 12:06 AM
Hummm. Dodgy This thread went from fortune cookies to motorcycles.

Just sayin'.

Drinking Beverage

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
25-08-2015, 12:39 AM
(24-08-2015 11:30 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Yeah, the Hornet and my bike share the same engine, just with a bit different timing/cams/exhaust.

They're both 918.5cc bikes, and the Hornet is essentially a factory café racer with more comfy bars and more standard rear seat. Have you considered the Honda VT1000 Superhawk? It's not great for longdistance riding due to a smallish fuel tank, but it's supposed to be one of the best city riders that exists. I'm guessing you don't do much longdistance touring, if you're on a Nighthawk (no windscreen at all, in true café racer tradition).

[Image: th?id=JN.SveMMMlBpAJT3h%2ba6R0pzQ&am...;amp;h=300]

(The side-fairings are designed to direct airflow outward through the side radiators.)

A project I've been sketching up lately in the hopes I can talk someone into is to take a shredded one of these,

[Image: th?id=JN.S6H41Tup2PWvXwc8EHIi9w&...;amp;h=300]

...a Royal Enfield 535 Continental GT, a single-cylinder aircooled with 29hp, and put in a much more powerful modern engine, like one of your hypermotards. Unfortunately, almost everything is water-cooled, nowdays, which would mean finding some way to hide or incorporate a radiator into that design.

I've taken the scenic route from my city to go visit my parents, takes about 3.5 hours on the Nighthawk; so I'm not unaccustomed to long rides, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a cross-country touring trip. But my daily commute is 15 minutes of highway riding to and from work, and I ride everyday that isn't raining or have snow on the ground (full rain gear and cold weather gauntlets, a must here in the NE).

I'm sure that Superhawk is a joy to ride (996cc, 90° V-twin), but that's just too much front faring for my taste. I like being able to see the engine. Plus, I do like my 5 gallon tank. Big Grin

As far as modern air-cooled engines, you're probably looking at either a Ducatti (does anyone else really do air-cooled performance engines outside of them anymore?), or something out of a dirtbike. The engines out of the XR650 series are bulletproof, which is why I want one, and the design itself hasn't changed for almost 2 decades (a 15' model looks like a 95' model). Honestly I'm not sure what you'd use if you wanted to keep everything European instead of making some sort of Frankenstein hybrid of pieces. If you wanted to stick with retro air-cooled goodness, maybe a 325.6 cc (36 bhp) parallel twin out of a Honda CB350 / CL350, or a 498 cc parallel twin out of a Yamaha XS500?

[Image: Gold_1972_Honda_CB350_twin_right_2.jpg]

[Image: 1978+xs500+4.jpg]