At the Chinese Buffet, Today...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2015, 05:19 AM
RE: At the Chinese Buffet, Today...
(25-08-2015 12:06 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Hummm. Dodgy This thread went from fortune cookies to motorcycles.

Just sayin'.

Drinking Beverage

Would not be a TTA thread if it did not get derailed.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
25-08-2015, 05:35 AM
(25-08-2015 05:14 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Darn, I guess I'll derail this thread to talk about the original topic.

I was at Braums with my nephew and we were talking about the council of Nicea and how they constructed Christianity. This lady from the next table over kept looking at us with an angry look on her face.

I could tell she didn't like what we were saying, but she was also ignorant of what we were talking about other than Christianity wasn't very real. So I think she was wanting to shout at us "Jesus is real!" but she just sat there in silence glaring. Laugh out load

The key to any illusion is everyone buying into it. I get the distinct feeling that many people resent atheists so much because we give credence to their own doubts, and make it that much harder to maintain their own preferred illusion.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
25-08-2015, 07:12 AM
(25-08-2015 12:40 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(25-08-2015 12:06 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Hummm. Dodgy This thread went from fortune cookies to motorcycles.

Just sayin'.

Drinking Beverage

You say that like it's a problem. Tongue

It went from Chinese food to rice rockets. It's a natural progression

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Octapulse's post
25-08-2015, 07:16 AM
How about Chinese motorbikes?

[Image: web.JPG]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
25-08-2015, 07:42 AM (This post was last modified: 25-08-2015 07:58 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
(25-08-2015 12:39 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  As far as modern air-cooled engines, you're probably looking at either a Ducatti (does anyone else really do air-cooled performance engines outside of them anymore?), or something out of a dirtbike. The engines out of the XR650 series are bulletproof, which is why I want one, and the design itself hasn't changed for almost 2 decades (a 15' model looks like a 95' model). Honestly I'm not sure what you'd use if you wanted to keep everything European instead of making some sort of Frankenstein hybrid of pieces. If you wanted to stick with retro air-cooled goodness, maybe a 325.6 cc (36 bhp) parallel twin out of a Honda CB350 / CL350, or a 498 cc parallel twin out of a Yamaha XS500?

Well the Royal Enfield is built in India, and has been an Indian company since they stopped being a British colony, so there really isn't a "European" requirement, and any other choice I made besides Indian bike companies (none of them make any big bikes) would be a "Frankenstein", so I'm considering all options.

The CB350 twins are very popular for custom café builds, as are many of the Yamaha twins, but I am hoping to stick to a thumper because the original was a one-lunger. On the other hand, the Continental GT is so beautiful in its stock incarnation (photos do it nooo justice; you have to see it in person) that I'd want to completely redo the visible parts of the engine, if I went with something like the Honda XR650R (~50hp) that is powerful but ugly. And of course, the angle of the piston is very different, so it may take some work to "shoehorn" it in there. All of these are considerations when building a Frankenstein's Monster. Tongue

That's a cool name for a custom Ducati, if I ever decide I want to tackle desmodromic valves!

Edit to Add: Banjo - I actually like that idea, since a Chinese-Indian bike would be beautifully ironic. Sadly, though, I'm looking for more horsepower, not less, and the Chinese seem constitutionally unable to build a machine that isn't an overweight, underpowered dog.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
25-08-2015, 07:50 AM
(25-08-2015 02:27 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  What bike do you ride?

You must have missed my earlier post(s). I ride 2013 navy blue Harley Davidson 110ci CVO Anniversary Road King (#792/900), named Annie, but lately I have been doing most of my saddle time test-riding the bikes I'm building for customers. Because, reasons.

I also have a '96 Honda CBR900RR (being restored), named Rose, and a '72 BSA 750cc Rocket-3 custom Café Racer (still in pieces), named Amilee (ah-MAY-lee), that I'm slowly getting the pieces together to build.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
25-08-2015, 07:51 AM
After my first staff meeting when I first started working for the Methodist church, the 12 of us went out for Chinese. When it came time to open the fortune cookies, I learned about the staff tradition - and the senior pastor went first. It was basically something like "You will have many new adventures...in bed." Took me by surprise and they just laughed their asses off. I still do that every time I have a fortune cookie and giggle like a 12 year old boy.

They were a really great, down to earth group. Most of them had been through various hardships in their lives (divorce, children out of wedlock...terminal illness Sadcryface ) that helped them develop empathy for others instead of the holier than thou bullshit that gets preached at my parents' church.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
25-08-2015, 07:56 AM (This post was last modified: 25-08-2015 10:27 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
(25-08-2015 05:14 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Darn, I guess I'll derail this thread to talk about the original topic.

I was at Braums with my nephew and we were talking about the council of Nicea and how they constructed Christianity. This lady from the next table over kept looking at us with an angry look on her face.

I could tell she didn't like what we were saying, but she was also ignorant of what we were talking about other than Christianity wasn't very real. So I think she was wanting to shout at us "Jesus is real!" but she just sat there in silence glaring. Laugh out load

Mmmm, Braums. Drooling

Yeah, I've had my share of those stares, but since I'm always in my armored jacket and usually with other riders when I discuss atheism in public, nobody says anything to us. Back when I had long hair, and was out to dinner with my field team partner (also long-haired) after a full day's work, one evening in Ulysses, KS (Google Maps it, to see how far out in BFE we were), he and I were talking about the discovery of some new transitional theropod->bird fossils in China, and got a lot of REALLY hostile stares which, when we noticed, we quickly paid the bill and left. Nobody said anything though. Like literally, we realized that no one else was talking at all. Very uncomfortable; we got out of there as fast as our state E-150 van laden with equipment would travel!

Who knows what angry rednecks will do when two long hair "kwarz" start talking about evil-lution™ on their "dinner-date". Blink

25-08-2015, 08:09 AM
(24-08-2015 09:22 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Tonechaser - you sick bastard, getting that old song stuck in my head. Sick sick sick!!! Tongue

LOL... MWS may seem cheesy now but he was the shit back then. He has managed to stayed in the CCM lime light for almost 40 years; not there's much to compare him to though. Cool

**Crickets** -- God
25-08-2015, 09:07 AM
Actually, I'm a big fan of Wayne Watson (have met him a couple of times) and Rich Mullins. Still.