At the Chinese Buffet, Today...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2015, 09:55 AM
RE: At the Chinese Buffet, Today...
(24-08-2015 09:29 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I love listening to other people's conversations.

As a writer, I do that regularly, in order to better learn dialogue, and get ideas for characters.

Some of the crap I hear is amazing.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
25-08-2015, 11:13 AM
(25-08-2015 07:42 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(25-08-2015 12:39 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  As far as modern air-cooled engines, you're probably looking at either a Ducatti (does anyone else really do air-cooled performance engines outside of them anymore?), or something out of a dirtbike. The engines out of the XR650 series are bulletproof, which is why I want one, and the design itself hasn't changed for almost 2 decades (a 15' model looks like a 95' model). Honestly I'm not sure what you'd use if you wanted to keep everything European instead of making some sort of Frankenstein hybrid of pieces. If you wanted to stick with retro air-cooled goodness, maybe a 325.6 cc (36 bhp) parallel twin out of a Honda CB350 / CL350, or a 498 cc parallel twin out of a Yamaha XS500?

Well the Royal Enfield is built in India, and has been an Indian company since they stopped being a British colony, so there really isn't a "European" requirement, and any other choice I made besides Indian bike companies (none of them make any big bikes) would be a "Frankenstein", so I'm considering all options.

The CB350 twins are very popular for custom café builds, as are many of the Yamaha twins, but I am hoping to stick to a thumper because the original was a one-lunger. On the other hand, the Continental GT is so beautiful in its stock incarnation (photos do it nooo justice; you have to see it in person) that I'd want to completely redo the visible parts of the engine, if I went with something like the Honda XR650R (~50hp) that is powerful but ugly. And of course, the angle of the piston is very different, so it may take some work to "shoehorn" it in there. All of these are considerations when building a Frankenstein's Monster. Tongue

That's a cool name for a custom Ducati, if I ever decide I want to tackle desmodromic valves!

Edit to Add: Banjo - I actually like that idea, since a Chinese-Indian bike would be beautifully ironic. Sadly, though, I'm looking for more horsepower, not less, and the Chinese seem constitutionally unable to build a machine that isn't an overweight, underpowered dog.

I had no idea it was Indian, I figured it was British given the name; which I guess got me halfway there.

As far as looks versus performance, you certainly have a conundrum on your hands. The older parallels can often be found with nice chrome finishes, but they're smaller and less powerful than a modern single cylinder. Unfortunately I cannot think of any relatively modern single cylinder that would have a decent displacement and match the ascetics. The closest thing I can think of that would bring a relatively newer engine, in a nice finish, with a decent displacement would be a 90 degree V-twin XV535 Yamaha Virago engine.

[Image: yamaha-xv-535-virago-06.jpg]

The frame looks like it could easily hold the parallel twin out of a Honda 250 Nighthawk/Rebel, but then you're back to only 250cc's and sub 30 hp. Then again there is the somewhat rarer CM400, or the bored out CMX450 (good for 38hp).

[Image: honda-cm-450-e-01.jpg]

[Image: honda-red-shadow.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
25-08-2015, 11:21 AM
So, this one time, I was at a church watching a creationist put on a magic show, while telling all the congregants about the lie of "evilution" and how it is only a "theory". I got so mad that I walked up on stage (and I'm a big, strong guy), grabbed him, and threw him up in the air and off the stage. When he landed, I yelled, "Gravity is only a theory too, ya moron."

Wait, no. I just thought about doing it never mind.

Maybe next time...
[+] 1 user Likes Zoebion's post
25-08-2015, 12:14 PM
(25-08-2015 12:40 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(25-08-2015 12:06 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Hummm. Dodgy This thread went from fortune cookies to motorcycles.

Just sayin'.

Drinking Beverage

You say that like it's a problem. Tongue

When I was around 8 years old, my crazy older brothers put me on the back of a motorcycle and I got the heel of my foot caught in the spokes of the wheel. I survived with a scar. Never been on a motorcycle since.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
25-08-2015, 12:21 PM
(25-08-2015 12:14 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(25-08-2015 12:40 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  You say that like it's a problem. Tongue

When I was around 8 years old, my crazy older brothers put me on the back of a motorcycle and I got the heel of my foot caught in the spokes of the wheel. I survived with a scar. Never been on a motorcycle since.

Well, I guess it's a good thing he didn't do anything to traumatize you with a computer chip, or else you'd be shit outta luck. Tongue

25-08-2015, 01:05 PM
(25-08-2015 12:21 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(25-08-2015 12:14 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  When I was around 8 years old, my crazy older brothers put me on the back of a motorcycle and I got the heel of my foot caught in the spokes of the wheel. I survived with a scar. Never been on a motorcycle since.

Well, I guess it's a good thing he didn't do anything to traumatize you with a computer chip, or else you'd be shit outta luck. Tongue

Ha. It would have been nice if my brothers had told me where to put my little 8 year old feet! The spokes were very exposed on this particular motorcycle. By chance I was wearing some shoes, I was barefoot most of the time when I was a kid, otherwise I'd have severed my achilles tendon and never been a dancer.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
25-08-2015, 02:18 PM
Zoebion nailed me in the head with a metal t-ball bat on a back swing when we were kids. I got too close and *WHACK*

I had an enormous lump on my head... about the size of a fist. Still have the scar.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
25-08-2015, 02:43 PM
(25-08-2015 02:18 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Zoebion nailed me in the head with a metal t-ball bat on a back swing when we were kids. I got too close and *WHACK*

I had an enormous lump on my head... about the size of a fist. Still have the scar.

Well THAT explains a lot!

(Quickly ducks and exits...)

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
25-08-2015, 02:49 PM
(25-08-2015 02:43 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(25-08-2015 02:18 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Zoebion nailed me in the head with a metal t-ball bat on a back swing when we were kids. I got too close and *WHACK*

Well THAT explains a lot!

(Quickly ducks and exits...)

[Image: BbgL7x3.gif]

Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
25-08-2015, 03:04 PM
(25-08-2015 11:13 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I had no idea it was Indian, I figured it was British given the name; which I guess got me halfway there.

It was originally a British company, thus the awesome name. But the Brits kinda ... uh, left in a hurry, so to speak. The Indians had been building the Royal Enfield for almost 50 years with only minor refinements to the design, so it's one of the most bulletproof non-modern bikes out there. Then out of nowhere, they released this Continental GT a couple years ago. They've recently bought/acquired a couple of big-name motorcycle engineering and racing firms, so it looks like after years of stagnancy, they're ready to start being a serious player. Even more amazing is that, despite its lack of power and low-cost brakes/suspension (easily upgraded, but made of cheaper parts for mass production at lower price point), it is an almost flawless design, and those who buy it say they absolutely love it. That is rare for any marque.

(25-08-2015 11:13 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  As far as looks versus performance, you certainly have a conundrum on your hands. The older parallels can often be found with nice chrome finishes, but they're smaller and less powerful than a modern single cylinder. Unfortunately I cannot think of any relatively modern single cylinder that would have a decent displacement and match the ascetics. The closest thing I can think of that would bring a relatively newer engine, in a nice finish, with a decent displacement would be a 90 degree V-twin XV535 Yamaha Virago engine.

Minor quibble - that's a 70 degree V-twin. And none of the Virago engines would come close to fitting in that tiny engine compartment on the Continental GT; if I'm going to alter the frame as much as it would take to fit that in there, I'm better off just building those components myself from scratch.

A LOT of guys have taken to modifying the shaft-driven Virago XV920/1000/1100 and XV700/750 models into some seriously badass café setups:

[Image: Y37LR.jpg]

(25-08-2015 11:13 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  The frame looks like it could easily hold the parallel twin out of a Honda 250 Nighthawk/Rebel, but then you're back to only 250cc's and sub 30 hp. Then again there is the somewhat rarer CM400, or the bored out CMX450 (good for 38hp).

My first bike was a Rebel 350 (it was made in 250, 350, and 450 versions, but the larger ones had vibration issues, so the one that ended up being made the most was ironically the least powerful of the group). My parents wouldn't buy me a car, in a state where the legal driving age was 15 and practically everyone else at my school had a car, so I saved up a whole summer mowing lawns and doing other yardwork around my neighborhood, and when I was 16 I had saved up enough to buy a Rebel that I parked up the street at a friend's house (on condition that he could ride it when I wasn't using it), and a motorcycling lifestyle was born! My friend would come pick me up in his car, and take me back up the street to his house, where I'd jump on my bike to ride to school. Smile

That CM400/CMX450 is a great suggestion, and it has the right look. I was thinking of fabricating some jugs that would make the Honda 650 thumper have the right look (there are many joys of having a CNC machine!), but there's a lot more to a jug, unfortunately, than simply milling out the right-shaped piece of metal, and I just don't have the confidence to fuse the cylinder lining and other hardpoints into the basic jug, or to make an alteration that significant to the outer casing without being able to model it in CAD for stress-analysis, which I can't do until I have even the foggiest idea of everything that goes into that kind of design. Frankly, I'm just not ready for that level of engineering, just yet. I can make better versions of most parts on the bike, like engine cases or triple trees, but engineering major engine components from scratch is a bit beyond my capacity.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson