At the Ohio State Fair

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2017, 08:09 PM
At the Ohio State Fair
We went to the Ohio State Fair yesterday. One of the peddlers was selling baseball caps that said "Keep praying and wait for something to happen." At first I was amused because to me that sounds like something a skeptic would say. However, below in fine print it said "Jesus loves you" so I'm not sure.

There was another one selling magnetic bracelets to cure just about everything. He had a list of ailments (must have been 100 or so) and a bracelet for each. Isn't there a law against making those kinds of claims in order to sell stuff?

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
30-07-2017, 11:35 PM
RE: At the Ohio State Fair
(30-07-2017 08:09 PM)f stop Wrote:  ... There was another one selling magnetic bracelets to cure just about everything. He had a list of ailments (must have been 100 or so) and a bracelet for each ...

Somewhere in those 100 ailments was "delusional" but its bracelet probably wasn't a big seller - nobody needs a cure for what they don't have Tongue
[+] 2 users Like Airportkid's post
31-07-2017, 01:03 AM
(30-07-2017 08:09 PM)f stop Wrote:  Isn't there a law against making those kinds of claims in order to sell stuff?

If there was, then a whole *bunch* of people would immediately go out of business. Stiffing rubes is an honourable profession. Just ask any politician.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
31-07-2017, 10:22 AM
(30-07-2017 08:09 PM)f stop Wrote:  There was another one selling magnetic bracelets to cure just about everything. He had a list of ailments (must have been 100 or so) and a bracelet for each. Isn't there a law against making those kinds of claims in order to sell stuff?

In many places there are laws against false advertisement. Usually, woo peddler can get around them by saying that those magnetic bracelets may help cure just about everything. The slight addition of uncertainty and a more vague language allow them to operate. Placebo may help cure pretty much anything, thus it's not lying.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 2 users Like epronovost's post
31-07-2017, 10:34 AM
(30-07-2017 08:09 PM)f stop Wrote:  We went to the Ohio State Fair yesterday. One of the peddlers was selling baseball caps that said "Keep praying and wait for something to happen." At first I was amused because to me that sounds like something a skeptic would say. However, below in fine print it said "Jesus loves you" so I'm not sure.

There was another one selling magnetic bracelets to cure just about everything. He had a list of ailments (must have been 100 or so) and a bracelet for each. Isn't there a law against making those kinds of claims in order to sell stuff?

I would hope so. I reported some stuff i was getting in the US Mail about copper and Titanium curing diabetes as well as high blood pressure and was told that they were put out of business.
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
31-07-2017, 11:53 AM
(30-07-2017 08:09 PM)f stop Wrote:  We went to the Ohio State Fair yesterday. One of the peddlers was selling baseball caps that said "Keep praying and wait for something to happen." At first I was amused because to me that sounds like something a skeptic would say. However, below in fine print it said "Jesus loves you" so I'm not sure.

I saw the baseball hat guy. Just laughed when he gave me a dirty look because of my "science doesn't care about your beliefs" shirt.
[+] 3 users Like ohio_drg's post
31-07-2017, 12:27 PM
(31-07-2017 11:53 AM)ohio_drg Wrote:  

I saw the baseball hat guy. Just laughed when he gave me a dirty look because of my "science doesn't care about your beliefs" shirt.

I would've bought a couple. It describes the religious view on life perfectly. I swear my 6 yo grand daughter is more literate than most of these fools.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
31-07-2017, 05:33 PM

it's a fair. Buying stupid stuff is half the fun.
[+] 1 user Likes AB517's post
01-08-2017, 09:10 AM
At the fair, at the fair,
where I first saw the light
and the Ferris wheel broke and rolled away....

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
01-08-2017, 09:23 AM
(01-08-2017 09:10 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  At the fair, at the fair,
where I first saw the light
and the Ferris wheel broke and rolled away....
It was there by faith I received my sight
And now I am happy all the day.

That old gospel song you mangled there, is a perfect illustration of the value proposition of fundamentalist religious faith: clarity of sight / certitude and unsullied, continual happiness.

Too bad it's not true; the certitude is fake, the happiness, you're expected to fake.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post