At the zoo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2016, 01:01 AM
At the zoo
We went to the zoo last week. At the bonobo exhibit only a pane of glass separates the human and the bonobos. One child, a preschooler, was very close to the glass. Suddenly, the bonobo on the other side hit the glass with her fist, causing the child to jump back. Then, I swear, the bonobo laughed.

We generally think of humans as the only animals that laugh (what hyenas do is not really laughter). But I swear the bonobo laughed, like hitting the glass and watching the human react was a big joke.

Genetically bonobos are closer to humans than any other animal (over 99% common genome). Score one for evolution.

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like f stop's post
16-05-2016, 01:21 AM
RE: At the zoo
(16-05-2016 01:01 AM)f stop Wrote:  We went to the zoo last week. At the bonobo exhibit only a pane of glass separates the human and the bonobos. One child, a preschooler, was very close to the glass. Suddenly, the bonobo on the other side hit the glass with her fist, causing the child to jump back. Then, I swear, the bonobo laughed.

We generally think of humans as the only animals that laugh (what hyenas do is not really laughter). But I swear the bonobo laughed, like hitting the glass and watching the human react was a big joke.

Genetically bonobos are closer to humans than any other animal (over 99% common genome). Score one for evolution.

I was under the impression that all of our great ape cousins are capable of laughter or a very close approximation.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
16-05-2016, 02:23 AM
aren't chimps our closest relatives ?
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post
16-05-2016, 03:03 AM
(16-05-2016 02:23 AM)Ace Wrote:  aren't chimps our closest relatives ?

Bonobos are a subspecies of chimp IIRC.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
16-05-2016, 10:02 AM
At the zoo
The great apes are my favorite exhibit at most zoos.* I explain it as being fond of my relatives. If you stand and watch for an extended time, it's almost impossible to not start seeing "human" mannerisms manifest. I especially like it when I lock gazes with one of them; it's almost too easy to imagine we're trading thoughts. Kind of makes you wonder if Tarzan was all that implausible.

* I refuse to go near an exhibit where the apes are penned in the old-style cages.

Oh crap!
16-05-2016, 05:39 PM
I think they are our cousins according to the theory of evolution. But I may be wrong.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
16-05-2016, 05:48 PM
(16-05-2016 03:03 AM)morondog Wrote:  

Bonobos are a subspecies of chimp IIRC.

Bonobos are a sister species of the common chimpanzee, the both belong to the Pan genus.

(16-05-2016 05:39 PM)Alla Wrote:  

I think they are our cousins according to the theory of evolution. But I may be wrong.

Chimps are a good approximation of a cousin in terms of species. They are the closest to humans genetically among the various cousin species we have.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
16-05-2016, 06:26 PM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2016 07:20 PM by Dom.)
Quote:Convergent evidence indicates that non-human animals have the neuroanatomical, neurochemical, and neurophysiological substrates of conscious states along with the capacity to exhibit intentional behaviors. Consequently, the weight of evidence indicates that humans are not unique in possessing the neurological substrates that generate consciousness. Non-human animals, including all mammals and birds, and many other creatures, including octopuses, also possess these neurological substrates.[90]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_cognition

Anyone who interacts regularly with non-utility animals will have anecdotal observation of various emotions in a variety of animals.

Personally, I have interacted with dogs, cats, birds and larger mammals for some 50 years, as trainer, care giver and just companion.

I totally understand why people cite projection when they hear of animals with emotions. Yes, a lot of pet owners totally project (one of my pet peeves because it ruins the ability to train the animal to be a "good citizen".)

But seriously, have you not seen fear in an animal? That is a primal emotion. Have you not seen a happy animal? Really?

In research, tests with animals have also demonstrated the presence of empathy.

In my opinion, they feel many if not most of the emotions we are born with, but not the learned ones like guilt. One of these days I am going to kill someone who claims their dog feels guilty. What they see is fear, not guilt.

Ok, I have no idea where I am going with this.Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
16-05-2016, 08:36 PM

Sapere aude
17-05-2016, 04:49 AM
Of course animals can laugh......

The baby orang-utan for instance.............BTW an Orang-Utan is not a monkey as stated on the video. It's an ape.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 2 users Like Silly Deity's post