At what point are you considered rich?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2015, 08:14 PM
At what point are you considered rich?
Obama wants to tax the rich, and frankly I'm all for that, but at what point is a person considered rich? The Republicans have a different view of rich than the Democrats. I'm pretty poor so anyone making over $200,000 (US dollars) a year is rich to me but many people would consider this middle class.

So what's rich, what's poor, what's middle class?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2015, 08:30 PM
RE: At what point are you considered rich?
It depends on where in the U.S. you live. On the coasts, $200K will not get you much past a middle class lifestyle, but in some areas of the south and Midwest, you would live in relative luxury.
Also, taxation is relative. The amount Obama's administration wants to raise taxes on this particular bracket is chump change compared to even what they were taxed under Carter and Nixon. Taxes were slashed so dramatically over the last few decades few remember the 90% tax brackets under Eisenhower (no, I'm not advocating for 90% tax brackets). But they were real - and we aren't even speaking about capital gains cuts and the like. So put it all in perspective. The rich get richer, DRAMATICALLY. We are in a point in U.S. history much like that right before and during the depression - the reverse bell curve from the turn of the last century until now is obvious if you graph it. The haves and the have-nots are SERIOUSLY divided, and it is destructive. A minor tax hike like Obama wants (and will likely NOT get) is only a small part of what should be done.
[+] 1 user Likes tln88's post
02-02-2015, 08:33 PM
At no point in my life, at least not yet.
02-02-2015, 08:40 PM
If your money works for you and you don't work for your money, then you're rich, but people can work and still be rich.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
02-02-2015, 09:12 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if the 1% were actually christians?

[Image: 540x293_20140306_eecadbe1cd1fc98c6646adc...c8_png.png]

[Image: rich-ruler-cartoon.jpg]

Obama is just trying to be a good christian

[Image: jesus.gif]

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
03-02-2015, 09:50 AM
Anyone who earns more than me is rich. As long as the line is above me, tax the hell out of them, what do I care?

In all seriousness, in the northeast and most of California, $200k in household income is not a lot. We are heavily taxed and the cost of living is really high. For a single person it's a lot of cash. For a family? Not so much. A family that lives above the Mason Dixon line and is within 50 miles of salt water and doesn't earn at least $100k is below the poverty line in my opinion.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
03-02-2015, 10:05 AM
"Rich" is like "fast"

It's meaning is totally dependent upon an observer.

If you went by "majority rules" -- counting every person alive, and who's ever lived?

Having 3 meals a day, is more than most people have ever had.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
03-02-2015, 10:25 AM
(03-02-2015 09:50 AM)BnW Wrote:  Anyone who earns more than me is rich. As long as the line is above me, tax the hell out of them, what do I care?

In all seriousness, in the northeast and most of California, $200k in household income is not a lot. We are heavily taxed and the cost of living is really high. For a single person it's a lot of cash. For a family? Not so much. A family that lives above the Mason Dixon line and is within 50 miles of salt water and doesn't earn at least $100k is below the poverty line in my opinion.

I've spent my entire life poor to lower middle class but I watch the rich get out of paying taxes and finding loopholes. It really pisses me off.

I just feel like complaining about stuff today. Sad I'm in a bad mood.Angry

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
03-02-2015, 10:31 AM
It's cleary subjective. I probably earn more money than 98 or 99% of the world's population. If there are 7 billion people in the world, I suspect If I'm not in the top 70 million, I'm art least in the top 140.

In the U.S., I'm certainly in the top 10%. But, there is a massive gap between the top 1% and the next percentage down. I can't compare myself to someone who may not get 3 meals a day and basic needs like housing and medicine, but it's not like I'm rolling in dough.

An I rich? I guess it depends who you compare me to.

03-02-2015, 10:34 AM
(03-02-2015 10:25 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(03-02-2015 09:50 AM)BnW Wrote:  Anyone who earns more than me is rich. As long as the line is above me, tax the hell out of them, what do I care?

I've spent my entire life poor to lower middle class but I watch the rich get out of paying taxes and finding loopholes. It really pisses me off.

I just feel like complaining about stuff today. Sad I'm in a bad mood.Angry

If it makes you feel better, I pay a shit-ton in taxes. I make too much to qualify for any income based deduction and I make too little to be able too shield my income. I'm the true meaning of middle class - too poor to afford anything and too rich to get any help. College for two kids is going to bankrupt me.

[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post