At what point are you considered rich?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2015, 11:37 AM
RE: At what point are you considered rich?
Someone once told me "Whomever dies with the most toys wins". I completely disagree. I think whomever dies with the most uncollected debt wins.

My wife has talked me into a major home renovation that has us well on our way to winning. Between that and the cost of college in 4 years, we will be damn near bankrupt.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2015, 11:42 AM
(04-02-2015 12:55 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  [Image: f823b75e79e391f9521d4c2ae886e4f3.jpg]

This is a fifteen minute walk from my front door.

I am rich. Very rich.

I'm missing the point. A stream of water makes you rich? I have a lake in my backyard. That's not a joke, I have an actual lake just past my property line. If a stream makes you rich, my lake must make me Bill Fucking Gates.

It's a good thing, too, because the stupid flood insurance the bank makes me get for my mortgage ain't cheap.

[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
05-02-2015, 11:59 AM
Me and my sister were just talking about how we feel rich (even though we're not) because we can afford to keep toilet paper in the house! LOL we grew up not affording basic toiletries. When you can't afford TP, you have to get creative with your personal hygiene. Laugh out load

So, my answer is: you are rich if can afford to buy the most luxurious toilet paper brand.

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
[+] 2 users Like LadyWallFlower's post
05-02-2015, 12:10 PM
My parents combined wage is around 38-44k a year.. (pounds.) It might even be as little as 33k. I've always thought of my family as decently well off.. even with 5 other siblings we were all provided for. Seeing you all discuss the hundreds of thousands has made me so envious! To me, 35k+ individually seems rich!

I've always been content with the prospect of a 35k a year job. Maybe my ambition is lacking.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
05-02-2015, 01:09 PM
UK and US are very different economies. There are things you get as taxpayers, like universal healthcare, that we pay extra for. You can't really compare pay scales.

05-02-2015, 01:11 PM
(05-02-2015 01:09 PM)BnW Wrote:  UK and US are very different economies. There are things you get as taxpayers, like universal healthcare, that we pay extra for. You can't really compare pay scales.

Very true. Really aren't thinking straight today haha

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
05-02-2015, 01:19 PM
I used to work for a UK company and pay scale disparity came up all the time. The common refrain was "what costs a dollar costs a pound". The problem with that argument is what costs $100 doesn't generally cost near 100 GBP. So, the argument just didn't hold up.

05-02-2015, 01:27 PM
(04-02-2015 12:24 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(04-02-2015 12:01 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  It's a little bit like being a big fish in a small pond.

I'm surrounded by blue collar workers... plumbers, construction workers and truck drivers. One guy down the street mows lawns for the city. My husband is a teacher and I have a small business. But some of the construction guys make more money than we do even though both my husband and I have masters degrees.

My one consolation is that my hubby and I are smart, intelligent, forward looking and literate people. We may not make as much money as the truck driver and his nutty religious wife but we're fuckin smarter. Thumbsup

But are you happy with "only" being smarter? Angel

We can't help comparing ourselves to others, it is our favorite pastime. I know I constantly have to remind myself how lucky I am to have what I have when I see what others have in comparison.

I would rather be a lower middle class intelligent, open minded, well read person than a upper class, money making, bigoted, homophobic, religious simpleton. So yeah, I feel rich in the brain and I like that. It makes me happy.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
05-02-2015, 01:31 PM
I think here it`s categorised via income per year.

Once you have a certain income per year the state decides that your rich.

And in most cases I guess it is fitting.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
05-02-2015, 04:15 PM
(05-02-2015 11:59 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  Me and my sister were just talking about how we feel rich (even though we're not) because we can afford to keep toilet paper in the house! LOL we grew up not affording basic toiletries. When you can't afford TP, you have to get creative with your personal hygiene. Laugh out load

So, my answer is: you are rich if can afford to buy the most luxurious toilet paper brand.

Rich is being busy doing stuff you're interested in, and pretty much never thinking about whether you have enough to cover your basic expenses. If that doesn't include expensive junk, you're rich.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post