At what point are you considered rich?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2015, 01:22 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2015 01:25 PM by Stark Raving.)
RE: At what point are you considered rich?
(05-02-2015 11:42 AM)BnW Wrote:  
(04-02-2015 12:55 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  [Image: f823b75e79e391f9521d4c2ae886e4f3.jpg]

This is a fifteen minute walk from my front door.

I am rich. Very rich.

I'm missing the point. A stream of water makes you rich? I have a lake in my backyard. That's not a joke, I have an actual lake just past my property line. If a stream makes you rich, my lake must make me Bill Fucking Gates.

It's a good thing, too, because the stupid flood insurance the bank makes me get for my mortgage ain't cheap.

That's ok. It's a point easily missed when you equate wealth with money. (That's honestly not a shot. You're probably in the majority). My point is that being rich means having an abundance of what you consider valuable. It's hard for some people to grasp, but money isn't as valuable to me as it is to you.

Think of it this way...you keep from starving by making enough money to buy food. Therefore it's perfectly reasonable to expect that you consider money necessary to survive. Ergo money is valuable to you. I keep from starving by making sure I've grown, harvested, and preserved enough food to survive on. So to me, things like location (somewhere with fertile soil, a long growing season, and an abundance of fresh water) are more valuable than income. Of course money matters to me, just a lot less than you.

I have an abundance of the things I consider valuable. I am rich. Make sense?

Edit to add: By my standards your lake does make you rich (or at least contributes to your wealth). But only if your values match mine, which they don't.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
07-02-2015, 05:02 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2015 05:15 PM by Full Circle.)
Different strokes for different folks, this article has some good graphics on where the uber-rich live in NYC. When you can buy a 20.5 million dollar condo for cash and it isn’t even your primary residence, yeah well, this is stupidly wealthy. Top 0.001% of the world wealthy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/08/nyregi...pe=article

But Starke makes a very good point, wealth and being rich are not necessarily related. Depends entirely on what you, as an individual, value.

For me I value free time to do what I want. I can’t tell you how often I’ve had heated discussions with my brothers because they consider me cheap. I save money so that I don’t have to go to work for anyone. I place an enormous amount of importance in being my own boss and calling my own shots.

My wife and I have lived below our means since the first day we met 27 years ago. The money we saved and invested works for us and not the other way around. We have a modest house, drive our vehicles into the ground and still own some furniture that we bought more than twenty years ago. On the other hand we love to travel and travel we do. We consider ourselves rich because we “buy and collect” experiences not things. Sharing these experiences means all to us.

Meanwhile my brothers cannot afford not to go to work because they have to pay for all their stuff. Tons of stuff. Ironic because they make more money than I ever did and yet they are slaves and I am free. It all depends on the person’s point of view.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
07-02-2015, 05:44 PM
(05-02-2015 04:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Rich is being busy doing stuff you're interested in, and pretty much never thinking about whether you have enough to cover your basic expenses. If that doesn't include expensive junk, you're rich.

No no, you're rich if can afford to buy the most luxurious toilet paper brand. What you said was just crazy talk. Sleepy

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
[+] 2 users Like LadyWallFlower's post
07-02-2015, 05:52 PM
(07-02-2015 01:22 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(05-02-2015 11:42 AM)BnW Wrote:  I'm missing the point. A stream of water makes you rich? I have a lake in my backyard. That's not a joke, I have an actual lake just past my property line. If a stream makes you rich, my lake must make me Bill Fucking Gates.

It's a good thing, too, because the stupid flood insurance the bank makes me get for my mortgage ain't cheap.

That's ok. It's a point easily missed when you equate wealth with money. (That's honestly not a shot. You're probably in the majority). My point is that being rich means having an abundance of what you consider valuable. It's hard for some people to grasp, but money isn't as valuable to me as it is to you.

Think of it this way...you keep from starving by making enough money to buy food. Therefore it's perfectly reasonable to expect that you consider money necessary to survive. Ergo money is valuable to you. I keep from starving by making sure I've grown, harvested, and preserved enough food to survive on. So to me, things like location (somewhere with fertile soil, a long growing season, and an abundance of fresh water) are more valuable than income. Of course money matters to me, just a lot less than you.

I have an abundance of the things I consider valuable. I am rich. Make sense?

Edit to add: By my standards your lake does make you rich (or at least contributes to your wealth). But only if your values match mine, which they don't.

Yes, I understood the point. I was just having fun with you.

Btw, here's a picture of my lake:[Image: reservoir_1.jpg]

Pretty cool, huh? See, I'm Bill Fucking Gates, just like I said. Although it's not actually mine. I just get the benefit of it (as well as the flood insurance bill - I get that too).

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
07-02-2015, 06:39 PM
Wow! Bill Fucking Gates is right! What kind of fish you pull out of that beauty?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
07-02-2015, 07:50 PM
The best thing about having money is being able to do for others, and not having to worry about being able to provide. Also, knowing that you worked your ass off for it, and had the discipline to reach very long term career goals. Hard work is its own reward, even if it isn't well paid work monetarily.

I don't ever plan to retire in the traditional sense. The more I have, the less I want, and the more I feel rewarded by the intrinsic value of good work, not the monetary. Work hard and love hard!
07-02-2015, 07:57 PM
Context is important. I had way more financial freedom making the equivalent of about $1200 per month in China, where my rent was about $80 per month, than I do making 6k to 10k per month (depending on how much overtime I feel like putting in) in Canada, where shit is expensive and income tax is damn near half my pay.

'Murican Canadian
07-02-2015, 09:16 PM
(07-02-2015 06:39 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Wow! Bill Fucking Gates is right! What kind of fish you pull out of that beauty?

Bill Gates doesn't fish, so no clue. Whatever the powers that be stock it with. I see people fishing all the time, so either they are all really stupid (an option I consider a reasonable possibility ) or someone stocks the lake with fish. But, I've no personal experience.

I've almost hit a few bird watchers driving home, and I've actually seen some of the birds they watch. I think they are all naturally occurring, no stocking required. I don't get bird watching. I see birds all the time. What's the big deal that you have to walk into traffic to watch them?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost