At what point is it (time to die)?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2012, 12:51 PM
At what point is it (time to die)?
I got to thinking about this, since it has come up in a few threads lately. If you could just throw a switch mentally and just shut yourself off permanently (die), at what point in life would you do it? Keep in mind that at some point you will die anyway, even if you don't do it willingly. Would you off yourself if you discovered that you had a fatal illness that would kill you horribly in a few years? Would you wait until nearly dead and in too much pain to go on? If you do grow really old, would you hang on for as long as your body holds out? I am really curious about this. I know my own rules for when it is time to remove myself from this world.

I am sticking around as long as I have enough quality of life to play video games and enjoy myself at least a little. If I am 90 years old and can still grip a controller, then life is worth sticking around for even if I can't do much else. So, at what point for you is life not worth living any more?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2012, 12:57 PM
RE: At what point is it (time to die)?
Quote:If you could just throw a switch mentally and just shut yourself off permanently (die), at what point in life would you do it?

When living is no longer cost-effective. When it takes more effort than its pleasures are worth.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 3 users Like Peterkin's post
08-12-2012, 01:14 PM
There's a whole bunch on instances where I'd willingly off myself.
But it all boils down to what Peterkin said.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-12-2012, 01:52 PM
(08-12-2012 12:57 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  
Quote:If you could just throw a switch mentally and just shut yourself off permanently (die), at what point in life would you do it?

When living is no longer cost-effective. When it takes more effort than its pleasures are worth.
Ya, pretty much exactly this.

If suffering outweighs pleasure, and there is no way to change that, it's my time. The key for me is knowing there is no way to change the suffering vs pleasure. I'd need to be convinced there is no way to recover to consider ending my life. I really have no qualms with suicide at all, so long as it's done according to the morals and standards laid out by the person who is suffering. (I definitely consider a lack of quality of life as suffering. Suffering doesn't just mean physical pain or debilitating illness)

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
08-12-2012, 02:12 PM
(08-12-2012 01:52 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(08-12-2012 12:57 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  When it takes more effort than its pleasures are worth.
Ya, pretty much exactly this.

I definitely consider a lack of quality of life as suffering. Suffering doesn't just mean physical pain or debilitating illness

Yep, those two.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
08-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Two minutes to Midnight seems like a good time.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
08-12-2012, 02:28 PM
After I get rid of everybody on my list.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 2 users Like frankiej's post
08-12-2012, 03:50 PM
When Rutger Hauer says it is.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-12-2012, 03:50 AM
(08-12-2012 12:51 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  Keep in mind that at some point you will die anyway, even if you don't do it willingly.

[Image: tumblr_m6q8hs4Bi81qm3uxd.gif]
SINCE WHEN?!?! WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME?!?!?!
[Image: tumblr_m5c43hnR7J1r4f68z.gif]

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post