Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-06-2012, 08:37 AM
Atheism
There is a difference between the notion that Atheism does not make any positive claims and the notion that Atheists are capable of making positive claims.

Discuss Drinking Beverage

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-06-2012, 08:41 AM
RE: Atheism
What would be a positive claim of atheism?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-06-2012, 08:50 AM
Never said there was one.

Matt
22-06-2012, 09:02 AM
I understand the notion that atheists don't make a positive claim, but I am unsure of the second part. It's hard to discuss a vague subject. Just for the sake of argument, would "god does not exist" count as a positive claim in your opinion? I realize 'not' is a negative statement, but most theists would demand evidence. This form of hard atheism differs from agnostic atheism which posits that it's impossible to know of the existence of god.
22-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Would "We believe in the non-existence of supernatural beings." work as a positive statement?
Usually God is defined by theists in such a way that it is physically impossible to prove the existence of a God. As atheists, the most we can do is to highlight why God is unnecessary in certain processes theists claim that God is necessary.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
22-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Here's a positive claim "I believe the universe behaves according to physical laws and so far we have only observed the universe changing according to those physical laws."

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
22-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Oh, here we go. Ghost gets his tail tweaked in the other thread; now he comes over here with a whole wardrobe of red capes...

I don't agree with any of them notions. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
22-06-2012, 12:02 PM
I don't think people are getting it. It said AtheisM and AtheisTS. AtheisM doesn't make positive claims. But an AtheiST can.

Re-discuss.

Hey, Cantor.

I resemble that remark!

Matt
[+] 2 users Like Ghost's post
22-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Atheism doesn't make any claims at all. It's a word. A word used to describe a persons lack of belief in a god. That's pretty much it. Am I missing something from a previous thread?

Atheists can make all sorts of claims both positive and negative. Because an atheist is but a human being (maybe other animals too, I haven't asked) I feel as though there is more to this thread.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
22-06-2012, 12:13 PM
I can't help but think "negative belief" is a cop-out. It's the same kinda theistic intellectual laziness. It's... the golden rule. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post