Atheism’s 10 Commandments

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2014, 05:38 PM
RE: Atheism’s 10 Commandments
(21-12-2014 04:50 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  If I'm making commandments, then I'm going to make sure they benefit me and possibly others.

1. Give me all your money.

2. All food is free.

3. All housing is free.

4 All health care is free

5 All education is free.

6 Everyone over the age of 18 will work somewhere.

7 Those unable to work or unwilling to work will be sent to cannibal island.

8 Be happy

9 Don't be a dick

10 Really, don't be a dick

#9 and #10 are golden!

I’m still pondering #7

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2014, 05:40 PM
(21-12-2014 05:04 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  1. Do not harm others or make life miserable for other human beings. We live life together here on this world, and it may be the only life we will ever have. So treat every moment of others lives as if they were our own.

2. Do not try to regulate, control or prohibit the free flow of information, technology and the Internet. To set limits on what people can do with code, or prohibit the free flow of information of any kind is not ethical, and will only lead to crime and rebellion. It is better for humanity to have free access to all rather then to selfishly hoard it for profit or power.

3. The free flow of knowledge should be free. All knowledge should belong to all people who request, or desire to obtain it. Education should be free at all levels and no one should be limited by their purse or origin.

4. You will not admit to others doing a crime that they themselves have not done. Nor will you admit to deeds others have done.

5. Do not condemn people for their ethnicity, color, or their inborn nature.

6. Do not ever even think of using people as private or public propriety. People are not propriety of any other.

7. Hide your face and weep, if you dare to harm a child.

8. Be logical and not faithful.

9. Share with others your land, food, money, or anything else you are able too if they are truly in need.

10. Denounce any religion, any god, and any ideology, if any commandments, tenants, laws, rules, or edicts should contradict the above.

Looks like you don’t need my help Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
21-12-2014, 05:50 PM
Leaving aside previous comments on parallels with religion (on the basis that religion is irrelevant anyway), my main concern is that "Commandment" implies "Command".

I happen to think there's a lot to be said for the principle that ethics should not be imposed from an authority (aka Ethical Egoism) for a multitude of reasons.

Phrase them as values perhaps?

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
21-12-2014, 05:55 PM
(21-12-2014 05:50 PM)gofish! Wrote:  Leaving aside previous comments on parallels with religion (on the basis that religion is irrelevant anyway), my main concern is that "Commandment" implies "Command".

I happen to think there's a lot to be said for the principle that ethics should not be imposed from an authority (aka Ethical Egoism) for a multitude of reasons.

Phrase them as values perhaps?

Sure I’m good with that. I used commandments because the article uses that.

Atheism’s 10 Rules for Living
Atheism’s 10 Life Suggestions
Atheism’s 10 Values
The 10 Rules of Atheism

1. Do unto others as they would have you do unto them
(not everyone likes what you like )

23-12-2014, 12:42 AM
(21-12-2014 05:55 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  1. Do unto others as they would have you do unto them
(not everyone likes what you like )
Hmmm...pretty sure that one is still problematic...

Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
23-12-2014, 01:14 AM (This post was last modified: 23-12-2014 02:03 AM by EvolutionKills.)
1. Be excellent to each other.
2. Party on dudes.

[Image: beexcellent1.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
23-12-2014, 05:46 AM
(23-12-2014 01:14 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  1. Be excellent to each other.
2. Party on dudes.

[Image: beexcellent1.jpg]

These get my vote.

No really. As my view on ethics is that they should come from within, commanding them outside usurps my right to define them for myself.

I also happen to think that the scientific method is not a commandment: it is only a tool. It is the knowledge that it uncovers and the motivation behind the pursuit of that knowledge which matters, which comes back to ethics and, most importantly, values.

So remove ethics and tools and there really are only guiding values that are left: these are probably as much as you need.

Me.
[+] 2 users Like gofish!'s post
23-12-2014, 06:40 AM
Um no........."Atheist" is not a moral code, it is a position. We do not need to compete with religion by making lists of our own personal desires of what we think a moral list should look like.

Pluralism already in secular common law allows anyone to question which is the "open mind" part is.

I really get a lip twitch when atheists try to mimic religion. We are not a religion and I do NOT have everything in common with all other atheists. It is not a club or a political party or a loyalty oath. I have a duty to an open society to the rights of everyone, even if I know they are full of shit.

I hate it when I hear atheists say "When we become the majority we will treat you better". UM NO, evolution doesnt have a damned thing to do with labels, and if atheists think because they are a minority now and or that because they dont hold a god belief, that magically makes them moral, we will simply go on to repeat the same mistakes our species has always made. Our failure will be the same failure to understand we are ALL capable of compassion and cruelty and our species morality is in our evolution, not the labels we hold.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-12-2014, 07:29 AM
I don't have commandment list to offer myself, but wanted to argue against the notion that such a list is silly, bad etc.

An examination of the real world evidence tells us that the ten commandments have survived something like 3,000 years. If you believe in evolution, you'll see that this particular concept has prospered in the cultural marketplace of ideas for a long time, which strongly suggests it serves some useful purpose for some significant number of people.

One purpose I see is that everybody can use some guidance in their life (except of course young twerps who already know everything better than anyone else by age 24) and most people simply are not intellectual philosophical types. Thus, boiling some time tested advice down in to a simple list can be seen as entirely rational.

Further, we can propose that the fact that some of our members are against religion is, in itself, largely worthless information that should be of little interest to readers. No offense, but who cares?

What would be useful is a process of offering constructive alternatives to religion. A ten commandments style list might be effective in sharing the basics of such a constructive alternative with modern readers, who rarely spend more than 30 seconds reading anything.

Knee jerk rejections of everything and anything that contains any reference or relationship with religion whatsoever is sophomoric, and I do mean high school sophomores.

The rational person examines religion with an open objective mind, takes what can be useful and uses it, while discarding that which appears to not be useful.

If a member is going to do the blind rejection of anything religious thing, they aren't doing reason, but are instead nothing more than atheist ideologue, which is no different than a theist ideologue.

The adamant blind believing we are superior thing is one of the qualities of some religions which should be discarded, not imitated. I think that would probably be in my commandment list somewhere.
[+] 1 user Likes Baba Bozo's post
23-12-2014, 04:41 PM (This post was last modified: 24-12-2014 03:09 AM by gofish!.)
(23-12-2014 06:40 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Um no........."Atheist" is not a moral code, it is a position. We do not need to compete with religion by making lists of our own personal desires of what we think a moral list should look like.

Pluralism already in secular common law allows anyone to question which is the "open mind" part is.

I really get a lip twitch when atheists try to mimic religion. We are not a religion and I do NOT have everything in common with all other atheists. It is not a club or a political party or a loyalty oath. I have a duty to an open society to the rights of everyone, even if I know they are full of shit.

I hate it when I hear atheists say "When we become the majority we will treat you better". UM NO, evolution doesnt have a damned thing to do with labels, and if atheists think because they are a minority now and or that because they dont hold a god belief, that magically makes them moral, we will simply go on to repeat the same mistakes our species has always made. Our failure will be the same failure to understand we are ALL capable of compassion and cruelty and our species morality is in our evolution, not the labels we hold.
Umm....no back atcha.

Who said I was talking about atheism? I was talking about my personal values (and not morals).

If it makes you feel any better, I do agree atheism is not a code but simply a necessary counterargument to a very poorly formed hypothesis (I.e religion).

Me.