Atheism +

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-04-2013, 08:34 AM
RE: Atheism +
I intensely dislike Atheism+. If you look at the way the group evolved on the internet, it was NOT a bunch of atheists who said, "hey, we should apply our rational thinking skills to other areas."

This group came about because there are some atheists out there who hold rabid, and I mean RABID social views. These people decided to try and convince other atheists that because they held the common view that there was no God, all "real" atheists should also get on board or GTFO with their rabid social views. They are trying to supplant their dogmatic beliefs about non-related issues onto atheism.

I've said this many times. Being an atheist doesn't mean you are good, bad, nice, mean, smart, stupid, just, unjust, or anything else. It means you don't believe there are magical sky people, and that is it. Anyone who tries to exploit it by turning it into something else to support their own personal social agenda can go fuck themselves.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Superluminal's post
21-04-2013, 10:04 PM
Basically Atheism+, except they love science.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
21-04-2013, 11:42 PM
(20-04-2013 08:34 AM)Superluminal Wrote:  I intensely dislike Atheism+. If you look at the way the group evolved on the internet, it was NOT a bunch of atheists who said, "hey, we should apply our rational thinking skills to other areas."

This group came about because there are some atheists out there who hold rabid, and I mean RABID social views. These people decided to try and convince other atheists that because they held the common view that there was no God, all "real" atheists should also get on board or GTFO with their rabid social views. They are trying to supplant their dogmatic beliefs about non-related issues onto atheism.

I've said this many times. Being an atheist doesn't mean you are good, bad, nice, mean, smart, stupid, just, unjust, or anything else. It means you don't believe there are magical sky people, and that is it. Anyone who tries to exploit it by turning it into something else to support their own personal social agenda can go fuck themselves.

I think the reason I hate these debates over Atheism+ the most is because this is where atheists show themselves to be the most irrational. No, not the atheist+er's... seriously, if you don't like their movement, then just don't be one. The irrationality is coming from those who try to explain why it's a bad thing.

Quoted here we have a sample of the genetic fallacy (calling something bad because it's beginning is bad) followed by the common misrepresentation of atheism+ ("exploiting atheism by turning it into something else"). The women who started this movement didn't try to replace atheism with it, but to give atheism a positive face. And yet, these discussions have done exactly the opposite by showing theists that we can be just as divided over stupid beliefs (such as what constitutes "true" atheism as opposed to this "denomination" of atheism).

I'm not an atheist+, and I think the whole idea is stupid. But who cares? I don't have to be one, and neither do any of you. But for the sake of theists who don't know any better, do we have to put on such a grand display of prejudice?

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-04-2013, 05:34 AM
(21-04-2013 11:42 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  But for the sake of theists who don't know any better, do we have to put on such a grand display of prejudice?

A) Fuck them. I ain't better than anyone, and I ain't gonna act that way. And I ain't gonna let guests in my house tell me how to behave.

B) Because it is simple primitive fun to beat my chest and throw shit at people. The amount of truth in the contention that we are logical animals is less than the amount of truth in the contention that we are emotional beasts. Better behavior would be to dig a hole and shove all the Christians in it and start over. That's my logic. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user