Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2013, 11:09 AM
RE: Atheism
I love drive-by theists. You only have to read their crappy arguments once.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2013, 11:36 AM (This post was last modified: 21-10-2013 11:39 AM by Rahn127.)
(21-10-2013 03:48 AM)Yasmin Wrote:  
(20-10-2013 12:42 PM)Dom Wrote:  Everyone here is tired of people coming in here to tell us who we are and what we think. You simply have no idea and just parrot something you have heard some place.

If you want a conversation, try again and don't tell us about ourselves. Maybe tell us about yourself?

I'm not sure how to respond to the OP but I just wanted to say thank you. You've just said the exact thing felt by many people, including myself, when some atheists bring up Christianity- a lot of things aren't helpful for a conversation or debate, but are instead full of statements designed to put down someone else's values in the most spiteful, ignorant and hurtful way possible. Perhaps if what you've said was followed by Atheists AND Theists when we visit each other's forums, a lot of time could be saved by going straight to the issues, without all the nasty add-ons.

I just find it incredible that when a religion like Christianity is dealt with by saying 'this is stupid, only the weak and brainwashed would believe it'- that's striking a blow for intelligence. When the same, rather sloppy approach, is used against atheism- that's someone being ignorant and insensitive?

Yasmin, the thing is most everything the OP has said is not true, so if you feel the same way as the OP, your feelings are based off of things that are not true.
It would be the same thing as me saying that I don't like you because your name begins with Y and all people whose name begin with Y are underhanded cocaine fiends who can't be trusted to watch children.

The OP says that atheists fear a god when in fact we don't believe in a god.
The OP goes on to say that this "fear" is why we want to uphold the separation of church and state. This also is a lie.
The constitution provides for us the protection from religion that our founding fathers felt was so important that it was the very first amendment. A state sponsored religion is the last thing this country needs. It's why we fight so hard to ensure that this protection remains in place.
Atheism isn't a religion - Another lie
Our beliefs, our morality are expressed on this website, in books and in laws. We respect the rule of law and as such, our laws provide a way for our society to flourish and grow and a way to hold people accountable for their actions should they break the law. We also have a democracy so that we can change a law that we feel is out dated or needs some some tweaking to be applied more fairly to everyone.

As far as our ideas go. Our ideas pretty good. We only believe things that have evidence to support their claims. Seems like a pretty rational thing to do.
I'm not sure what a smug universe is and it appears that the OP is upset that many of us don't have a belief in an afterlife.

The OP has this general anger toward people who 1) don't share his beliefs and 2) want to ensure that others aren't forced into sharing his beliefs.

So the question is, why is the OP so angry ? And if you share his feelings, why are you so angry ?

I'm fairly certain that if another religion was suddenly required to be taught in schools and that all other religions were banned from being practiced you might be singing another tune and suddenly you would realize why separation of church and state is so important.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
21-10-2013, 01:26 PM
(20-10-2013 11:56 AM)grapenutguy@yahoo.com Wrote:  I've found that atheists (so called) are afraid of God. Their fear is demonstrated in their attempts to eliminate God from the the state. Their fear is demonstrated by over compensating for their belief system to the point that they have turned "atheism" into a religion. Atheists are so sure of their religion that they continually try to eliminate God from politics and education in exchange for no-god. The god atheists have created does not serve them well in the end because in their final hours, unable to express their atheistic, religious thoughts, the so called atheist has no one who will listen to the abject terror inside them as they face an eternity they can no longer control. Where are their beliefs? Their beliefs are on this website and in books and in laws. That's all. Their ideas, beliefs, and faith leaves this earth with them and they have no one to help them beyond the nice little smug universe they've created for themselves in this world. At this point, how utterly small do their ideas appear? Very small indeed. What will atheists say when they take their final breath and try to hold it before their self leaves their body? We'll never know, no one will know except the so called atheist and the real God of creation.

I've found that theists are troubled by the conflicting ideas that their god is all loving, yet will send anyone who doesn't believe in him to be tortured for infinity years. Their dissonance is demonstrated by convincing themselves that atheists actually do believe and are rebelling to make it easier to stomach their beliefs. Theists are so sure of their religion that they continually try to shoehorn God into politics and education. The god theists have created dost not serve them well as belief in him creates more trouble than it fixes, and leaves them praying to attempt to control things they cannot. Where are their beliefs? Their beliefs are in a heavily (and poorly) edited book of mythology. That's all. Their ideas, beliefs, and faith leaves this earth with them and they have no one to help them beyond the nice little smug universe they've created for themselves in this world. At this point, how utterly small do their ideas appear? Very small indeed. What will theists say when they take their final breath and try to hold it before their self leaves their body? We'll never know, no one will know since they will stop existing as a conscious entity at that point.

Wow, that was easy.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
21-10-2013, 01:40 PM
(21-10-2013 11:36 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Yasmin, the thing is most everything the OP has said is not true, so if you feel the same way as the OP, your feelings are based off of things that are not true.
It would be the same thing as me saying that I don't like you because your name begins with Y and all people whose name begin with Y are underhanded cocaine fiends who can't be trusted to watch children.
But I don't feel the same as the OP. I said I didn't know how to respond to it because speaking as a Christian that is is not how I see atheists and atheism at all. It was honestly so jumbled I didn't think I could ever pull out anything to respond to.

What I was thanking Dom for was pointing out that generalisation and misunderstandings happen when either side talks about each other out of ignorance or hate.

(21-10-2013 11:36 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  The OP says that atheists fear a god when in fact we don't believe in a god.
The OP goes on to say that this "fear" is why we want to uphold the separation of church and state. This also is a lie.
The constitution provides for us the protection from religion that our founding fathers felt was so important that it was the very first amendment. A state sponsored religion is the last thing this country needs. It's why we fight so hard to ensure that this protection remains in place.
Atheism isn't a religion - Another lie
Our beliefs, our morality are expressed on this website, in books and in laws. We respect the rule of law and as such, our laws provide a way for our society to flourish and grow and a way to hold people accountable for their actions should they break the law. We also have a democracy so that we can change a law that we feel is out dated or needs some some tweaking to be applied more fairly to everyone.

I don't really have anything to add except that I also believe in the separation of Church and state.

(21-10-2013 11:36 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  So the question is, why is the OP so angry ? And if you share his feelings, why are you so angry ?
I can't answer for the OP, I don't share his feelings. If thought I was angry, I was just frustrated about noone ever seeming to want to play nice Smile
21-10-2013, 01:55 PM
(21-10-2013 01:40 PM)Yasmin Wrote:  I don't really have anything to add except that I also believe in the separation of Church and state.

Separation of Church and State is definitely a good thing. Thumbsup

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
21-10-2013, 01:56 PM
(20-10-2013 11:56 AM)grapenutguy@yahoo.com Wrote:  I've found that atheists (so called) are afraid of God.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.