Atheism+...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2014, 07:57 AM
Atheism+...
So as I delve more and more into the atheist community I keep seeing this little + symbol coming up...

Is it just me - as something of a noob - or is this whole Atheism 'plus' idea a little misguided. Adding to the definition of atheism seems to be both deliberately divisive and to miss the point of free-thought in the first place.

The incessant arguments over feminism amongst YT atheists at the minute is a particularly good example and is leaving me with nothing but headaches from all the facepalming...

Rant over.

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-07-2014, 08:06 AM
RE: Atheism+...
(22-07-2014 07:57 AM)CiderThinker Wrote:  So as I delve more and more into the atheist community I keep seeing this little + symbol coming up...

Is it just me - as something of a noob - or is this whole Atheism 'plus' idea a little misguided. Adding to the definition of atheism seems to be both deliberately divisive and to miss the point of free-thought in the first place.

The incessant arguments over feminism amongst YT atheists at the minute is a particularly good example and is leaving me with nothing but headaches from all the facepalming...

Rant over.

I haven't paid much attention to this but there was some sort of scandal about speakers at atheist conferences harassing female atheists sexually. Don't ask me for details, I don't know them. Anyway, that seems to be what spawned atheism+

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
22-07-2014, 08:19 AM
I heard that it was radical feminists who ran the thing. I tend to dislike radical feminists. I like men, and I dislike the kind of misandry that some of those in the atheism+ community show. I also don't like how it divides atheists, who need to be together and to expand more.
[+] 2 users Like natachan's post
22-07-2014, 08:20 AM
Are you refering to the website atheismplus(daught)com?

or something else?

aside from a disbelief in the theistic claim, atheists are as diverse as the population of this planet
[+] 1 user Likes RogueWarrior's post
22-07-2014, 08:25 AM
Here's the thing, I only think that atheists need to be together on their atheism. Any other viewpoints they may hold are their own. Diversity is the strength of the atheist community.

You can get atheists who are feminist or misogynist, pro or anti gun rights, liberal or conservative - WHATEVER.

I really dislike anyone who says to be an atheist you must also hold certain views on certain social topics...

It just goes against the entire free-thought ethos...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

[+] 5 users Like CiderThinker's post
22-07-2014, 08:33 AM
(22-07-2014 08:25 AM)CiderThinker Wrote:  Here's the thing, I only think that atheists need to be together on their atheism. Any other viewpoints they may hold are their own. Diversity is the strength of the atheist community.

You can get atheists who are feminist or misogynist, pro or anti gun rights, liberal or conservative - WHATEVER.

I really dislike anyone who says to be an atheist you must also hold certain views on certain social topics...

Do they really say that all atheists must conform? or do they say that if you want to be a part of their group you have to conform?

(It's not a rhetorical question, I don't know so am asking).

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
22-07-2014, 08:35 AM
(22-07-2014 08:33 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(22-07-2014 08:25 AM)CiderThinker Wrote:  Here's the thing, I only think that atheists need to be together on their atheism. Any other viewpoints they may hold are their own. Diversity is the strength of the atheist community.

Do they really say that all atheists must conform? or do they say that if you want to be a part of their group you have to conform?

Apparently Atheism + is very strong in the attitude of "If you aren't with us, you're against us."
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
22-07-2014, 08:39 AM
(22-07-2014 08:35 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(22-07-2014 08:33 AM)Dom Wrote:  Do they really say that all atheists must conform? or do they say that if you want to be a part of their group you have to conform?

Apparently Atheism + is very strong in the attitude of "If you aren't with us, you're against us."

Yeah - it's what Dan Barker would doubtless describe as 'binary brain'.

Atheists that don't consider nuance is descriptive of a moron without the 'oxy'

[+] 3 users Like CiderThinker's post
22-07-2014, 09:21 AM (This post was last modified: 22-07-2014 09:25 AM by Monster_Riffs.)
I followed a bit of this last year because I like a lot of the Micheal Shermer stuff.... His name popped up because PZ Myers repeated some rape allegations without fact checking, or contacting the authorities. Shermer contested this with a letter from a lawyer and I don't know anything since.... I understand that the allegation was basically, 'we had sex drunk, therefore rape'. It's all a bit strange.... I have watched a few of these militant feminists on you tube. They basically despise men and see sexism in EVERYTHING. Anita Sarkizy, (I have no idea how you spell her name) is probably the worst, they actually blatantly make shit up, particularly about media effects on men and the gaming industry.

As far as the rape stuff goes, I have no idea as to the facts, other than it's public knowledge no criminal complaint was made to the police (that's a bit suspicious) but I have watched a lot of these atheism + women's youtube videos to know they're fucking poisonous hagravens who despise those of us with tackle! They are attention seeking controversy creating scum bags and they seem to be making a career out of it.... I fucking hate them.

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
22-07-2014, 12:08 PM
(22-07-2014 09:21 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  I followed a bit of this last year because I like a lot of the Micheal Shermer stuff.... His name popped up because PZ Myers repeated some rape allegations without fact checking, or contacting the authorities. Shermer contested this with a letter from a lawyer and I don't know anything since.... I understand that the allegation was basically, 'we had sex drunk, therefore rape'. It's all a bit strange.... I have watched a few of these militant feminists on you tube. They basically despise men and see sexism in EVERYTHING. Anita Sarkizy, (I have no idea how you spell her name) is probably the worst, they actually blatantly make shit up, particularly about media effects on men and the gaming industry.

As far as the rape stuff goes, I have no idea as to the facts, other than it's public knowledge no criminal complaint was made to the police (that's a bit suspicious) but I have watched a lot of these atheism + women's youtube videos to know they're fucking poisonous hagravens who despise those of us with tackle! They are attention seeking controversy creating scum bags and they seem to be making a career out of it.... I fucking hate them.

PZ Meyers has done a few stories "rape culture" or whatever where if a man awkwardly asks a woman for a drink, he's obviously a rapist.

He panders and as far as I'm concerned I began to question other things he writes about.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post