Atheism+...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2014, 01:12 PM
Re: RE: Atheism+...
(22-07-2014 08:25 AM)CiderThinker Wrote:  Here's the thing, I only think that atheists need to be together on their atheism. Any other viewpoints they may hold are their own. Diversity is the strength of the atheist community.

You can get atheists who are feminist or misogynist, pro or anti gun rights, liberal or conservative - WHATEVER.

I really dislike anyone who says to be an atheist you must also hold certain views on certain social topics...

It just goes against the entire free-thought ethos...

That's never been any aspect of their actual positions, but as you mention, in diverse groups, diverse opinions exist so some individuals surely have said that.

It's from a desire to have an atheist/humanist group... To people who detract and say, join humanist groups that exist, those frequently aren't atheist first. They're full of many liberal Christians/new age religious belief people... So they made a new group.

Apart from when it was founded, I've never seen anyone complain about it. But like they kept saying then, over time some people joined it and others ignore it,so the controversy is rather phased out.

I'll just say their forum is pretty lame. I recall just seeing a guy with a Calvin and Hobbes avatar always posting.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-07-2014, 01:32 PM
RE: Atheism+...
IIRC there was a big noise about the rape stuff one or two years ago and then like all old scandals it didn't die, it went to infest the youtube comments section.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
22-07-2014, 01:38 PM
Yes. Cups of coffee and all that.
22-07-2014, 02:06 PM
I thought that shit was already dead.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
22-07-2014, 02:54 PM
Atheism+, in my point of view, is the natural progression of a minority movement that gains popularity quickly. After the great, prolific writers such as Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins spread atheistic ideas during the 2000s, a new atheism movement started to form. Naturally, people have tried to be so called "social justice warriors," and broaden the idea of atheism to the scope of an entire belief structure. That is what Atheism+ tries to be. Radical, outspoken people have jumped upon their soap boxes and set out to fix the world.

For instance, on their website this is the first sentence you read. "Atheism+ is a safe space for people to discuss how religion affects everyone and to apply skepticism and critical thinking to everything, including social issues like sexism, racism, GLBT issues, politics, poverty, and crime."

I don't know about you all, but I think the atheism "movement" should stick to just that, atheism.

[Image: g-HitchensThinkSelf.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes elegant_atheist's post
22-07-2014, 03:13 PM
(22-07-2014 02:54 PM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  I don't know about you all, but I think the atheism "movement" should stick to just that, atheism.

I think the atheism movement should climb a telephone pole. Or get involved in robotics.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
22-07-2014, 03:16 PM
Honestly, I would join an atheism+robotics club.

[+] 2 users Like elegant_atheist's post
22-07-2014, 03:17 PM
Atheism + has their moral crusade. My group is having a game night tonight. lol
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
22-07-2014, 03:18 PM
(22-07-2014 03:16 PM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  Honestly, I would join an atheism+robotics club.

We could make robots that don't believe in God. Zen ve take over zee vorld.

[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
22-07-2014, 03:26 PM
(22-07-2014 03:18 PM)morondog Wrote:  We could make robots that don't believe in God. Zen ve take over zee vorld.

Almost like the church does....except they use humans. BowingOhmy

[+] 1 user Likes elegant_atheist's post