Atheism +

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2012, 10:04 AM
Atheism +
Some of my recent Friends on Facebook are atheist bloggers. Recent topics I've been reading about include topics of atheist activism and more specifically, this A+ movement.

The "movement" has been written on fairly extensively at freethoughtblogs.com/ but I haven't seen much discussion here on the forum.

To be honest, while I've read a little about it, much of what I've read has been criticisms of the concept - sounds like it's a club within a club (if atheism is a club)...just curious if anyone here has thoughts on the issue and can enlighten me - is this a positive development? Pie in the sky? Worth looking at/pursuing?

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-08-2012, 10:09 AM
RE: Atheism +
(29-08-2012 10:04 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  Some of my recent Friends on Facebook are atheist bloggers. Recent topics I've been reading about include topics of atheist activism and more specifically, this A+ movement.

The "movement" has been written on fairly extensively at freethoughtblogs.com/ but I haven't seen much discussion here on the forum.

To be honest, while I've read a little about it, much of what I've read has been criticisms of the concept - sounds like it's a club within a club (if atheism is a club)...just curious if anyone here has thoughts on the issue and can enlighten me - is this a positive development? Pie in the sky? Worth looking at/pursuing?

It looks like antitheism to me. Hard to disagree.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
29-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Every notice that atheism forums seek out the religious to join the debate (and yes to be destroyed), where the theist forums ban even the faithful from discussing evolution or atheism.

Are they afraid? Shocking

They should be. Sadcryface

We're coming for their childern's souls.....

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post
29-08-2012, 11:47 AM
I think A+ is simply a group of atheists who want to be more politically active and push for real change.
They don't want to mildly sit on the side lines and let political figures, laws, etc continue pushing their own religious agendas.
They want to push back, have their voices heard and gain some rational thought allies in politics.

I could be wrong on all of that, but I think that's where they are coming from.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
29-08-2012, 11:54 AM
(29-08-2012 11:47 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I think A+ is simply a group of atheists who want to be more politically active and push for real change.
They don't want to mildly sit on the side lines and let political figures, laws, etc continue pushing their own religious agendas.
They want to push back, have their voices heard and gain some rational thought allies in politics.

I could be wrong on all of that, but I think that's where they are coming from.

I think that's a great agenda! Smile I've heard some negative things about it as well, so I'm trying to do due diligence...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
29-08-2012, 12:02 PM
The negative things have been focused around their membership policies.
If you're not on board with everything they think in the "hive mind", they don't want you in the group.
Dissenting opinions are not welcome and detract from their goals, derailing their progress.

It's a tricky wicket

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
29-08-2012, 12:12 PM
(29-08-2012 12:02 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  The negative things have been focused around their membership policies.
If you're not on board with everything they think in the "hive mind", they don't want you in the group.
Dissenting opinions are not welcome and detract from their goals, derailing their progress.

It's a tricky wicket

Ah, that's exactly what I've been hearing (or reading about)...Dissenting opinion is neither encouraged or tolerated...

So I'm looking for what is verboten...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
29-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Seems like a lovely idea, if not just humanism with a different name.

I'd read more about it but it's from FTB and noooooooo wayyyyyyy I'm killing my brain cells by trotting on over there.

It also was birthed in all that weird elevatorgate-atheism-conference-sexism-drama-dealy so it kind of taints it a bit.

And this blog post just made me not like it all the more.

In science, "fact" can only mean "confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional assent." I suppose that apples might start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal time in physics classrooms.

--Stephen Jay Gould
29-08-2012, 02:16 PM
(29-08-2012 02:08 PM)scientician Wrote:  Seems like a lovely idea, if not just humanism with a different name.

I'd read more about it but it's from FTB and noooooooo wayyyyyyy I'm killing my brain cells by trotting on over there.

It also was birthed in all that weird elevatorgate-atheism-conference-sexism-drama-dealy so it kind of taints it a bit.

And this blog post just made me not like it all the more.

Hmmm, I've never been to a conference, but I've heard quite a few rumblings about the sexism drama associated with them.

I went to the Reason Rally in DC back in March - not the same dynamic as a conference, and even then, a couple hours of atheism, even for a "hard core" atheist is a lot to take - I really don't know if I could "stomach" attending a conference on the topic...

Listening to Seth speak on YouTube in Oklahoma is one thing, but 2 or 3 straight days...yeesh Smile

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
29-08-2012, 02:41 PM
I personally already believe this way. So giving it a name is fine with me.

The drama from which it came is annoying, and I try to let those involved fight it out.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp