Atheism +

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2012, 03:51 PM
RE: Atheism +
Another issue I have with it is actually that idea that if you're not with us then we don't want you. On humanism if someone in the movement is being sexist then it's your job to show them why you think theyre being sexist and try to advance better values. What you don't want to do is shun them or deny them representation in your movement.

In science, "fact" can only mean "confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional assent." I suppose that apples might start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal time in physics classrooms.

--Stephen Jay Gould
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-08-2012, 04:12 PM (This post was last modified: 29-08-2012 04:33 PM by Rahn127.)
I've written a few rants / articles about elevatorgate
Rebecca "I'm a dick for over reacting to an invitation to coffee" Watson and Amy "believe what I say without evidence" Miller.
These two helped torpedo female attendance at the conferences from 50% to 17%.
They took minor miniscule iss

Can a mod delete this post. Not sure how it posted while I was still editing it.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
29-08-2012, 04:29 PM
I've heard a lot of negative things about Atheist + so I've just been avoiding that.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
29-08-2012, 04:31 PM
I've written a few rants / articles about elevatorgate
Rebecca "I'm a dick for over reacting to an invitation to coffee" Watson and Amy "believe what I say without evidence" Miller.
These two helped torpedo female attendance at the conferences from 50% to 17%.
They took minor miniscule issues and blew them up like they were the fucking mountain top of things guys shouldn't do.
I have nothing against harassment policies.
I have nothing against speaking out when something happens that crosses a legal line or even a social line that is highly inappropriate and wouldn't be tolerated in a police station,
but when someone who you have spent 6 hours with bar hoping, having drinks, great conversation and at 4:00 am in an elevator together, he politely asks you if you would like to come to his room for some coffee and you politely say no thank you, then the next day you spew out how you felt so sexually objectified and that guys shouldn't do that......well fuck !!!! That's ridiculous !!!!

My only thought was. "Wow, she really is a dick, just like she said she was in that video she made"

I won't even go into Amy Miller. Just hit me with a baseball bat right across the head and it will be about the same level of headache.

In our lives we gauge when it's appropriate to call 911.
My life is in danger. I'm having chest pains. Someone just broke into my house, etc
We don't usually call them when you stub your toe in the middle of the night.
We don't call them when food at a restaurant isn't quite cooked right.
We take care of these things ourselves because we are fucking ADULTS.
These are things we can handle. I can handle a drunk who asks if I have some change. If there is security at an event. I can handle motioning them over to handle something that deserves their attention.
These are things we can deal with.

If there are so many drunks that security can't handle them then yes, we have a problem there. If women are constantly being hit upon left and right, night and day by tall lanky men in bow ties, then yes, I think it needs to be addressed.

Something should be addressed when there is a clear need for it, not when someone gets a fricken paper cut.

/rant

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
29-08-2012, 05:53 PM
I have no problem with Atheism+, although I don't think that it will be successful in its goal. But it's harmless.

However, so so many of the YouTube people I subscribe to are apparently against it... and their opposition rings of the opposition to gay marriage -- they have nothing against it except for the name. It's like those people who say they have nothing against gays marrying, but they don't want it called marriage. It's so bizarre, and an incredibly weak position. Why are so many people that I otherwise respect so opposed to this?

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-08-2012, 05:55 PM
(29-08-2012 02:08 PM)scientician Wrote:  Seems like a lovely idea, if not just humanism with a different name.

I'd read more about it but it's from FTB and noooooooo wayyyyyyy I'm killing my brain cells by trotting on over there.

It also was birthed in all that weird elevatorgate-atheism-conference-sexism-drama-dealy so it kind of taints it a bit.

And this blog post just made me not like it all the more.

Man, I just spent hours reading that post and alla comments...

Nope. It's like a further spin-off of FreeThoughtBlogs New World Order... keeps reminding me of Ricky Rahl's nemesis, that Dreamwalker cat, and his entitlement empire...

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
29-08-2012, 06:32 PM
They're secular humanists.. it's the same thing with a new label to have the term atheism up front.

It's not going to be much different at all unless they do more outward gatherings. As soon as I see the description of terms in that blog-post, they seem all like the same secular humanism stances.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
29-08-2012, 07:21 PM
I have read some of the FTB posts and watched a few response videos on YT. I totally DISAGREE with this movement. I think it's expanding on the meaning of "Atheism" and feel this will cause some confusing in future debates like the "New" Atheism movement. I feel no one should use the name "Atheism" as part of a political movement with certain skeptical view points on racism, feminism, sexism and so on. They tried "Brights" for a awhile, but never took off. The Atheism+ movement is completely subjective in certain ideologies that people will tend to disagree about, even if you're an Atheist. Most of this falls under Secular Humanism anyway, in my opinion.

Live life, cause you only have one!Youtuber:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Livelife8072
[+] 3 users Like Livelife8072's post
29-08-2012, 08:07 PM
(29-08-2012 07:21 PM)Livelife8072 Wrote:  I have read some of the FTB posts and watched a few response videos on YT. I totally DISAGREE with this movement. I think it's expanding on the meaning of "Atheism" and feel this will cause some confusing in future debates like the "New" Atheism movement. I feel no one should use the name "Atheism" as part of a political movement with certain skeptical view points on racism, feminism, sexism and so on. They tried "Brights" for a awhile, but never took off. The Atheism+ movement is completely subjective in certain ideologies that people will tend to disagree about, even if you're an Atheist. Most of this falls under Secular Humanism anyway, in my opinion.

I seem to agree with you.

Nice to see you post, you articulated this very well.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 2 users Like Atothetheist's post
29-08-2012, 08:21 PM
(29-08-2012 07:21 PM)Livelife8072 Wrote:  I have read some of the FTB posts and watched a few response videos on YT. I totally DISAGREE with this movement. I think it's expanding on the meaning of "Atheism" and feel this will cause some confusing in future debates like the "New" Atheism movement. I feel no one should use the name "Atheism" as part of a political movement with certain skeptical view points on racism, feminism, sexism and so on. They tried "Brights" for a awhile, but never took off. The Atheism+ movement is completely subjective in certain ideologies that people will tend to disagree about, even if you're an Atheist. Most of this falls under Secular Humanism anyway, in my opinion.

I agree to that. It's pretty much on point with why I don't follow the national atheist party.. I have a lot more gripes about it that really keep me away from it such as their claim that atheists are mostly left-leaning progressive's because the people who were around their group voted mostly that way. Along with admitting they stick to the word atheism and not humanism or secularism purely for shock-impact value over the actual desire to change things apart from spreading what the term atheism means.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson