Atheism +

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2012, 08:38 PM (This post was last modified: 30-08-2012 04:16 AM by Seasbury.)
RE: Atheism +
(29-08-2012 08:21 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I agree to that. It's pretty much on point with why I don't follow the national atheist party.. I have a lot more gripes about it that really keep me away from it such as their claim that atheists are mostly left-leaning progressive's because the people who were around their group voted mostly that way. Along with admitting they stick to the word atheism and not humanism or secularism purely for shock-impact value over the actual desire to change things apart from spreading what the term atheism means.

So I updated my profile yesterday - still learning much of the functionality of this site even though I've been here for almost 2 years now...

I put up a description: "46 yo white male - which should make me a Republican...Except: I don't believe in god; I support marriage equality; I trust science and not a voice in my head; I favor a woman's right to choose; would prefer universal health care to what we have now; I think the government has a responsibility to ensure citizens do not go hungry, especially in hard economic times. By today's standards, that makes me a RINO - a Republican in name only..."

So I took the Pew Forum quiz Bucky Ball put up in the political forum and came out "liberal." I went back and changed two responses - said I believed in god and that I oppose marriage equality and came out a centrist...

I consider myself pretty progressive on social issues, but still believe in fiscal responsibility...not sure how that fits in the A+ model. Not to mention, I have more success herding my cats than finding universal traction among atheists Wink ha!

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-08-2012, 08:41 PM
(29-08-2012 08:38 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  
(29-08-2012 08:21 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I agree to that. It's pretty much on point with why I don't follow the national atheist party.. I have a lot more gripes about it that really keep me away from it such as their claim that atheists are mostly left-leaning progressive's because the people who were around their group voted mostly that way. Along with admitting they stick to the word atheism and not humanism or secularism purely for shock-impact value over the actual desire to change things apart from spreading what the term atheism means.

So I updated my profile yesterday - still learning much of the functionality of this site even though I've been here for almost 2 years news...

I put up a description: "46 yo white male - which should make me a Republican...Except: I don't believe in god; I support marriage equality; I trust science and not a voice in my head; I favor a woman's right to choose; would prefer universal health care to what we have now; I think the government has a responsibility to ensure citizens do not go hungry, especially in hard economic times. By today's standards, that makes me a RINO - a Republican in name only..."

So I took the Pew Forum quiz Bucky Ball put up in the political forum and came out "liberal." I went back and changed two responses - said I believed in god and that I oppose marriage equality and came out a centrist...

I consider myself pretty progressive on social issues, but still believe in fiscal responsibility...not sure how that fits in the A+ model. Not to mention, I have more success herding my cats than finding universal traction among atheists Wink ha!

Btw, Sean, here is your Badge again.
[Image: 6f615656.jpg]

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
29-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Awesome Ato! Smile. I'll update this weekend - cant do it on my iPad and work blocks image files - could be boobies or something heinous...lol. Thanks for setting that one up Smile

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
29-08-2012, 10:00 PM
Seasbury - I don't think you can become a republican until you value your own greed above someone else's basic health, well-being and happiness to simply survive.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
29-08-2012, 10:03 PM
(29-08-2012 07:21 PM)Livelife8072 Wrote:  I have read some of the FTB posts and watched a few response videos on YT. I totally DISAGREE with this movement. I think it's expanding on the meaning of "Atheism" and feel this will cause some confusing in future debates like the "New" Atheism movement. I feel no one should use the name "Atheism" as part of a political movement with certain skeptical view points on racism, feminism, sexism and so on. They tried "Brights" for a awhile, but never took off. The Atheism+ movement is completely subjective in certain ideologies that people will tend to disagree about, even if you're an Atheist. Most of this falls under Secular Humanism anyway, in my opinion.

"Atheism" is already a loaded term that groups strong and weak atheists, so there's confusion about whether an atheist is skeptical or certain of a god's existence. However, we'd deal with Atheism+ the same way that we deal with this (and with the example you present of "new" atheists vs. old-school atheists) -- we dismiss the critics as stereotypers who put all of us in a box that contains the traits that they think it does. So why is this minor irritation enough to fight a movement over?

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
30-08-2012, 04:21 AM
(29-08-2012 10:00 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Seasbury - I don't think you can become a republican until you value your own greed above someone else's basic health, well-being and happiness to simply survive.

Rahn, you're describing a modern Republican Wink

The only reason I continue a party affiliation is so I can vote in primaries. Maryland runs closed primaries, so it doesn't pay to be an independent...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
30-08-2012, 02:36 PM
(29-08-2012 07:21 PM)Livelife8072 Wrote:  I have read some of the FTB posts and watched a few response videos on YT. I totally DISAGREE with this movement. I think it's expanding on the meaning of "Atheism" and feel this will cause some confusing in future debates like the "New" Atheism movement. I feel no one should use the name "Atheism" as part of a political movement with certain skeptical view points on racism, feminism, sexism and so on. They tried "Brights" for a awhile, but never took off. The Atheism+ movement is completely subjective in certain ideologies that people will tend to disagree about, even if you're an Atheist. Most of this falls under Secular Humanism anyway, in my opinion.
(29-08-2012 10:03 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  "Atheism" is already a loaded term that groups strong and weak atheists, so there's confusion about whether an atheist is skeptical or certain of a god's existence. However, we'd deal with Atheism+ the same way that we deal with this (and with the example you present of "new" atheists vs. old-school atheists) -- we dismiss the critics as stereotypers who put all of us in a box that contains the traits that they think it does. So why is this minor irritation enough to fight a movement over?

Strong and weak yes, but in actions and words to fight religious dogma. Anyone can be skeptical and shouldn't be used pertaining just to atheist. (not saying you're stating this). Also, if you're an atheist you denounce the existence of a god or gods, based mainly on lack of evidence . I don't see the confusion. This Atheism+ is a political movement on subjective ideologies (not just to combat religion). I could care less if they would just change the name without using the word Atheism. This will only split the Atheist community if this does take off into societies.

Live life, cause you only have one!Youtuber:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Livelife8072
30-08-2012, 03:23 PM
I agree with their goals as written in their description.
But the reason for this movement - someone already explained elevatorgate etc... - , their attitude ("so we could start marginalizing the evil in our midst") their "memberpolicies" and their members are clearly nothing I could agree with.

Supporting them in my eyes would mean stepping away from humanism towards a worldview I don't feel like supporting: women > men instead of women = men (e.g. value and rights)
30-09-2012, 03:15 AM
Yeah, yeah, I know, resurrection blah blah...

Good vid though.
(I looked but couldn't see it posted already)

30-09-2012, 03:56 AM

Well, all religions are becoming more fundamentalist and activist as they lose relevancy. It's like a sun that gets bigger before it burns out--same, same.

Atheism is a religion that is fighting for relevance in the world. Eventually, everyone will go their own way and religion won't matter at all.

Just as being a Christian doesn't prove God exists, being an atheist doesn't prove He doesn't. God is what God is, and that's all anyone can really say.
Quote this message in a reply