Alain de Botton: Atheism 2.0.

What are people's thoughts?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2012, 04:51 AM
RE: Atheism 2.0
Honestly this sounds to me like a total misplacing of intent.

I appreciate that he's trying to draw out the good in religion but all of these things he is pointing out already have secular alternatives many of which IMO we already use on a daily basis faith or no and most of which have proven over the years to be vastly more effective and respectful of people.
23-01-2012, 05:38 AM (This post was last modified: 23-01-2012 05:41 AM by Jeff.)
I agree with Godless. He starts with a simplistic strawman version of atheism that isn't accurate (for example, not being able to enjoy Christmas and Christmas music) and then tells us that we can do things we're already doing. Then at the end he claims his position is brave because he's saying things that hardcore atheists would metaphorically shoot him for. That's the clue that he's not tuned in to the atheist community. There's nothing he suggests that you won't find numerous people here in agreement with.
[+] 1 user Likes Jeff's post
23-01-2012, 10:25 AM
(23-01-2012 01:57 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, erbody.

Alain de Botton: Atheism 2.0.

What are people's thoughts?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

I watched this video about a week ago - and I still feel conflicted about what de Botton is proposing.

One one hand, I agree wholeheartedly that atheists could use a congregational type setting - note, not all atheists, but those that desire interactions and discourse with others -- which is what this forum currently provides but anonymously, behind our computers.

Those of us that were once religious may miss the community and relationships attending church once provided. I know that I do, on rare occasions...

But, having said that, I cannot for the life of me see how or why atheists would wish to gather in a tradition/ritual-based lecture that serves to reinforce non-belief.

As we see here, there are wide varieties in opinions and outlooks among members, with the primary denomination being non-belief. That, in and of itself, is not enough to serve as a foundation for a congregational-type setting.

The idea behind Atheism 2.0 is noble, but the execution, or nuts and bolts behind the idea are not sound - even if they may be thought out...Maybe when it gets to 4S...?

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Seasbury's post
23-01-2012, 11:05 AM (This post was last modified: 23-01-2012 12:25 PM by kim.)
Hmm...so, he wants to make a non-thing, a thing. I don't need to buy this thing; I came by my non-thing naturally and it hasn't worn out. Maybe he's just wanting to sell his thing to ... people who don't want the non-thing? He comes off quite the busker, I'll give him that.... (groan, grumble, digs in pocket for loose bills -$2) Dodgy

Years ago, I felt humanity would enthuse itself to pay less attention to it's current, outmoded iconography and begin creating it's own. In other words; humanity on the whole, could re-describe and redraw itself. I'm an artist and that is from where that notion within me originates -not exclusively from my secular background.

I am, and that's enough. I'm not camera shy, but I really don't need my picture taken, either. I'm a member of this planet and if we all head for another, my passport photo will do nicely.
The thing is; humanity already does re-describe and redraw itself, we just have to wait to see what we look like. Then some wacky artist in the future can paint our collective portrait.

It's a bit early in the evolutionary day to sell rearview mirrors to people who've already driven off into the wild. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
23-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Already being discussed on this forum Wink

Here

I think innovative, creative, thought-provoking, naive and currently impoosible are all words I'd use to sum up De Botton's work.

"Christianity is like a diet where you eat lots of chocolate cake all week, and then on Sunday you mentally scold yourself and "try again" only to repeat the cycle." - Buddy Christ
[+] 1 user Likes Shannow's post