Atheism - A clearer understanding

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2012, 03:15 PM
RE: Atheism - A clearer understanding
(04-11-2012 03:06 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 03:02 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  Sometimes I wonder if meeting some of you in person would make me feel like a more normal individual..
I have met you in a sense.
Ever since I saw you asking that question of Habermas, and being shocked in getting his bullshit answer, I feel I know you better.
I see you as honestly on a journey. I think you're cool.
I try to be as honest with myself and others as I possibly can. I believe that kind of attitude is so critically important to getting closer to the answers about life that have the most importance or relevance.
So still being honest, I haven't really read a post of yours that would have me believe that you're still on a journey yourself. Being that you have over three thousand posts, it would be difficult for me to do this.. lol

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2012, 03:25 PM
(04-11-2012 03:02 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 03:00 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Interesting behavior that. Consider
Is that Boxism ?
I'm an a-boxist myself.
Unless It's a box with a red bow. I do believe strongly in silver boxes with red bows that say "Tiffany's" on the top.
I'm a VERY devout boxist, in that case.
Sometimes I wonder if meeting some of you in person would make me feel like a more normal individual..

Depends.
What's your definition of the "normal" "category".

Just kidding.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
04-11-2012, 03:26 PM
(04-11-2012 03:00 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I'm a VERY devout boxist, in that case.

Make your mind up! Box or case?

04-11-2012, 03:34 PM
(04-11-2012 03:26 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 03:00 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I'm a VERY devout boxist, in that case.

Make your mind up! Box or case?

I prefer bottles for my wine, personally. Get some class, dude. Drinking Beverage

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
04-11-2012, 04:02 PM
(04-11-2012 03:34 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 03:26 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Make your mind up! Box or case?

I prefer bottles for my wine, personally. Get some class, dude. Drinking Beverage
Shocking
TTA is equal opportunities non-boxist organisation!

I'm gonna report your hate-speech to the authorities!

See if I don't.

04-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Atheist- One who LACKS a belief in a diety.

Anti-theist- one who actively believes AGAINST the God/god/gods proposition.

All atheism is is the lack of belief in a deity. Atheism is not "I believe a God Doesn't exist." Because that is making a statement that some atheists might disagree with and find as equally an illogical proposition as the endorsement of the existence of the Deity in question.

And anti-theist is the atheist subcategory that proposes an active belief stance on the issue of God, such as "I belive there is no Deity."

Hopefully that clears the issue up.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
04-11-2012, 06:32 PM
(04-11-2012 03:25 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 03:02 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  Sometimes I wonder if meeting some of you in person would make me feel like a more normal individual..
Normal is something I've never been accused of. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
04-11-2012, 07:51 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2012 07:54 PM by DLJ.)
(04-11-2012 06:25 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Atheist- One who LACKS a belief in a diety.

All atheism is is the lack of belief in a deity. Atheism is not "I believe a God Doesn't exist." Because that is making a statement that some atheists might disagree with and find as equally an illogical proposition as the endorsement of the existence of the Deity in question.

And anti-theist is the atheist subcategory that proposes an active belief stance on the issue of God, such as "I believe there is no Deity."

A bit late to the table there A-squared but a valid contribution nonetheless.

Ideas (if I may address you as such), the moral of the story is...

It's perfectly fine to have labels, definitions and categories, in fact we would be lost without them... the danger lies when applying them to individuals.

If I may use a "Management" analogy (I gonna, cos that's my pattern-recognition thing):

A "role" can be defined as part of a process (e.g. Finance Manager or Change Initiator or IRL: Father, Mother, Brother, Lover) but this does not define the person who performs that role.

A person is given a Job Description (a combination of roles) but this does not define the person either. It's closer because it also includes requirements regarding attitude and aptitude (and altitude sometimes).

Each of us play a number of roles.
Some we choose and many are chosen for us.

I am tempted to venture that the essence of being a Free Thinker is the heightened awareness gained through casting off the "mind-forged manacle" and the taking of responsibility for our own actions... the writing of our own job description.

We may define a label but the label does not define us.

As part of a flock we are more likely to accept the definition of roles allocated to us... it's a lot easier, after all.

Critical thinking is the tool we use, data is gathered, information is gleaned, knowledge is sought and wisdom is found along this journey to freedom.

Welcome, fellow traveler.

"I hold the world but as the world, Gratiano,
A stage, where every man must play a part;
And mine a sad one."

- Merchant of Venice.

Here endeth the lesson.

Smartass

05-11-2012, 10:30 AM
(04-11-2012 06:25 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Atheist- One who LACKS a belief in a diety.

And anti-theist is the atheist subcategory that proposes an active belief stance on the issue of God, such as "I belive there is no Deity."

Ok, since I've recently established a more firm understanding of new terms regarding this, I'm going to try and put them together here to respond.

The first statement: "Atheist - One who LACKs a belief in a deity."

I think that's only partially correct. Say I go up to someone and ask "Do you believe a deity exists?" and their response is "No", they would rightly be identified as Atheist.
Now, to this new term that I've learned about 'Apatheist" - This would be a more accurate understanding of the persons response if his/her response was "I don't really have a view either way."

I do believe that the term Atheism is referring to particularly the individual that actually would respond in the negative with the question of Gods existence - regardless of his/her understanding of why they believe that way.
If one refers to the individual that does not have a view, then it would be more accurate to move on to a different category such as Apatheist that would more accurately portray the individuals current views. I think it would inaccurate to place the 'Atheist' (No God) title on someone who hasn't even made that view understood.

Someone who is Apatheist is about as close to Atheism as they are to Theism.

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde
05-11-2012, 09:05 PM
(05-11-2012 10:30 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  

Ok, since I've recently established a more firm understanding of new terms regarding this, I'm going to try and put them together here to respond.

The first statement: "Atheist - One who LACKs a belief in a deity."

I think that's only partially correct. Say I go up to someone and ask "Do you believe a deity exists?" and their response is "No", they would rightly be identified as Atheist.
Now, to this new term that I've learned about 'Apatheist" - This would be a more accurate understanding of the persons response if his/her response was "I don't really have a view either way."

I do believe that the term Atheism is referring to particularly the individual that actually would respond in the negative with the question of Gods existence - regardless of his/her understanding of why they believe that way.
If one refers to the individual that does not have a view, then it would be more accurate to move on to a different category such as Apatheist that would more accurately portray the individuals current views. I think it would inaccurate to place the 'Atheist' (No God) title on someone who hasn't even made that view understood.

Someone who is Apatheist is about as close to Atheism as they are to Theism.
Ideas:

An apatheist is one who doesn't give a shit either way.

That's way different from "I don't believe in a God." All apatheists are is they don't care. An atheist can be apatheistic and so can theists.

My definitions are valid.

Atheist: one who lacks a belief in a deity.

Apatheist: one who couldn't give a fuck either way.

Anti-theist: one who actively believes in the no existence in ANY Deity.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post