Atheism : A feeling of the Mind

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2015, 09:35 AM
Hello, I've been an Atheist most of my life. I've tried to explain to many people why I don't believe in any god, or religious cult. The only explanation I can give is that "My mind doesn't allow me , doesn't logically accept that there is a god. The same faith or belief you have that allows you to say that god exists, is the same belief that allows me to say he doesn't" Meaning, that the feeling religious people have when they say God exists, is the same feeling I have when i say he doesn't. I tried to understand why I felt that way. I discovered that is due to my brain. Some people, i encountered that are smarter than the average person or with higher IQ's are atheist and they give you the same logic answer I gave you earlier. I believe that as the brain evolves, so will the belief of god subside. People that are more intelligent see a bigger picture that religious people, but... I've seen atheist that are atheist because they hate God or Religion.
I just want to say, that those people are not atheist. To be atheist you have to FEEL that God doesn't exist, you have to know it in your head. You don't need proof, nor evidence you just know it. Can you understand this?

I would like to have your opinions on this subject because I'm still researching on this. If this is true, then if GOD exists why would he ever give as a brain to think that he doesn't exist?Are people with higher IQ more likely to be Atheist? Do you FEEL and KNOW that there is no god as I do?

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2015, 09:42 AM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2015 09:58 AM by goodwithoutgod.)
RE: Atheism : A feeling of the Mind
(26-02-2015 09:35 AM)BlackLady Wrote:  Hello, I've been an Atheist most of my life. I've tried to explain to many people why I don't believe in any god, or religious cult. The only explanation I can give is that "My mind doesn't allow me , doesn't logically accept that there is a god. The same faith or belief you have that allows you to say that god exists, is the same belief that allows me to say he doesn't" Meaning, that the feeling religious people have when they say God exists, is the same feeling I have when i say he doesn't. I tried to understand why I felt that way. I discovered that is due to my brain. Some people, i encountered that are smarter than the average person or with higher IQ's are atheist and they give you the same logic answer I gave you earlier. I believe that as the brain evolves, so will the belief of god subside. People that are more intelligent see a bigger picture that religious people, but... I've seen atheist that are atheist because they hate God or Religion.
I just want to say, that those people are not atheist. To be atheist you have to FEEL that God doesn't exist, you have to know it in your head. You don't need proof, nor evidence you just know it. Can you understand this?

I would like to have your opinions on this subject because I'm still researching on this. If this is true, then if GOD exists why would he ever give as a brain to think that he doesn't exist?Are people with higher IQ more likely to be Atheist? Do you FEEL and KNOW that there is no god as I do?

Thanks!

Welcome. While it is disingenuous to assert that all atheists are intelligent (they aren't) or that all religious people are ignorant (they aren't) on average, this is actually true.

According to the leading science journal Nature a recent survey of members of the National Academy of Sciences showed that 72% are outright atheists, 21% are agnostic and only 7% admit to belief in a personal god. Atheists know all about science.

Also. atheists know more about religion than most theists.

U.S. Religious Knowledge Survey

“Atheists and agnostics, Jews and Mormons are among the highest-scoring groups on a new survey of religious knowledge, outperforming evangelical Protestants, mainline Protestants and Catholics on questions about the core teachings, history and leading figures of major world religions by the Pew Research Center’s Forum on Religion & Public Life. Atheists and agnostics, Jews and Mormons perform better than other groups on the survey even after controlling for differing levels of education. Jews and atheists/agnostics stand out for their knowledge of other world religions, including Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism and Judaism. Atheists/agnostics and Jews also do particularly well on questions about the role of religion in public life, including a question about what the U.S. Constitution says about religion.”

Intelligence and Religion

#1 - National Longitudinal Study of Youth, which includes intelligence tests on a representative selection of white American youth, where they have also replied to questions about religious beliefs. The results were published in the scientific journal Intelligence, demonstrated that Atheists scored an average of 1.95 IQ points higher than Agnostics, 3.82 points higher than Liberal persuasions, and 5.89 IQ points higher than Dogmatic persuasions.

#2 - Richard Lynn, emeritus professor of psychology at the University of Ulster, compared religious belief and average national IQs in 137 countries. Using data from a U.S. study of 6,825 adolescents, the authors found that atheists scored 6 IQ points higher than non atheists. Lynn said, "Why should fewer academics believe in God than the general population? I believe it is simply a matter of the IQ. Academics have higher IQs than the general population.

#3- Several Gallup poll studies of the general population have shown that those with higher IQs tend not to believe in God."

#4 - A study published in Social Psychology Quarterly in March 2010 also stated that "atheism correlates with higher intelligence".

#5 - The more religious you are, the less likely you are to be intelligent, a new scientific study has found. According to researchers, Christians - particularly fundamentalists who believe the Bible is God's word - have a lower IQ than those who are less religious. A possible reason behind the finding was a tendency for more intelligent people to challenge religious claims, said one of the researchers, New Zealand psychologist Professor Tim Bates. "If you believe in religion, you haven't really questioned things," he said. "Brighter people were less likely to feel that religion plays a dominant role in their life."

Just a few thoughts.... Smile

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 9 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
26-02-2015, 09:45 AM
There are plenty of intelligent people who believe in or believed in a god, for whatever reason.

Intelligence can be a double-edged sword, where it can help free you from bad ideologies through reason and logic, or it can cause you to spiral into it ever deeper through your own internal reasoning. For instance, many conspiracy theories are clever and sound plausible, and many an intelligent person believes them despite any actual evidence for any of them.

Indoctrination has more to do with it probably. Those not raised religiously, don't have the same fears or anxieties surrounding popular religious topics (like death).

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
26-02-2015, 09:53 AM
(26-02-2015 09:35 AM)BlackLady Wrote:  Hello, I've been an Atheist most of my life. I've tried to explain to many people why I don't believe in any god, or religious cult. The only explanation I can give is that "My mind doesn't allow me , doesn't logically accept that there is a god. The same faith or belief you have that allows you to say that god exists, is the same belief that allows me to say he doesn't" Meaning, that the feeling religious people have when they say God exists, is the same feeling I have when i say he doesn't. I tried to understand why I felt that way. I discovered that is due to my brain. Some people, i encountered that are smarter than the average person or with higher IQ's are atheist and they give you the same logic answer I gave you earlier. I believe that as the brain evolves, so will the belief of god subside. People that are more intelligent see a bigger picture that religious people, but... I've seen atheist that are atheist because they hate God or Religion.

Thanks!

I know exactly where you are coming from, although I do not see my lack of belief as a "feeling" or a "belief", but rather a sense of being uncomfortable with accepting anything as true which defies logic, science, or plain old rational thought. I never saw religion, or god, as an option to put any stake into for my life to make sense. I saw religion as nothing more than en emotional crutch, and yes it has always appeared to me that knowledge and critical thinking directly oppose strong religious tendencies.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
26-02-2015, 09:56 AM
Yes , exactly. I know people who say there atheist just because ...or because the hate god, or they just want to bee cool (I know the last sounds dumb, but its true!!!). I just know it. I cant explain how, but I know it.
26-02-2015, 09:58 AM
(26-02-2015 09:56 AM)BlackLady Wrote:  Yes , exactly. I know people who say there atheist just because ...or because the hate god, or they just want to bee cool (I know the last sounds dumb, but its true!!!). I just know it. I cant explain how, but I know it.

You could explain the "how" as a lack of the fulfillment of the burden of proof on the part of religion.

Atheism is a lack of a position. It's kind of weird that way. No one asks anyone to defend their disbelief in fairies.

-Rick
26-02-2015, 10:05 AM
(26-02-2015 09:58 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I know. I have my mother in law who is a DEVOTE christian and she gets very very VERY scared when I pop my idea. Is like she looks at me with fear. Its difficult to explain, is not anger, but fear. Every time there is a topic on this on the discovery channel or they talk about evolution, o the bible, or dinosaurs or space she turns the TV off. Doesn't matter if I was watching or my BF is watching, she is scared of anything that can make her think. I never encountered such kind of fear. Fear of knowledge, fear of doubt. She also, doesn't allow any topic of evolution and atheism or agnostic ideas in any conversation. If I speak , she justs sits there with a look of fear. If my BF speaks she yells and tells him, I don't want you to think like that. And my BF is 26. Crazy! I have to hear her PRAY and Try to convince me to believe and I cant even talk of my Ideas! CRAZY! There in that moment, i know I'm Smarter.

(26-02-2015 09:56 AM)BlackLady Wrote:  Yes , exactly. I know people who say there atheist just because ...or because the hate god, or they just want to bee cool (I know the last sounds dumb, but its true!!!). I just know it. I cant explain how, but I know it.

You could explain the "how" as a lack of the fulfillment of the burden of proof on the part of religion.

Atheism is a lack of a position. It's kind of weird that way. No one asks anyone to defend their disbelief in fairies.
26-02-2015, 10:10 AM
(26-02-2015 10:05 AM)BlackLady Wrote:  
(26-02-2015 09:58 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I know. I have my mother in law who is a DEVOTE christian and she gets very very VERY scared when I pop my idea. Is like she looks at me with fear. Its difficult to explain, is not anger, but fear. Every time there is a topic on this on the discovery channel or they talk about evolution, o the bible, or dinosaurs or space she turns the TV off. Doesn't matter if I was watching or my BF is watching, she is scared of anything that can make her think. I never encountered such kind of fear. Fear of knowledge, fear of doubt. She also, doesn't allow any topic of evolution and atheism or agnostic ideas in any conversation. If I speak , she justs sits there with a look of fear. If my BF speaks she yells and tells him, I don't want you to think like that. And my BF is 26. Crazy! I have to hear her PRAY and Try to convince me to believe and I cant even talk of my Ideas! CRAZY! There in that moment, i know I'm Smarter.

Fear and ignorance-driven fear are impossible to combat. She sounds somewhat like my in-laws.

-Rick
26-02-2015, 10:25 AM
(26-02-2015 09:35 AM)BlackLady Wrote:  I've tried to explain to many people why I don't believe in any god, or religious cult. The only explanation I can give is that "My mind doesn't allow me , doesn't logically accept that there is a god.

I've never worded it this way, but when I stopped believing, I did realize that I was unable to make myself believe. It didn't matter that my desire to believe was genuine; I simply couldn't make myself do it, anymore.

Also, welcome!
26-02-2015, 10:33 AM
I've never worded it this way, but when I stopped believing, I did realize that I was unable to make myself believe. It didn't matter that my desire to believe was genuine; I simply couldn't make myself do it, anymore.

Also, welcome!
[/quote]

Well, that is because know one can force oneself to believe. The brain just turns into ninja mode and battles the idea. Its always better to be true to what you think that what other want you to believe. They may fear you. But, its better to be feared, that to live in fear.
[+] 1 user Likes BlackLady's post