Atheism : A feeling of the Mind

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2015, 11:37 AM
RE: Atheism : A feeling of the Mind
(26-02-2015 09:35 AM)BlackLady Wrote:  Hello, I've been an Atheist most of my life. I've tried to explain to many people why I don't believe in any god, or religious cult. The only explanation I can give is that "My mind doesn't allow me , doesn't logically accept that there is a god. The same faith or belief you have that allows you to say that god exists, is the same belief that allows me to say he doesn't" Meaning, that the feeling religious people have when they say God exists, is the same feeling I have when i say he doesn't. I tried to understand why I felt that way. I discovered that is due to my brain. Some people, i encountered that are smarter than the average person or with higher IQ's are atheist and they give you the same logic answer I gave you earlier. I believe that as the brain evolves, so will the belief of god subside. People that are more intelligent see a bigger picture that religious people, but... I've seen atheist that are atheist because they hate God or Religion.
I just want to say, that those people are not atheist. To be atheist you have to FEEL that God doesn't exist, you have to know it in your head. You don't need proof, nor evidence you just know it. Can you understand this?

I would like to have your opinions on this subject because I'm still researching on this. If this is true, then if GOD exists why would he ever give as a brain to think that he doesn't exist?Are people with higher IQ more likely to be Atheist? Do you FEEL and KNOW that there is no god as I do?

Thanks!

Being a bit pedantic. Your "mind" does not allow you, you are your brain. Your brain does not allow you. But yea, it is hard once you know the reality to put that genie back in the bottle anymore than one could believe in Santa once they discard it.

Now the only way I could see myself going back to a god belief in the future would be that I would not be in my current lucid state. That could be from severe emotional trauma, or brain injury or disease. Outside that as long as I am mentally healthy I cant see myself going back to believing in ancient comic books or invisible friends.

Reality as far as understanding science and the universe is awesome and even freaky without assigning it to old fairy tales.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2015, 12:14 PM
(26-02-2015 09:35 AM)BlackLady Wrote:  To be atheist you have to FEEL that God doesn't exist, you have to know it in your head. You don't need proof, nor evidence you just know it. Can you understand this?

I don't think I could disagree much more than I do with that. What I "feel" about the existence of a god is largely irrelevant. The only important thing is whether or not there is evidence to support the proposition. So far, every bit of evidence I have been presented is much better explained in other ways so I can't find any reason to accept the claims.

Evaluating the truth of a claim based on what you "feel" is how theists come to believe that god exists. I consider that to be invalid reasoning and I don't think it is a valid method even when it brings somebody to a conclusion I agree with.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
26-02-2015, 12:23 PM
(26-02-2015 12:14 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Well, feel may not be the correct word, I just wanted to express it right. The correct word would be Knowing. I know it. In the back of my mind, in the front and the sides. But is good that I can find a place where I can debate my ideas without being criticized or yelled at. Also, I read the comments with enthusiasm and feel very relieved that people can write with respect , good grammar and with depth.

(26-02-2015 09:35 AM)BlackLady Wrote:  ?

I don't think I could disagree much more than I do with that. What I "feel" about the existence of a god is largely irrelevant. The only important thing is whether or not there is evidence to support the proposition. So far, every bit of evidence I have been presented is much better explained in other ways so I can't find any reason to accept the claims.

Evaluating the truth of a claim based on what you "feel" is how theists come to believe that god exists. I consider that to be invalid reasoning and I don't think it is a valid method even when it brings somebody to a conclusion I agree with.
26-02-2015, 02:04 PM
(26-02-2015 09:35 AM)BlackLady Wrote:  Hello, I've been an Atheist most of my life. I've tried to explain to many people why I don't believe in any god, or religious cult. The only explanation I can give is that "My mind doesn't allow me , doesn't logically accept that there is a god. The same faith or belief you have that allows you to say that god exists, is the same belief that allows me to say he doesn't" Meaning, that the feeling religious people have when they say God exists, is the same feeling I have when i say he doesn't. I tried to understand why I felt that way. I discovered that is due to my brain. Some people, i encountered that are smarter than the average person or with higher IQ's are atheist and they give you the same logic answer I gave you earlier. I believe that as the brain evolves, so will the belief of god subside. People that are more intelligent see a bigger picture that religious people, but... I've seen atheist that are atheist because they hate God or Religion.
I just want to say, that those people are not atheist. To be atheist you have to FEEL that God doesn't exist, you have to know it in your head. You don't need proof, nor evidence you just know it. Can you understand this?

I would like to have your opinions on this subject because I'm still researching on this. If this is true, then if GOD exists why would he ever give as a brain to think that he doesn't exist?Are people with higher IQ more likely to be Atheist? Do you FEEL and KNOW that there is no god as I do?

Thanks!

I "feel" that there is no god -- at least, none as conventionally defined. (You can twist the meaning of the word far out of conventional understanding -- eg, say "God is love" -- to the point where you have the word mean something I believe to exist.) I wouldn't use the word "feel" to describe this sensation, normally. I'd describe it as belief or non-belief. I also wouldn't say that this feeling or belief is unrelated to evidence. If I saw good evidence for the existence of a god, it would likely adjust my feeling accordingly.

As a matter of semantics, there are multiple definitions of the word "atheist" floating around out there. Someone who believes -- feels, as you say -- that a god does not exist is a "strong" atheist. Someone who does not believe/feel that a god exists is a weak atheist. Weak atheism includes strong atheism as a subset, but also includes the undecided and those who approach such questions by reserving judgement until strong evidence can be provided for or against it.

goodwithoutgod addressed the IQ question very well, and I endorse everything he said. But I want to stress two things. First, correlation is not causation. The exact connection between IQ and belief is not established. For example, it might not be theism which most strongly correlates with diminished IQ, but social conservatism or hewing to traditional ways of thought, and theism simply gets dragged along by the true underlying factor. Second, this is just a general trend. Proportionally speaking, there are more smart atheists than smart theists, and more dumb theists than dumb atheists. But there are plenty of exceptions to this rule, and you'll find many cases of smart theists and dumb atheists. It would be best to establish your esteem or lack thereof for a person's intellect separately from whether they subscribe to a religious belief or not.
26-02-2015, 02:10 PM
Yes. You are true in your assessment.

I am border-lined retarded with a low IQ. I'm about as unintelligent as you can get... but thankfully, I have an excuse. I'm a Christian.

Atheists are smarter than Christians. They are also more attractive and have bigger dongs.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
26-02-2015, 02:28 PM
(26-02-2015 02:10 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yes. You are true in your assessment.

I am border-lined retarded with a low IQ. I'm about as unintelligent as you can get... but thankfully, I have an excuse. I'm a Christian.

Atheists are smarter than Christians. They are also more attractive and have bigger dongs.

I concur with KC's assertion, and I am evidence of this Big Grin

hehe

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
26-02-2015, 02:29 PM
(26-02-2015 12:23 PM)BlackLady Wrote:  Well, feel may not be the correct word, I just wanted to express it right. The correct word would be Knowing. I know it. In the back of my mind, in the front and the sides. But is good that I can find a place where I can debate my ideas without being criticized or yelled at. Also, I read the comments with enthusiasm and feel very relieved that people can write with respect , good grammar and with depth.

No worries, we'll probably need to agree to disagree on this, which is fine. In my experience it is usually pointless to try to prove that something doesn't exist unless it can be shown to be a logical contradiction. I prefer to focus on identifying what DOES exist and that requires evidence; anything that hasn't been demonstrated remains in the category of being speculation only.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
26-02-2015, 02:34 PM
(26-02-2015 02:10 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Atheists are smarter than Christians. They are also more attractive and have bigger dongs.

Oh, awesome! I'd wondered why it got bigger four years ago. Consider
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
26-02-2015, 03:13 PM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2015 03:17 PM by Reltzik.)
(26-02-2015 02:10 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  They are also more attractive and have bigger dongs.

Waaaaaiiit....

What you're REALLY saying is that atheism is comprised of pretty huge dicks, right?
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
26-02-2015, 05:04 PM
(26-02-2015 02:10 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I am border-lined retarded with a low IQ. I'm about as unintelligent as you can get... but thankfully, I have an excuse. I'm a Christian.

Probably has more to do with the fact that you were educated in Louisiana. ... Could be a combination of both I suppose.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post