Atheism : A feeling of the Mind

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2015, 05:29 PM
RE: Atheism : A feeling of the Mind
I have to say, I think emotion is a big part of this--being an atheist stuff. I think we ARE pretty much hard-wired to believe. If you were part of a group of believers, and you don't get that Holy Ghost syndrome, it is a powerful feeling--being left out, basically. Some of us strive to find beauty in reality, others are able to accept to ugliness therein, The feeling of...has anyone read the Hitchhiker's Guide, where Zaphod is made to step into a chamber, and inside, he learns just how significant he is in the Universe? Most men go insane. Zaphod, of course, finds that he's on top of the list. I think someone, maybe like a Buddhist Monk, would not be surprised by the outcome, and could handle the feeling well.

I've heard some people find comfort in the idea that we are less than ants in the scheme of things. That we are nothing but a flame that goes out as soon as its lit. And no one saw. Some fall into a spiral of nihilism. At any rate, you are going to have to face it some time. It's going to feel like something, depends on the atheist. As far as "God" goes, I don't think It needs to enter the equation.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Hellbound Alleee's post
26-02-2015, 07:41 PM
(26-02-2015 05:29 PM)Hellbound Alleee Wrote:  Most men go insane.

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation."

(26-02-2015 05:29 PM)Hellbound Alleee Wrote:  Some fall into a spiral of nihilism.

We take turns on the belay lines.

#sigh
26-02-2015, 07:46 PM
(26-02-2015 05:29 PM)Hellbound Alleee Wrote:  I have to say, I think emotion is a big part of this--being an atheist stuff. I think we ARE pretty much hard-wired to believe. If you were part of a group of believers, and you don't get that Holy Ghost syndrome, it is a powerful feeling--being left out, basically. Some of us strive to find beauty in reality, others are able to accept to ugliness therein, The feeling of...has anyone read the Hitchhiker's Guide, where Zaphod is made to step into a chamber, and inside, he learns just how significant he is in the Universe? Most men go insane. Zaphod, of course, finds that he's on top of the list. I think someone, maybe like a Buddhist Monk, would not be surprised by the outcome, and could handle the feeling well.

I've heard some people find comfort in the idea that we are less than ants in the scheme of things. That we are nothing but a flame that goes out as soon as its lit. And no one saw. Some fall into a spiral of nihilism. At any rate, you are going to have to face it some time. It's going to feel like something, depends on the atheist. As far as "God" goes, I don't think It needs to enter the equation.

This whole post reminds me of some spoogie moogie woo woo shit bemore shared with me years ago when I first came here. Commie bastard.

#sigh
26-02-2015, 09:24 PM
You are taking the position that you know and feel that there are no gods. This is a positive claim.
Do you have any evidence to back up your claim ?

It really sounds as if you are strawmanning atheism into a faith based assertion.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
26-02-2015, 10:47 PM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2015 11:00 PM by TheBear.)
(26-02-2015 09:35 AM)BlackLady Wrote:  Hello, I've been an Atheist most of my life. I've tried to explain to many people why I don't believe in any god, or religious cult. The only explanation I can give is that "My mind doesn't allow me , doesn't logically accept that there is a god. The same faith or belief you have that allows you to say that god exists, is the same belief that allows me to say he doesn't" Meaning, that the feeling religious people have when they say God exists, is the same feeling I have when i say he doesn't. I tried to understand why I felt that way. I discovered that is due to my brain. Some people, i encountered that are smarter than the average person or with higher IQ's are atheist and they give you the same logic answer I gave you earlier. I believe that as the brain evolves, so will the belief of god subside. People that are more intelligent see a bigger picture that religious people, but... I've seen atheist that are atheist because they hate God or Religion.
I just want to say, that those people are not atheist. To be atheist you have to FEEL that God doesn't exist, you have to know it in your head. You don't need proof, nor evidence you just know it. Can you understand this?

I would like to have your opinions on this subject because I'm still researching on this. If this is true, then if GOD exists why would he ever give as a brain to think that he doesn't exist?Are people with higher IQ more likely to be Atheist? Do you FEEL and KNOW that there is no god as I do?

Thanks!

You say you've been an atheist most of your life, but what you say and how you say it, has all the trappings of a theist.
26-02-2015, 10:59 PM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2015 11:06 PM by TheBear.)
(26-02-2015 09:56 AM)BlackLady Wrote:  Yes , exactly. I know people who say there atheist just because ...or because the hate god, or they just want to bee cool (I know the last sounds dumb, but its true!!!). I just know it. I cant explain how, but I know it.

You left out another group - theists who pretend to be atheists on message boards. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes TheBear's post
27-02-2015, 05:47 AM
Quote:Welcome. While it is disingenuous to assert that all atheists are intelligent (they aren't) or that all religious people are ignorant (they aren't) on average, this is actually true.
I have a question - What you said is true and countless studies + surveys over the years have showed that the more intelligent you are the less likely you are to be religious - But why does it matter so much? From my experience, intelligent people can say really dumb things and less smart people sometimes say really rational smart things. I don't like putting intelligence on a pedestal because it doesn't make anyone a better human being. The most inspiring atheist I've met is my dad and he's not very educated or smart, he's a bit redneck and doesn't know much about science - But his words kill god.

I don't know how high is my IQ, the online tests say 140 but that's bullshit. I'm not interested in knowing either way because from what I've been told depending on the test some people score higher and then lower. It's not predictable.

Another important point is answering the question - What is intelligence? Because I'm pretty sure it's not just IQ tests.

Maybe I'm going off topic so I'm sorry.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything" - Friedrich Nietzsche
27-02-2015, 06:55 AM
(26-02-2015 09:56 AM)BlackLady Wrote:  Yes , exactly. I know people who say there atheist just because ...or because the hate god, or they just want to bee cool (I know the last sounds dumb, but its true!!!). I just know it. I cant explain how, but I know it.

they are atheists because they hate god ?

last I checked, hating god makes you a misotheist NOT an atheist
27-02-2015, 06:57 AM
(26-02-2015 10:59 PM)TheBear Wrote:  

You left out another group - theists who pretend to be atheists on message boards. Drinking Beverage

speaking of which, did this place ever encounter those often ? also how'd they screw up and get exposed ?
27-02-2015, 07:50 AM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2015 07:55 AM by 666wannabe.)
(26-02-2015 09:45 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  There are plenty of intelligent people who believe in or believed in a god, for whatever reason.

Maybe, it is not that many intelligent people "believe" in God, but rather "claim" to believe in God for pragmatic reasons. There are definitely social benefits for this claim--not rocking the boat, going with the flow, etc.

There is an especial pragmatic motivation for claiming to believe in God in the political realm--it is very difficult for an outed atheist to get elected to any political office.

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.