Atheism: "A phase?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2010, 01:48 AM
Atheism: "A phase?"
So, I came out as an Atheist to a few close friends. They have labeled it a "rebellious phase."One of them used to be an Atheist (i'm so sure)
and he says that he grew out of it and is much happier with his life now.
I knew him during this time, and his whole outlook on it was " No god? Let's party!" So maybe that would be considered a phase. However, I am not like that. I'm nice, responsible and moral, but for the right reasons. I am not rebelling againist anything at all, I don't argue about religions nor do many people even know that I am atheist.

So my question to you all is, Do you think "being an Atheist" is ever just a rebellious phase for some people?

and

Do you think that there is a correct age ..; Too young to be Atheist?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2010, 02:38 AM
RE: Atheism: "A phase?"
(19-09-2010 01:48 AM)SarahDarleen Wrote:  So my question to you all is, Do you think "being an Atheist" is ever just a rebellious phase for some people?
and

Yes to the first question. For some people, atheism can be a phase, whether rebellious or just to follow the crowd and, to some, being cool. These prople are not thinking atheists. They have not weighed the evidence. They are also prone to be scooped up by religion again because they haven't weighed the evidence.

Second question. No, We are born atheists. God and religion are indoctrinated into children who are born into religious families.

Christianity used to have an extremely effective recruitment strategy. Pagans had the choice of 1) Christianity or 2) death and or torture. If you are lucky and live in a atheist family, you are likely to remain an atheist from birth to death.
19-09-2010, 04:47 AM
I´m agreeing with No J on the second question. As for the first question, I´m sure i could be. For myself, my rise to atheism started when I was in my teens. I am quite sure that me being in a rebellious phase had a lot to do with it since i was prone to question and/or disbelieve anything said to me by anyone I considered to be an authoritative figure. I´m sure I was not the only one "rebelling" in that way.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
19-09-2010, 08:48 AM
(19-09-2010 02:38 AM)No J. Wrote:  
(19-09-2010 01:48 AM)SarahDarleen Wrote:  So my question to you all is, Do you think "being an Atheist" is ever just a rebellious phase for some people?
and

Yes to the first question. For some people, atheism can be a phase, whether rebellious or just to follow the crowd and, to some, being cool. These prople are not thinking atheists. They have not weighed the evidence. They are also prone to be scooped up by religion again because they haven't weighed the evidence.

Second question. No, We are born atheists. God and religion are indoctrinated into children who are born into religious families.

Christianity used to have an extremely effective recruitment strategy. Pagans had the choice of 1) Christianity or 2) death and or torture. If you are lucky and live in a atheist family, you are likely to remain an atheist from birth to death.

I agree with everything you said. Also I think the people who have not weighed the evidence and can be easily scooped up by religion again, make theists think that any atheist could be "savedRolleyes" I also think that the people who say they are atheist to fit in or to be cool, are giving theists the stereotype of atheists being immoral.
19-09-2010, 08:57 AM

It can be a phase, just like being an anarchist can be a phase (really children, let's grow up and view the human race for what it is). It all depends upon your basis for atheism. As for fitting in or being cool, I don't see how being an atheist will help you fit in or be "cool". People who give half a shit about being "cool" are usually too unsophisticated to even ponder the nature of the universe. By stating you are an atheist, you are basically alienating yourself from 75 percent of the population (US). I guess it may be another thing to incorporate into the personalities of those who already separate themselves from social circles for whatever psychological reason (perhaps from rejection).

In any case, for people who atheism is a phase,they aren't actually thinking about their position any more than a theist teen thinks about his. They just adopt a label to alienate themselves or perhaps to fit in, although in my experience living in pretty liberal Massachusetts, religion doesn't really have a factor in social relationships at school.
Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2010, 01:53 PM
I'm 15, and when I came out as an atheist (I was 14 at the time), my family's first reaction was, "You're only 14, you don't know what you believe in." For a time, I believed them, but then I started thinking and realized that they never said that to me when I called myself a Jew like them.

Atheism can be a phase for some people, but for me, it feels genuine. Even when I practiced Judaism, I didn't care much for God. I wasn't even really involved in the religion. I just called myself what I was told I was.
19-09-2010, 04:50 PM
(19-09-2010 01:53 PM)jkshrout Wrote:  I'm 15, and when I came out as an atheist (I was 14 at the time), my family's first reaction was, "You're only 14, you don't know what you believe in." For a time, I believed them, but then I started thinking and realized that they never said that to me when I called myself a Jew like them.

I got that same thing when I went atheist. When I think for myself I "have no idea" but when I "chose" to be baptized when I was 8 that was completely pure and logical and understood.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
19-09-2010, 07:10 PM

Some people? Most definitely. Most? No.

Quote:Do you think that there is a correct age ..; Too young to be Atheist?

No.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
20-09-2010, 03:14 AM

(19-09-2010 07:10 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  

Some people? Most definitely. Most? No.

Quote:Do you think that there is a correct age ..; Too young to be Atheist?

No.

What Unbeliever said ...
Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2010, 05:33 AM (This post was last modified: 20-09-2010 05:39 AM by catdance62.)
I agree with Unbeliever and 2buckchuck. When you know in your heart that religion is all just a bunch of hooey, you know it. I always, always, felt that way since I was a little kid (my parents were religion-neutral), and although I explored all different religions and attempted to participate in some because that's what I thought I was "supposed' to do (everything from Christianity to Paganism), it always just felt wrong and plastic. Even though I "prayed" I never felt a thing. The only time I ever felt that there might be an achievement of "oneness" with the universe was when I fasted for 3 days and meditated a lot. But then again, I might have just been delirious.
I think a LOT of people, young and old, are atheists, but are too scared of admitting it due to a fear of being ostracized.
If someone asked me, i would tell them, but in general I try not to discuss religion with people (most of the people I am in contact with are my customers) because, like politics, it just ends in big fights most of the time.
In my home when I was growing up we just didn't discuss religion.