Atheism: "A phase?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2010, 02:10 AM
RE: Atheism: "A phase?"
(20-09-2010 05:33 AM)catdance62 Wrote:  The only time I ever felt that there might be an achievement of "oneness" with the universe was when I fasted for 3 days and meditated a lot. But then again, I might have just been delirious.

Meditation does have an effect. It is not a religious effect, it is a natural effect. It can be extremely relaxing and can put you in space where the part of the brain that is most responsible for a self awareness becomes very inactive. This is why people feel at one with the universe. Their sense of self seems to disappear.
Some people meditate but think that they are praying. These people then attribute the effects of meditation to their belief in god. Wrong. meditation works exactly the same for an atheist. The only difference is that the atheists "knows" what he is doing.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2010, 05:24 AM
yeah--I didn't think I was with "god" or something...it was just a really cool feeling.
05-09-2011, 12:55 PM
I believe Atheism can be a phase in a way. However, I think an Atheist is some who rejects religon based on logic, evidence, and observations of nature, and not because you want to look 'cool' or different. I agree with other posters on here, that everyone is born an Atheist, but becomes theist through religoius indoctrination.

I am going to hell because i dare to question bronze-age goat herders, and think for myself.
~Me~

I am not smarter than religious people because I have a better understanding of science than them. I am smarter because I know I am not going to live forever, and I am happy with that.
~Me~
05-09-2011, 01:09 PM

(19-09-2010 01:48 AM)SarahDarleen Wrote:  So my question to you all is, Do you think "being an Atheist" is ever just a rebellious phase for some people?

and

Do you think that there is a correct age ..; Too young to be Atheist?

Sarah, atheism isn't a phase!

We were born with it!

Nobody is born religious.

That phase starts after a sufficient time has been spent on brainwashing young children.

The phase of religiosity, for some, lasts till their dying days (not beyond!), those with more confidence in their own minds end it sooner or later.
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2011, 06:06 PM
(05-09-2011 01:09 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  
(19-09-2010 01:48 AM)SarahDarleen Wrote:  So my question to you all is, Do you think "being an Atheist" is ever just a rebellious phase for some people?

and

Sarah, atheism isn't a phase!

We were born with it!

Nobody is born religious.

That phase starts after a sufficient time has been spent on brainwashing young children.

The phase of religiosity, for some, lasts till their dying days (not beyond!), those with more confidence in their own minds end it sooner or later.

This is 100% correct.
Religion is a phase some unfortunate people are forced to endure.
05-09-2011, 07:38 PM

and

I have always been an atheist. I went to Sunday School for eight years starting at age four and not once did I believe any of the stories I was told. I can still remember looking into the teacher's eyes as she told us about Jesus walking on the water. I was trying to figure out, "Does she believe this rubbish, or do adults just tell lies to children for the fun of it?"

So in my case atheism was not a phase - and I started pretty young.

Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see
06-09-2011, 09:25 AM
(19-09-2010 02:38 AM)No J. Wrote:  If you are lucky and live in a atheist family, you are likely to remain an atheist from birth to death.

I've met a few people who had the good fortune to grow up as atheists. To me they seem like characters from an advanced civilization out of science fiction.

In fact I wish I could have grown up in an atheist culture myself, instead of having to put up with Tulsa's "rapture ready" religious environment in the 1970's.
06-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Atheism isn't an end goal that you achieve, but a path you take. Any one of us could start believing in a religion on any day, and we wouldn't question if that person was "a believer all along". It happens. In fact, most of us would (or we at least pay lip service to the idea that we would) believe in a God if the evidence for His existence became stronger than the evidence against it.

However, I was baptized as a Catholic when I was a baby. I became a protestant Christian when I got a little older. My family members that are Catholic see me as Catholic still, and family members that are protestant still see me as one of them. The bible's words inspire this idea of "once saved, always saved". But it simply isn't true.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user