Atheism Debunked

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2012, 09:16 PM
RE: Atheism Debunked

I love how Matt & Jen handle these same types of arguments. What they said.

It is the argument from ignorance. Which to my ears is the argument causing annoyance.

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Yeah. Largely unfortunate video.

There are some interesting points but it's the leaps that are not supported.

He mentions several times that because X THEN there must be a creator. It's not a valid logical leap and there is no evidence to support the existence of a creator. As much as I doubt it, there may very well be, but it was not present in the video.

Another just as reasonable explanation is that the reason there is life is because the universe is so finely tuned. If it wasn't, we wouldn't be around to comment about it. I think the video's author makes a leap somewhere in there based on the assumption that the universe was made for us. I make no such assumption and so I don't need a reason to explain why the universe is "perfect" for life. What I do know is that it is. That's where my knowledge ends.

Then the transition from some quite sound understanding of the nature of the universe to the Biblical references is... I'm trying to be polite. It's a great rhetorical device. He dazzles with reasonably sound science (he just deviates with lousy conclusions) and establishes himself as someone who is knowledgeable and then tries to carry that credibility forward into a completely unrelated subject. What the Bible has to do with the fundamental forces of the universe is beyond me.

Milk comes from cows. It's filled with important nutrition. If you churn it, it turns into cheese. There are many forms of cheese. That's why it's possible that Jesus turned water into wine and why whine becomes Jesus' blood. Yeah. It's a shitty jump. But I sure do know a lot about cheese so maybe, just maybe, I got the low down on the whole transubstantiation thing.

Hey, ex-atheist.

Welcome to the forum. For the record, I'm an Agnostic, not an Atheist (cue people shaking their fists screaming "yes he is" at their monitor) just so you're aware that there are other voices around here.

I think scribe got it right. Ya gotta chill out, brother. You just showed up the the party and your first move was to piss in the punch bowl. I'm not all that confident that this particular video would have gotten a warm welcome no matter how you represented yourself, but, dude, straight up, we're all people here. We can speak to each other civilly.

You're not in enemy territory. Ya don't gotta pick a fight. Chillax.

I hope you stick around and both find something of value here and find a way to lend to the community.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 4 users Like Ghost's post
20-06-2012, 09:48 PM
The burden of proof, ex-atheist, is on you. Did you come to Christianity by disproving Islam, Hindi, and Confucism? Did you disprove Scientology and the Flying Spaghetti Monster, too?

Skepticism is the default position, otherwise you're forced to accept mutually exclusive religious claims or you have to accept each and every religious proposition you hear until you've proven them wrong. Or you can look at it rationally and understand that each individual religion has the burden of proof. That includes yours.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
20-06-2012, 09:51 PM (This post was last modified: 20-06-2012 09:56 PM by Hafnof.)
"Adding comments has been disabled for this video."

It seems you don't actually want feedback on your video.

If you are interested in feedback, you should start by understanding the "argument from ignorance" and how this video uses it. The central argument here is "you can't explain that, therefore God". Well, one does not follow from the other. "I don't know" is a perfectly appropriate answer, especially when this involves active inquiry to keep pushing the boundaries of what we know to discover more. There are few things that you get clearly wrong, such as the DNA "letters" matching up to each other. They do that because of chemistry, not because of God. We don't know why the constants of the universe are as they are, or whether the big bang had a "cause" or not but some of us are still searching for the answer on these questions. Some of us are not satisfied with "therefore God".

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
20-06-2012, 09:51 PM
"I really want to see how atheists squirm out of this one"

...and by that I mean, I want to ring the atheist forum doorbell and run away giggling like a little girl, convincing myself that I really showed them.

Why do theists always ask stupid, cut-n-paste topics then run and hide behind their preacher's skirt? At least when atheists venture over to theist forums they stay and continue to ask questions until they are invariably banned. If I knew nothing about theists or atheists, I would prefer atheists simply for the size of their balls. Big, bold, inquisitive, intellectually honest balls.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 3 users Like Buddy Christ's post
20-06-2012, 09:54 PM
I wonder if they are apologetics in training or some guys from carm. *shudders*

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
20-06-2012, 10:05 PM
God did it!!!!!!!!

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
20-06-2012, 10:11 PM
(20-06-2012 09:20 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, ex-atheist.

Welcome to the forum.

Love your optimism, but there's a 95% chance that it was ex-atheist's first and last post. If the video's comments were disabled, how likely is it that he or she wants a real conversation about it?

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Dodgy Ohmy Ohmy Ohmy Unsure Dodgy <----- my reaction to the video.... The last face was when I realized that the comments were diasbled.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 4 users Like Atothetheist's post
21-06-2012, 12:28 AM (This post was last modified: 21-06-2012 12:32 AM by Logisch.)
You know it's a retarded debater when they disable ratings and comments for fear of any reply. LOL.

Fundamental misunderstanding of atheism, fundamental misunderstanding of science, cherry picking, strawman, confirmation bias, the argument from complexity, and logical fallacies all in one video! When you want to fail, make sure you use every fail trick in the book.

Nothing to see here folks.

PS: OP if you ever log on to see the replies and bother to not reply because you're too chickenshit, at least go spend some time on http://talkorigins.org/indexcc/index.html so you sound less stupid next time, this stuff has been refuted and beat to a bloody pulp time and time and time and time and time again.