Atheism Defined On Jeopardy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2017, 10:47 AM
RE: Atheism Defined On Jeopardy
Does everyone know this is something like 3 years old?
So saying anything on social media is pointless.

http://rationaljesse.blogspot.ca/2014/06...heist.html
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-09-2017, 06:44 PM
(17-09-2017 06:52 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  ...The question is "Who gives a shit what they say on Jeopardy?"

I think the (belated) concern was that this sort of blatant misrepresentation of atheism can be too easily absorbed by the ignorant masses of people who typically watch this sort of TV dross.

Fun fact: The average age of Jeopardy viewers is 64.2 years. (Nielsen Survey)
Worrying fact: 10.125 million people watch Jeopardy M-F. (Nielsen Ratings)
Conclusion: Dumb old people who watch Jeopardy are more than likely the same demographic that's easily convinced of its "factoids" as truth.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
17-09-2017, 07:35 PM
It's hard for me to get worked up what anyone assumes about my beliefs so long as it isn't in my face.
17-09-2017, 08:19 PM
(17-09-2017 08:32 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(16-09-2017 09:11 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  It's a seven minute video...can someone briefly explain what happened?

I watched it? You don't have 7 minutes to watch it? I think it is pretty self explanatory.

I've seen Jeopardy, I know how the show works. It takes 7 seconds, not 7 minutes, for a single question and answer, so no I don't have 6 minutes 53 seconds to watch just general Jeopardy questions and answers that have nothing to do with why we are talking about this at all. Or did they stop the show at that question and discuss it for 6 minutes and 53 seconds?

[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
18-09-2017, 11:05 AM
The person who posted the video broke it down as to why the definition was wrong, and it took nearly 7 mins.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-09-2017, 11:23 AM
(17-09-2017 08:19 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  
(17-09-2017 08:32 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  I watched it? You don't have 7 minutes to watch it? I think it is pretty self explanatory.

I've seen Jeopardy, I know how the show works. It takes 7 seconds, not 7 minutes, for a single question and answer, so no I don't have 6 minutes 53 seconds to watch just general Jeopardy questions and answers that have nothing to do with why we are talking about this at all. Or did they stop the show at that question and discuss it for 6 minutes and 53 seconds?

Chill dude and watch the video or not...

The video goes into some detail why the question was messed up. I didn't mind watching it. I've wasted 7 minutes and more watching something stupid.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-09-2017, 04:53 PM
(18-09-2017 11:05 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  The person who posted the video broke it down as to why the definition was wrong, and it took nearly 7 mins.

Ah okay thank you.

18-09-2017, 04:55 PM
(18-09-2017 11:23 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Chill dude and watch the video or not...

The video goes into some detail why the question was messed up. I didn't mind watching it. I've wasted 7 minutes and more watching something stupid.

Okay my bad. I had it stuck in my mind that it was going to be seven minutes of the game itself, and maybe around between 5:42 and 5:55 the atheism thing comes up. That was stupid of me.

19-09-2017, 06:26 AM
(18-09-2017 04:55 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  Okay my bad. I had it stuck in my mind that it was going to be seven minutes of the game itself, and maybe around between 5:42 and 5:55 the atheism thing comes up. That was stupid of me.

That's what I'd assumed.
19-09-2017, 06:58 AM
(18-09-2017 11:23 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(17-09-2017 08:19 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  I've seen Jeopardy, I know how the show works. It takes 7 seconds, not 7 minutes, for a single question and answer, so no I don't have 6 minutes 53 seconds to watch just general Jeopardy questions and answers that have nothing to do with why we are talking about this at all. Or did they stop the show at that question and discuss it for 6 minutes and 53 seconds?

Chill dude and watch the video or not...

The point in challenging the show, is that it is has huge influence on society. If it is going to value education, which is it's marketing then it is important the show is put to task. Of course everyone knows how the show works, still not the point.

The point was in the video that the question was an unfair and inaccurate representation. The video linked in the OP is a criticism which is important to know for both atheists and theists.

No, one does not have to watch it, but I would recommend it because it may provide others with with arguments they may not have thought of against such inaccurate definitions.

Even outside the issue of Jeopardy, back when I was an ignorant atheist, if I had simply left it at "there is no God" and never read the arguments of other atheists I would have remained ignorant and back then, looking back, was more easy pickings for a slick apologist.

7 minutes is nothing, compared to having read Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens, Tyson. The other reason one should want to is it also provides an opportunity to go to their media pages and challenge those inaccuracies.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user