Atheism: Ignorance on "the old and new covenant"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-11-2015, 11:39 AM
RE: Atheism: Ignorance on "the old and new covenant"
Quote: The Bible advocates persecution.
The closest i can think of is Psalm 2, and Luke.. (Well its parable of ten minas, i dont remember the chapter Tongue) But its open for interpretation. But i can see how in the old days of medieval time that its different from then and now.

Sigrid Undset was someone who prefered if women submitted to men though, she was very fasinated with roman catholicism, but also a strong believing christian. Just read about history, new realism dealing with before the union with Denmark happend or the black death.
Which the novel "Kristin Lavransdatter" takes place in
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigrid_Undset

Although i also read a funny note. It says on the napkin therefor i believe it Tongue well i am not that dunce, although you may think of me as one Tongue.

I have studied islamic theology.
Quran 69:44 - 46
Sahih al-bukhari 4428
Sunni Islam desputed just based on reading that. Aorta case where Muhammad would be a liar if his aorta was cut, which is confirmed in authentic hadith sources from sahih al bukhari, i even read a tafsir from ibn kathir to get the context correct

And rest of islam. Satanic verses, although muslims claim the source is weak, there are lots of experts who says it came from an original source.

Christianity has heaven and hell. And the only conclusion of disbelieving is massive scepticism like "Other gods cultures throughout history" and stuff like that. I had no way of disproving it. So i just came to believe in it. I guess its why C.S Lewis also became a christian, but thats just my view : 3
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-11-2015, 11:40 AM
(23-11-2015 11:29 AM)Keiya Wrote:  
(23-11-2015 11:16 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Nice try. You can stop preaching any time now. We are not simpletons as you seem to be. There is no difference between humans now and before Jebus, so "salvation" did not work. Many religious people are evil, and you have no evidence that people's lives are better, as believers. Prove it. Prophesy is not "prediction of the future" so I see you have no education in Biblical Study.
Your presumptions about behavior tell us more about YOU, than they tell us about what atheists do. You can't even prove that Jesus ever existed. You seem to be under the completely ignorant assumption that HONEST people who really don't buy your garbage can somehow choose to believe. We can't. Is you god so stupid he doesn't know that people who REALLY don't beleieve can just *say* they do ? Look up the words"intellectual honesty". Jebus said "No one shall come to me UNLESS the Father draw him". "Many are called but FEW are chosen". Now why would he say that if he picked EVERYONE ? You're a typical deluded fundie believer. We are not stupid.

I don't expect people to believe because they feel pressure into it. What point would that be? Thats like saying "Love your father or else i will beat you?". The thing is faith alone can't get you to believe, you need to understand it first. Even me myself couldn't understand what god was all about, so i never believed it. It was when i gathered knowledge and understood that "he wants us to go his way so that we may stay righteous that way".

Like the idea is not to force people, thats theocracy which i am totally against. I am more liking the idea to understanding, i dont think it will work just by saying "belief, or believe hard enough" its by understanding that one will know god. Atleast how i see it.

I am not against your non belief. Just saying that i am not in favour of persecution or any sort of stuff, thats horrible in my view.

You'd do very well to read up on Catholic history then.

Btw: my atheism has zero to do with the old/new covenant horsecrap theists like to throw out. Just for the record it's got little to do with science as well (just another tired point theist types like to say).

I'm atheist because it's all nothing but myth, a myth that I hope will eventually fall by way of Zeus and the hundreds of other gods that no one believes in any longer.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
23-11-2015, 11:41 AM
(23-11-2015 08:51 AM)Keiya Wrote:  Not saying this to be insulting. But, i usually hear on the internet. Usually from atheists saying "Wow can you believe what the old testament says?" SNIP
But basically. The thing is Jesus is the new covenant that Christians follow. Does this makes the old covenant invalid, nope. Absolutely not. But here is the keyrole. If you want to keep the jewish laws "Basically you become jew" then you have to obey every law.

So why are so many Christian denominations - particularly those of the evangelical protestant persuasion - so keen to quote scripture? It's brought up all the time and quoted ad nauseum when those Christians wish to pass judgement on someone or something.

It seems to me many Christians don't differentiate between Old and New.

Can you blame atheists for pouring scorn on this?

And the New Testament frequently confirms and/or condones the nonsense contained in the Old Testament - slavery, promotion of mass killing etc.

So why is the New Covenant any better, or any more credible than the old one?
23-11-2015, 11:42 AM
(23-11-2015 11:39 AM)Keiya Wrote:  
The closest i can think of is Psalm 2, and Luke.. (Well its parable of ten minas, i dont remember the chapter Tongue) But its open for interpretation. But i can see how in the old days of medieval time that its different from then and now.

Sigrid Undset was someone who prefered if women submitted to men though, she was very fasinated with roman catholicism, but also a strong believing christian. Just read about history, new realism dealing with before the union with Denmark happend or the black death.

Although i also read a funny note. It says on the napkin therefor i believe it Tongue well i am not that dunce, although you may think of me as one Tongue.

Sahih al-bukhari 4428
Sunni Islam desputed just based on reading that. Aorta case where Muhammad would be a liar if his aorta was cut, which is confirmed in authentic hadith sources from sahih al bukhari, i even read a tafsir from ibn kathir to get the context correct

And rest of islam. Satanic verses, although muslims claim the source is weak, there are lots of experts who says it came from an original source.

Christianity has heaven and hell. And the only conclusion of disbelieving is massive scepticism like "Other gods cultures throughout history" and stuff like that. I had no way of disproving it. So i just came to believe in it. I guess its why C.S Lewis also became a christian, but thats just my view : 3

For Persecution in the Bible: Read Deuteronomy, Leviticus, Exodus, Chronicles, Romans, Numbers to name a few...
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
23-11-2015, 11:44 AM
(23-11-2015 11:39 AM)Keiya Wrote:  

Sahih al-bukhari 4428

If you are only believing because you have no way of disproving it--then your best bet to *be safe* would be to believe in and worship all the thousands of gods and goddesses and demigods that there ever were, ever are, and ever will be.
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
23-11-2015, 11:49 AM
(23-11-2015 11:44 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(23-11-2015 11:39 AM)Keiya Wrote:  The closest i can think of is Psalm 2, and Luke.. (Well its parable of ten minas, i dont remember the chapter Tongue) But its open for interpretation. But i can see how in the old days of medieval time that its different from then and now.

Sahih al-bukhari 4428

If you are only believing because you have no way of disproving it--then your best bet to *be safe* would be to believe in and worship all the thousands of gods and goddesses and demigods that there ever were, ever are, and ever will be.

Well thats not how monotheism works so that would be a sin. But besides, i dont think other religions have the idea of "Non worship = Hell" Zoroastrianism i think bases it on your actions.

Abrahamic is more or less if you choose to disbelieve. I don't think other religions have that as a concept.
23-11-2015, 11:51 AM
(23-11-2015 11:49 AM)Keiya Wrote:  
(23-11-2015 11:44 AM)jennybee Wrote:  If you are only believing because you have no way of disproving it--then your best bet to *be safe* would be to believe in and worship all the thousands of gods and goddesses and demigods that there ever were, ever are, and ever will be.

Well thats not how monotheism works so that would be a sin. But besides, i dont think other religions have the idea of "Non worship = Hell" Zoroastrianism i think bases it on your actions.

Abrahamic is more or less if you choose to disbelieve. I don't think other religions have that as a concept.

So the only reason u r believing is out of fear of hell? Is that really a good reason to believe in a book that advocates hate?
23-11-2015, 11:54 AM
I can't stand some of these immoral and/or ignorant passages

Luke 14:26
"If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters--yes, even their own life--such a person cannot be my disciple."

Mark 11:13-14 and 11:20-21
11:13 "And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if haply he might find any thing thereon: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not yet.
11:14 And Jesus answered and said unto it, No man eat fruit of thee hereafter for ever. And his disciples heard it.

11:20 And in the morning, as they passed by, they saw the fig tree dried up from the roots.
11:21 And Peter calling to remembrance saith unto him, Master, behold, the fig tree which thou cursedst is withered away."

Who the fuck curses a fig tree for not bearing fruit out of season?

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
23-11-2015, 11:54 AM
(23-11-2015 11:51 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(23-11-2015 11:49 AM)Keiya Wrote:  Well thats not how monotheism works so that would be a sin. But besides, i dont think other religions have the idea of "Non worship = Hell" Zoroastrianism i think bases it on your actions.

So the only reason u r believing is out of fear of hell? Is that really a good reason to believe in a book that advocates hate?

Fear is not necessarily a bad thing. Psychological traumas and dillemma is bad though, if you seem to not function. But fearing because of what god knows the best way for us i think is a good thing. But remember, the new testament statest plenty of times "Fear not" good news is nothing to fear ^^

Well i believe because i think its true too. So its not just out of fear. But also because my life is better and rewards me because of the belief.
23-11-2015, 11:56 AM
(23-11-2015 11:54 AM)Keiya Wrote:  
(23-11-2015 11:51 AM)jennybee Wrote:  So the only reason u r believing is out of fear of hell? Is that really a good reason to believe in a book that advocates hate?

Fear is not necessarily a bad thing. Psychological traumas and dillemma is bad though, if you seem to not function. But fearing because of what god knows the best way for us i think is a good thing. But remember, the new testament statest plenty of times "Fear not" good news is nothing to fear ^^

Well i believe because i think its true too. So its not just out of fear. But also because my life is better and rewards me because of the belief.

You do realize I hope, the Hebrews in the OT did not believe in heaven and hell.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post