Atheism Plus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2013, 01:30 AM
Atheism Plus
I'm not sure why I haven't heard of it until recently (or perhaps I have and simply wasn't interested), but in the past few days I've been hearing a lot about "Atheism Plus". More specifically, I've heard it cast in a negative light. The most recent individual to whom I spoke stated that "Atheism Plus is a blight on Atheism."

Having no idea what it was in order to either agree or object to his claim, I decided to do some digging. It seems that Atheism Plus is a movement which seeks to unite atheists in their mutual non-belief - and the rationality which usually inspires it - in order to tackle pressing social issues. In layman's terms, "We're atheists and we're here to destroy racism/sexism/whateverthefuck".

Personally, I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, I don't see why Atheism needs to be attached to any particular counter-movement; unless that movement is religious belief itself. If we want to tackle racism or homophobia, then by all means, go for it. But our lack of belief in God(s) is irrelevant to it entirely. And, in some ways, tacking Atheism onto a cause (causes tend to inspire extremism) has the potential to make all atheists look like arrogant, in-your-face sign-wavers. On the other hand, however, I'm glad that conservative, superstitious America (I'm speaking only from my immediate situation, but this applies to the entire world) can bear witness to godless, heathenistic heretics and non-believers pushing for equality and social harmony like the evil devils that we are. Then again, it's probably lost on them anyway, because equality and social harmony means accepting the fags and the niggers and, worst of all, the non-believers themselves. (Conservative America just shit herself)

So, I'm on the fence about this. I don't wanna say I support it - I get a kind of extremist vibe - but I don't feel strongly enough to call it a "blight" either. At least, not at this juncture. I don't yet know the full extent of the issue. Perhaps I'd hate it if I learned everything about it. Perhaps I'd love it. Most likely, however, I'll be what I usually am when it comes to big social issues. Completely indifferent.

Anybody else know anything about Atheism Plus? If so; your thoughts?

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2013, 01:39 AM
RE: Atheism Plus
Here's some previous stuff...

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...heism+plus

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...heism+plus

Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
20-01-2013, 01:46 AM
It's founded by and dominated by extreme feminists -- the "Elevatorgate" types who consider flirting to be oppression by the patriarchy and demand anti-rape policies at conventions. The type of folks Thunderfoot has spent too much time making videos about recently.

Nice idea, not nice people. Steer clear, I'd say.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 7 users Like Phaedrus's post
20-01-2013, 01:53 AM
(20-01-2013 01:46 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Nice idea, not nice people. Steer clear, I'd say.
This seems to be the general consensus, from what I'm seeing. Consider

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
20-01-2013, 02:00 AM
Missy,
If you sign up for it, I would suggest using a different ID and avatar otherwise you'll get hung, drawn and quartered!

Yes

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
20-01-2013, 02:24 AM
I just don't see the need. Even if it weren't dominated by nutters, I think there is exactly one thing all atheists have in common: lack of belief in god(s). Once you start adding all this shit, you're not going to get agreement, and you're going to get this elitist club with a bunch of arbitrary rules.

Now, I'm for equal rights/pay/etc for women, gay rights, and so on, but I would not expect all other atheists to feel that way. I'm sure there are lots of homophobic, racist, misogynistic atheists (which is not terribly surprising considering the term has fuckall to do with any of that). Hell, some atheists believe in ghosts and ESP. Atheism isn't even necessarily being rational about the supernatural; it's only one stance on whether or not gods exist. Atheists can believe in woo and all sorts of stuff there is no evidence for.

And, as the OP said, there is just no reason to attach atheism to human rights issues. The only thing atheism is attached to is the question of whether or not you think gods exist. If they want to attach other shit, they should make up another word (and not just a plus sign).
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
20-01-2013, 03:15 AM
(20-01-2013 02:24 AM)amyb Wrote:  Atheism isn't even necessarily being rational about the supernatural; it's only one stance on whether or not gods exist. Atheists can believe in woo and all sorts of stuff there is no evidence for.
The non-existence of God and the regenerative power of drinking the blood of children spring immediately to mind.

But hey, infighting among branches of the Atheist cult makes a good spectator sport.

Check out my YouTube channel for more videos and information Smile

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ5PX9Y...1uwXxWwQ6w
20-01-2013, 03:18 AM
The blood of children is much sweeter than the blood of a 2000 year old Palestinian.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 3 users Like Phaedrus's post
20-01-2013, 04:04 AM
(20-01-2013 03:18 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  The blood of children is much sweeter than the blood of a 2000 year old Palestinian.
That which is given willingly as part of a sacred covenant compared with the brutal slaughter of the innocent? You don't see the problem with your demonic occultism?

Check out my YouTube channel for more videos and information Smile

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ5PX9Y...1uwXxWwQ6w
20-01-2013, 04:06 AM
The only reason that I have ever labeled myself as an atheist is because I live in America and Christian bs is shoved down my throat through our crazy politicians. I don't care about my level of atheism..how to brand it, what color,shape or size..but mostly I don't want to argue with anyone about their beliefs and or lack thereof if they simply have another view.. I see no reason to lump all non believing people together for any other reason than to fight against religion in politics.. I do see a need for us to somehow make our presence known so that we may grow away from religion... I think atheists should have a voice in politics if only to say we are here and we object to your morals being shoved on me... How to do that and still maintain that we are full spectrum of society escapes me.

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
[+] 2 users Like k37713's post