Atheism Plus; do many subscribe to this movement?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2015, 01:39 PM
I may be a day late and a dollar short on this, but I recently saw some info about this movement and how divisive it seemed to be at the time it started (2012?). I've read about a manifesto by Richard Carrier that says every atheist who do not subscribe to certain beliefs are sanctioning rape, and several other topics. I've heard that libertarians can never be a part of the A+ movement, which makes sense since it seems like it's politics and not about belief (or lack of belief) in religion and God(s). On this forum specifically, if I'm a sceptic on religion and have a libertarian view on politics...am I not welcome on this site?

I ask because I know Seth is good friends with Aron Ra and Matt, and unless I'm mistaken they are aligned with A+ and Richard Carrier's beliefs on social justice issues. I'm a firm believer in equality and civil rights for minorities, women and same sex attraction, but not how A+ defines the problems and proposes solutions.

I thought atheism and politics were mutually exclusive except when people try to use gov't to impose religious beliefs on everyone. Apologies if this was covered in earlier threads or if the movement is largely dead. I'm pretty new to this world.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-06-2015, 01:47 PM
RE: Atheism Plus; do many subscribe to this movement?
No idea what's up with them. Loadsa noise when they started up, now it's died down. Shits given to date: 0.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 7 users Like morondog's post
21-06-2015, 01:50 PM
I joined long time ago...but found it very dull.

I like this place better.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

21-06-2015, 01:58 PM
Never heard of it. Is it like the "New Atheists"? Never heard of them either until I came here. I'm still trying to grasp what a "militant atheist" means.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
21-06-2015, 02:08 PM
(21-06-2015 01:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Never heard of it. Is it like the "New Atheists"? Never heard of them either until I came here. I'm still trying to grasp what a "militant atheist" means.

The atheist with a thousand aunts. Surprisingly common.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
21-06-2015, 02:11 PM
I don't have much of a problem with labels when they're used as a type of shorthand to convey a general idea or description in a word or two.
When they're used to put an ultra-fine point on something (especially me) they lose what little usefulness they had.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
21-06-2015, 04:03 PM
People like Carrier, Dawkins, Hitchens, Aron Ra, and even Seth do not define any part of me. Even they can kiss my ass should they decide to tell me what I should or should not think.
21-06-2015, 06:26 PM
(21-06-2015 04:03 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  People like Carrier, Dawkins, Hitchens, Aron Ra, and even Seth do not define any part of me. Even they can kiss my ass should they decide to tell me what I should or should not think.

That's the point that confused me about Atheist +. I used to have some respect for Richard Carrier for his area of expertise and was open to seeing his views on Christianity from a historical and textual critical stance. I still value his expertise, but never thought of him as anything more than his credentials. But man, seeing some of the bullshit he's written about the Atheist + movement and his "religious convictions" of what they stand for...what an asshole he is.

Honestly, that's going to be the challenge for me moving forward is to be able to objectively separate the work of prominent people within the atheist community in relation to where their credentialed expertise lies from the lay opinions they have on issues they are not experts in. It's like Henry Ford - he accomplished a lot in the realm of manufacturing and the progress we made from his assembly line - but don't take anything else he did outside of his sphere of expertise seriously.
21-06-2015, 08:18 PM
@Plan 9 from OS

Atheism is a large movement just like civil rights movement, feminism, humanism, etc. In such large movement you are bound to find a lot of different people and you are bound to disagree with them on a lot of things. It doesn't make these persons insights less valuable on certain subject. You might even come to disagree with some atheist on the foundation of atheism itself. Debates inside a various members of the same movement is sign of health.
21-06-2015, 08:32 PM
Never heard of it. Don't care. Lifelong atheist here. I simply have no beliefs in gods and stupid crap. I have nothing in common with the deconverted either. I am also not a member of any movement.

I am just an atheist.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 6 users Like Banjo's post