Atheism Plus; do many subscribe to this movement?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2015, 08:46 PM
RE: Atheism Plus; do many subscribe to this movement?
Atheism+ is (or was - since it seems to have died down substantially) like religion for atheists. It's just as fearful of critical thought as most religions, too. If religion is far, far right, atheism+ is far, FAAAR left, and the farther you go to either side the more they start to look like one another, or so they say.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-06-2015, 08:50 PM
I'm assuming/hoping it's a good sign that I haven't heard much about A+ since a few years ago when I first heard about it (around when I first heard about Carrier's work on the Jesus mysticism stuff).

I personally think labels should be kept as specific as possible. I don't want to mix politics and social issues into my atheism. Atheism is fairly simple, and I like that. Politics and social issues are messy.
[+] 4 users Like Dex's post
21-06-2015, 10:31 PM
There is no real "A+". There is no mailing address, no president, no official donation site. It's just a term to describe an idea that atheism by itself is meaningless. And since it's just an idea, there are just as many interpretations of A+ as there are people.

Atheism is the lack of a belief in a god. It means you can be an atheist and still be racist, sexist, anti science, cultish, murderous, scamming, etc, ETC. So where does that leave you? What's the real point of atheism if the world can theoretically stay the same if 100% of the population is atheist?

Most atheist aren't happy with being a "technical" atheist. Not believing in a god and leaving it at that. Most people want to ADDRESS and MEND problems that seem to be caused by religion. The extra bit of addressing and mending is the PLUS part in Atheism plus.

People are going to argue on what should be addressed and how it should be mended. And that's fine. But have that conversation. All atheists should be a little "atheist plus" if they want their atheism to mean something.
[+] 2 users Like PoolBoyG's post
21-06-2015, 10:36 PM
(21-06-2015 10:31 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  There is no real "A+". There is no mailing address, no president, no official donation site. It's just a term to describe an idea that atheism by itself is meaningless. And since it's just an idea, there are just as many interpretations of A+ as there are people.

Atheism is the lack of a belief in a god. It means you can be an atheist and still be racist, sexist, anti science, cultish, murderous, scamming, etc, ETC. So where does that leave you? What's the real point of atheism if the world can theoretically stay the same if 100% of the population is atheist?

Most atheist aren't happy with being a "technical" atheist. Not believing in a god and leaving it at that. Most people want to ADDRESS and MEND problems that seem to be caused by religion. The extra bit of addressing and mending is the PLUS part in Atheism plus.

People are going to argue on what should be addressed and how it should be mended. And that's fine. But have that conversation. All atheists should be a little "atheist plus" if they want their atheism to mean something.

That is incredibly stupid. Atheism is the answer to 1 question only. As far as it goes being an Atheist is the least descriptive thing about me but trying to tack on more and more things to the name just dilutes what it is.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 5 users Like Revenant77x's post
21-06-2015, 10:38 PM (This post was last modified: 21-06-2015 10:41 PM by pablo.)
I would rather just identify as an atheist and have any other ideals I choose to have, without having to fit the mold of whatever that little + symbol entails.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
21-06-2015, 11:01 PM
(21-06-2015 01:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  ...

I'm still trying to grasp what a "militant atheist" means.

"Militants" blow shit up.

"Militant Atheists" blow up party balloons with their farts.

Simple.

Girl_nails

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
21-06-2015, 11:05 PM
I reject Atheism+ because I reject dogma.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
21-06-2015, 11:35 PM
(21-06-2015 10:31 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  There is no real "A+". There is no mailing address, no president, no official donation site. It's just a term to describe an idea that atheism by itself is meaningless. And since it's just an idea, there are just as many interpretations of A+ as there are people.

OK cool, but IIRC the original A+ movement was started by a specific group of people who had specific ideas what the '+' entailed, and tended to get quite antsy if people didn't conform to *their* ideas.

Since most atheists tend to be non-conformists, it was always going to end badly.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
21-06-2015, 11:40 PM
(21-06-2015 11:35 PM)morondog Wrote:  

OK cool, but IIRC the original A+ movement was started by a specific group of people who had specific ideas what the '+' entailed, and tended to get quite antsy if people didn't conform to *their* ideas.

Since most atheists tend to be non-conformists, it was always going to end badly.

Yea, fuck that.
22-06-2015, 04:37 AM
(21-06-2015 10:31 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  Atheism is the lack of a belief in a god. It means you can be an atheist and still be racist, sexist, anti science, cultish, murderous, scamming, etc, ETC. So where does that leave you? What's the real point of atheism if the world can theoretically stay the same if 100% of the population is atheist?

It leaves you wherever you want to be left. It's lack of belief not religion or set of norms or whatever else.

(21-06-2015 10:31 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  Most atheist aren't happy with being a "technical" atheist. Not believing in a god and leaving it at that. Most people want to ADDRESS and MEND problems that seem to be caused by religion. The extra bit of addressing and mending is the PLUS part in Atheism plus.

Really? How do you know how most atheist feel? I think there is no need in trying to mash lack of belief with specific stance on religion. I don't believe and I don't care if others believe as long as they don't try to force their dogma on me. Other atheist may feel differently about religion but so what? Why should I care?

(21-06-2015 10:31 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  People are going to argue on what should be addressed and how it should be mended. And that's fine. But have that conversation. All atheists should be a little "atheist plus" if they want their atheism to mean something.

I don't think so. I don't need to discus or agree with anyone else for my atheism to mean something. It's already means that I don't try to shift responsibility for my life onto some space wizard, it don't need to mean more.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post