Atheism Plus; do many subscribe to this movement?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-06-2015, 04:56 AM
RE: Atheism Plus; do many subscribe to this movement?
Atheism+ is notorious for censorship of any opinions they don't want to hear. If you reject some idea of the 3rd wave feminism and argue in cogent and calm manner, you'll get called sexist, banned and added to some sort of block list with the names of some of your social networking accounts that they know of. It's an incredibly closed wall.

Constraining people to what they think is dogmatic.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Kaepora Gaebora's post
22-06-2015, 08:08 AM
Atheism +
Wasn't that a movement where being an atheist wasn't good enough? Didn't you have to be liberal and a feminist as well to be considersed a worthy human being?
I don't think they were free thinkers so fuck 'em.
[+] 4 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
22-06-2015, 08:21 AM
I don't know much about Atheism+, but it seems like it has kind of been replaced by atheists setting up community centers and weekly church-like meetings.

As for the libertarian views, I like Hitchens analysis:
“I have always found it quaint and rather touching that there is a movement [Libertarians] in the US that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.”
-Christopher Hitchens

I thought I was libertarian, until I started reading about libertarianism. Then I realized it was childish and selfish and not in line with realistic solutions to our problems.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
22-06-2015, 08:38 AM
(22-06-2015 08:08 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Atheism +
Wasn't that a movement where being an atheist wasn't good enough? Didn't you have to be liberal and a feminist as well to be considersed a worthy human being?

Er... but you *do* have to be a liberal and a feminist to be a worthy human being.

Big Grin

I just don't call it atheism +.

I prefer atheism++.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
22-06-2015, 10:04 AM
(22-06-2015 08:38 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(22-06-2015 08:08 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Atheism +

Er... but you *do* have to be a liberal and a feminist to be a worthy human being.

Big Grin

I just don't call it atheism +.

I prefer atheism++.

Or one could be both conservative and liberal minded (depending on the issue) and an egalitarian to be a worthy human being. Wink
[+] 3 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
22-06-2015, 10:13 AM (This post was last modified: 22-06-2015 10:16 AM by Drunkin Druid.)
(22-06-2015 08:21 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I don't know much about Atheism+, but it seems like it has kind of been replaced by atheists setting up community centers and weekly church-like meetings.

“I have always found it quaint and rather touching that there is a movement [Libertarians] in the US that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.”
-Christopher Hitchens

I thought I was libertarian, until I started reading about libertarianism. Then I realized it was childish and selfish and not in line with realistic solutions to our problems.
I think a lot of libertarian views are valid. I see no problem with maximizing individual freedom when ever possible. Example. Pot is not exactly legal here in Canada. Why the fuck not? Why do government have the right to tell me what I can smoke?
Anyway I'm not sure what I could be called politically but I think as long as I ain't hurting anybody else I should be able to do whatever the hell I want. Any less is tyranny.. Ok maybe not tyranny but I still don't have to like it.
I've always had a problem with authority.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
22-06-2015, 10:28 AM
(22-06-2015 10:13 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(22-06-2015 08:21 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I don't know much about Atheism+, but it seems like it has kind of been replaced by atheists setting up community centers and weekly church-like meetings.

-Christopher Hitchens

I think a lot of libertarian views are valid. I see no problem with maximizing individual freedom when ever possible. Example. Pot is not exactly legal here in Canada. Why the fuck not? Why do government have the right to tell me what I can smoke?
Anyway I'm not sure what I could be called politically but I think as long as I ain't hurting anybody else I should be able to do whatever the hell I want. Any less is tyranny.. Ok maybe not tyranny but I still don't have to like it.

Libertarians don't have a monopoly on the expansion of individual freedoms.

At the heart of libertarianism, is a sort of hyper-capitalism that not only focuses on deregulation of corporations, but privatization of nearly everything the government does. So, privately owned roads, security forces instead of police forces and fire departments etc. It bases its economy and regulation of the economy and the environment on the purchasing power of the consumer under the impression that the consumer will "choose" their values and regulations through who's products and services they consume.

-Rick
22-06-2015, 10:44 AM (This post was last modified: 22-06-2015 10:58 AM by epronovost.)
(22-06-2015 10:28 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(22-06-2015 10:13 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I think a lot of libertarian views are valid. I see no problem with maximizing individual freedom when ever possible. Example. Pot is not exactly legal here in Canada. Why the fuck not? Why do government have the right to tell me what I can smoke?

Libertarians don't have a monopoly on the expansion of individual freedoms.

At the heart of libertarianism, is a sort of hyper-capitalism that not only focuses on deregulation of corporations, but privatization of nearly everything the government does. So, privately owned roads, security forces instead of police forces and fire departments etc. It bases its economy and regulation of the economy and the environment on the purchasing power of the consumer under the impression that the consumer will "choose" their values and regulations through who's products and services they consume.

That's actually historically false. Libertarianism also has an extreme left wing. The most notable is probably the anarcho-syndicalism who want the abolition of the capitalist economy, but also the abolition of any form of central government. The common goal of all school libertarianism be it from left or right wing is to make the central government as small as possible or even abolish it. It makes no stance on economic structure per say. Of course, in USA the extreme right wing of libertarianism is much more popular and vocal then the left wing. In France for example, it's the other way around with anarcho-syndicalism being very popular and the extreme right wing almost absent. Libertarianism doesn't have a monopoly on the expansion of individual freedom, but all actions taken toward it will be with the support of libertarianism.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
22-06-2015, 10:51 AM
I don't like atheism +
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
22-06-2015, 10:56 AM
(22-06-2015 10:44 AM)epronovost Wrote:  
(22-06-2015 10:28 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Libertarians don't have a monopoly on the expansion of individual freedoms.

That's actually historically false. Libertarianism also has an extreme left wing. The most notable is probably the anarcho-syndicalism who want the abolition of the capitalist economy, but also the abolition of any form of central government. The common goal of all libertarianism be it from left or right wing is to make the central government as small as possible or even abolish it. It makes no stance on economic structure per say. Of course, in USA the extreme right wing of libertarianism is much more popular and vocal then the left wing. In France for example, it's the other way around with anarcho-syndicalism being very popular and the extreme right wing almost absent. Libertarianism doesn't have a monopoly on the expansion of individual freedom, but all actions taken toward it will be with the support of libertarianism.

"The common goal of all libertarianism be it from left or right wing is to make the central government as small as possible or even abolish it."

Which seems to be a rather childish solution to what is perceived as a problem (inefficient government). "It looks broken, let's just get rid of it instead of fixing it."

Might work on a small scale (a household could work like that where there is no central control), but a world (or a country or a state) where there is no central government, sounds like a world I wouldn't want to live in. Too many stupid and/or greedy people. It sounds, feudal.

-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post