Atheism Spirituality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2010, 03:28 AM
Atheism Spirituality
Do you think atheists can develop a form of "spirituality" ?

I define it as the positive psychological aspects and philosophies of theism.
But it is a vague term so feel free to come up with your own definition.

I personally found good ideas in Tao and Buddhism that can be applied outside the context of theism.

What do you think ?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2010, 06:10 AM

RE: Atheism Spirituality
Given that atheists have no common set of beliefs, I see no reason that atheism and spirituality are necessarily incompatible. Matter of fact, I have a sort of nebulous spirituality that postulates no anthropomorphic deity whatsoever, but I prefer not to give it a name because names are associated with categories and belief systems shared with others. I have no church, no congregation, I'm not seeking to convert anyone to that spirituality - my spirituality is my own.

Your mileage may vary.
Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2010, 08:51 AM
That's actually very well put.

Ambiguity in such respects seems to be a form of philosophical anarchy that gives freedom to the human mind.I enjoy the idea.

Thank you for your input.
22-10-2010, 03:34 PM
I may use the term spirituallity at times, but I see it as a state of being where one accepts and is in tune or harmony with oneself. This is they way that I see soul as described in the context of soul music. It is something that connects to your inner self.
22-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Personal spirituality for the select atheist is the only way I see.

I believe that certain people in their last moments earn the right (I say earn the right like; set up the circumstances) to exist as energy and that some people have been reincarnated. I also believe that there are certain things we can do while alive to affect the outcome of death, but it would be a funny day for all if some theist came here thinking that all atheists had my viewpoint Big Grin (should I get that one ready? *trollface.jpg*)

Jesus Jumping Christ on a traction engine wearing a kilt and eating a marmite sandwich!!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Once several years ago, I set to the task of inventing my own "religious" ideas that reconciled everything I understood about the universe and life and death, and factored in the ideas of astral projection, past-life regression, esp, ghosts, all that mumbo jumbo. What I came up with was a bizarre concept of all of time being contained in one instant, much like the entire story of a novel is contained in your hand when you pick up a book. The specific energy of our thoughts and ideas existed concurrently for eternity with all other thoughts and lives of those long dead and those yet to be born. The energy of one life is available to each other life if that life is in tune to recognize it.

Once I was done figuring all of this out, I immediately rejected it as bullshit. And I knew it was bullshit because I had just made it up to prove that I could. There was nothing concrete in it to "believe." It was wishful thinking and speculation at best.

Spiritual atheism? I say feh.
22-10-2010, 06:18 PM
(22-10-2010 05:48 PM)gamutman Wrote:  Once I was done figuring all of this out, I immediately rejected it as bullshit. And I knew it was bullshit because I had just made it up to prove that I could. There was nothing concrete in it to "believe." It was wishful thinking and speculation at best.

You missed your opportunity to create a religion and become both filthy rich and extremely hypocritical in one fell swoop. Of course you may not care about the hypocritical part when you are flying around the world in your own private jet. Tongue
23-10-2010, 12:10 AM
If all the wise were to pray on the less wise , we would go back to the dark ages....

Still , private jet ....mmhmhmhmhmh Smile Big Grin
01-11-2010, 11:04 AM

I don’t think atheist could be spiritual. Religions or Gods are created in the name of spirituality. Having something beyond this universe controlling everything and taking us beyond anything body and soul. I think someone believing in spirituality is thinking about a greater power in the universe. Some say it is having a connection between one’s body and soul. And we spend our entire lives looking for this special bond.
02-11-2010, 03:03 AM

(01-11-2010 11:04 AM)kinley Wrote:  I don’t think atheist could be spiritual. Religions or Gods are created in the name of spirituality. Having something beyond this universe controlling everything and taking us beyond anything body and soul. I think someone believing in spirituality is thinking about a greater power in the universe. Some say it is having a connection between one’s body and soul. And we spend our entire lives looking for this special bond.
Your argument is apparently based on equating spirituality with some sort of anthropomorphic "something that could be called god" (STCBCG), unless I'm misinterpreting your words. What I see in atheists is a great diversity of opinions and beliefs, usually combined with an unrelenting commitment to thinking things through, keeping an open mind, and understanding as much as possible, while rejecting dogmatic views. If someone takes a turn, in the process of thinking about things, toward some personal spirituality that doesn't involve any entity pulling the strings of a marionette universe, then I don't see any incompatibility with that person also being an atheist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Atheism in a Monarchy BrokenQuill92 14 617 25-06-2014 05:34 PM
Last Post: pablo628
  Nobody would be "good" anymore if the world turned to atheism? Pearl 22 672 06-03-2014 04:27 PM
Last Post: WillHopp
  gnostic atheism and god houseofcantor 1 231 07-08-2013 06:26 AM
Last Post: Chas
  Is spirituality a drug? VulcanLogic42 12 518 01-06-2013 02:48 AM
Last Post: Luminon
  Atheism 2.0 scientician 15 1,928 26-01-2012 04:39 PM
Last Post: kingschosen
  Spirituality -- what is it? Zatamon 7 521 05-09-2011 05:26 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan
Question Atheism - the term gaglamesh731 7 895 01-11-2010 11:07 AM
Last Post: kinley