Atheism Spirituality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2010, 03:09 PM

RE: Atheism Spirituality
(22-10-2010 05:14 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Personal spirituality for the select atheist is the only way I see.

I believe that certain people in their last moments earn the right (I say earn the right like; set up the circumstances) to exist as energy and that some people have been reincarnated. I also believe that there are certain things we can do while alive to affect the outcome of death, but it would be a funny day for all if some theist came here thinking that all atheists had my viewpoint Big Grin (should I get that one ready? *trollface.jpg*)

I'm sorry, but how does this at all correlate with not believing in God? What evidence do you have to back up this claim?

I'm with gamutman.
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2010, 05:49 AM
Guys(and gals) I think you're missing my point.
I don't mean spirituality as a part of theism but a form of thought.
Can we , as atheists , experience the same emotional pleasure in life as theists but without attaching the supernatural to it ? Can we combine this "meditation" let's call it with a life philosophy ?

SHORT VERSION
Can we make a medly of feeling good / being moral / philosophy ???
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2010, 06:43 AM
Sure, why couldn't we?
04-11-2010, 01:06 AM
Meditation is a method of relaxing the body and the mind. It is not a religious thing, it is a physical and psychological exercise. It is very relaxing and can help you quiet your mind and reduce the distracting thoughts that are caused by stresses and aggravations of life. Some religious people think that it is a religious phenomenon because of the peace that it creates in one's self. It does create a slow down of the part of the brain that is responsible for self awareness which gives some people the idea that they become one with the universe. What I have found that it quiets the mind and helps me to shed thoughts that are a result of peer pressure, advertizing, manipulation attempts and other outside influences and allow me to access the thoughts that are coming from myself. This is a good description of how an atheist can be spiritual. Being at peace with oneself is the deepest one can go and that is where you find happinness.

Most religion destroys this peace with oneself by calling you a sinner and saying that you must beg for forgiveness. That is not spirituality, that is manipulation, plain and simple.
04-11-2010, 04:17 AM
There was a man in Holland named Wim Hoff , who acomplished amazing things through meditation.
Funny thing is , it's backed up by 30 years of science.I even e-mailed him and if I understood correctly he is writing an open book.
Can't wait Big Grin
12-11-2010, 05:08 PM

I don't believe in a soul or spirit, so I don't think there is any spirituality. However, I think that you can achieve a kind of "spirituality" in different ways. Taking in a breathtaking view, smiling at your cat climbing on you and purring as you try to type, enjoying a delicious meal, being amazed at how stupid a creationist may be.
12-11-2010, 10:04 PM
(12-11-2010 05:08 PM)Steve Wrote:  I don't believe in a soul or spirit, so I don't think there is any spirituality. However, I think that you can achieve a kind of "spirituality" in different ways. Taking in a breathtaking view, smiling at your cat climbing on you and purring as you try to type, enjoying a delicious meal, being amazed at how stupid a creationist may be.

My cat just pats me on the shoulder and meows for attention.
If I ignore her she jumps on my back Big Grin
12-01-2011, 06:48 PM

(04-11-2010 01:06 AM)No J. Wrote:  Meditation is a method of relaxing the body and the mind. It is not a religious thing, it is a physical and psychological exercise. It is very relaxing and can help you quiet your mind and reduce the distracting thoughts that are caused by stresses and aggravations of life. Some religious people think that it is a religious phenomenon because of the peace that it creates in one's self. It does create a slow down of the part of the brain that is responsible for self awareness which gives some people the idea that they become one with the universe. What I have found that it quiets the mind and helps me to shed thoughts that are a result of peer pressure, advertizing, manipulation attempts and other outside influences and allow me to access the thoughts that are coming from myself. This is a good description of how an atheist can be spiritual. Being at peace with oneself is the deepest one can go and that is where you find happinness.

Most religion destroys this peace with oneself by calling you a sinner and saying that you must beg for forgiveness. That is not spirituality, that is manipulation, plain and simple.

Good post, and I agree. This thread makes me think of Sam Harris' book End of Faith, in which he touches the subject of his experience being "spiritual" and using meditation. People that have not carefully read his book call him a Buddhist etc. and he has made the point to clarify himself (not that he wasn't clear in the book, people are just morons).

If I were to come up with a belief of my spirituality, I would like to think that the Universe (and-more likely there are MULTIPLE universes, which we can not comprehend) is a giant ball of continuous energy, weaving in itself though a continuous loop of time. Perhaps there is some sort of "higher energy" (I will not use the term god, or "higher being") that has to do with the rules of physics or order of things, but it would be something far more complicated for us to understand and not something silly like a Biblical God that is obsessed with violence and reading our thoughts. If it is true that the Universe does not create waste, then perhaps when we die our "energy" gets recycled into some other form. Reincarnation? Perhaps, but if so it would be by chance, not because we have a soul that has to find a new home.

When I look back and what I just typed this is all just a bunch of Sci-Fi BS, but it's the best thing I could come up with. Big Grin
14-01-2011, 11:31 AM

There's one thing about my view that lies heavily on uncertainty. With that in mind, to answer the question of spirituality, I just don't know. There is a lot interesting information out there on energies, chakras, and other spiritual concepts that aren't necessarily in line with theism and are more based on knowing yourself. I think heaven/hell makes the least amount of sense, but who knows about being part of a total energy force which we return to, or becoming ghosts, or reincarnation. I just don't know. Part of me just thinks that when we're dead, it's all over and that's it, but I can't fully disprove every theory out there. Anyhow, I'd rather just wait and see instead of using my imagination to create an explanation because I can't handle a life of uncertainty.
14-01-2011, 07:09 PM
If an idea doesn't have verifiable evidence to support it, it is not a theory, it is just a belief. many ideas are fraudulantly sold as theories. Be skeptical of everything. Universal negatives cannot be proven false.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.