Atheism Spirituality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2011, 11:28 AM

RE: Atheism Spirituality
I think we are replacing one thing for another. If we are using positive psychology, we are replacing one false idea for another. I don't agree with Positive Psychology(PP), if that's your pitch.

IMO, PP is a false sense of being happy. Much like the idea of thinking there is a God and he watches over us and its his will that dictates our lives. We trick ourselves into thinking everything is fine, when in reality it is not. I see that happening allot during these times of hardship. And in the past I have used it to try and not feel bad about a break-up or job loss.. Telling myself, well its for the best, she wasn't right for me, I find someone else. Or the job wasn't meant for me, I will find something. Instead of looking at my faults and how to improve myself in those areas going forward.

Atheism, comes together with knowledge from a wide group of people sharing it with each other and the world. I don't think we as individuals can understand everything, but as a group, we can.
Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2011, 12:10 PM
I never said anything about self deceit.
Something like this :
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/thi...33063.html

I want a life philosophy that allows me to enjoy life without supernatural concepts that require blind faith.

Or more simply put : what extensions can we add to atheism ?
"Software extension, is a file containing programming that serves to extend the capabilities of or data available to a more basic program."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2011, 12:51 PM

Sorry, I misread what you were stating then.. And I agree that it is a skill to learn. And not what we are taught in the publics eye.. Ie, Buying the Newest and greatest Gadget will make you happy.

As for Atheist, I am pretty overall happy. I think its an individual thing, not something that works for me, will work for you, or anyone else. In the end I don't know if there is ONE thing that makes everyone happy for a sustained amount of time. If there is you might have found the cure to have world Peace Tongue
20-01-2011, 01:31 PM
LOL - give me my Nobel Prize , now !!!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2011, 11:01 AM

(03-11-2010 05:49 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Guys(and gals) I think you're missing my point.
I don't mean spirituality as a part of theism but a form of thought.
Can we , as atheists , experience the same emotional pleasure in life as theists but without attaching the supernatural to it ? Can we combine this "meditation" let's call it with a life philosophy ?

SHORT VERSION
Can we make a medly of feeling good / being moral / philosophy ???

We most definitely can. For example, I felt the same sense of bursting elation when I experienced personal acceptance as an atheist as I did at age nine when I was "saved" at the altar of a Baptist Church. I could cite many, many other such experiences relating to the natural world and not a supernatural one, but suffice it to say, these feelings and emotions are not the sole property of the theist. However, I think filing them under the heading of spirituality is using the same term for natural human emotions that the theists use when they attribute a supernatural source, so I don't much care for it.