Atheism VS. Agnosticism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2012, 07:12 PM
RE: Atheism VS. Agnosticism
(19-05-2012 07:10 PM)TrulyX Wrote:  
(19-05-2012 03:46 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Bucky is a cunning linguist.
I wonder if he raps for food???

I see you've met Bucky already. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2012, 07:34 PM (This post was last modified: 20-05-2012 06:51 AM by Ghost.)
Hey, Erxomai.

How is "fucked if I know" an entrenched position?

I'm Apositional Cool

Hey, BD.

I agree with a lot of what you said. Unfortunately, I agreed with it in my last post Cool

I accept that you say you are Agnostic about things. I accept that I say I am an Agnostic.

Theoretically, science can explain every natural phenomenon in the universe. But I agree, the clock is ticking and the past is obscured.

Quote:As to the examples you gave about gravity etc, we may not know everything there is to know about them, but that does not mean it is unknowable.

Er... do you think I don't think gravity is unknowable? Cuz if you do, I'm really confused.

Quote:I am not an agnostic realist because reality is known, there may be aspects of it that are unknowns, but that does not be they are unknowable, just that they are currently unknown.

Absolutely. But the unknown and unknowable are, for me, the heart of Agnosticism. We don't pretend those things are certain precisely because they're unknown.

Quote:Your example of a hockey player is not a very good one.

But, but, hockey is perfect Weeping

Quote:If someone were to ask me who I was, I would not use a single term to describe myself, and a hockey player is the same still... some aspects of yourself may be mysterious, even to yourself).

I agree. I wasn't using it to suggest that I'm a one dimensional caricature, I was just using it to illustrate what I meant about Agnosticism being a behaviour rather than a position.

As for the mystery to myself thing, check out Johari window.

Quote:Building off of the closing point of my first paragraph with regards to gravity, we may not know everything about gravity but we know enough to use it as a predictive tool.

Like I mentioned before, demonstration isn't an all or nothing thing. We very well might not know everything about gravity. I remember some string theorists talking about how it might be way more powerful a force when you get into the 11 dimensions but quantum theorist I am not. But what we do know, we know. Those bits have been demonstrated.

Quote:The claim that a god exists should have predictive power if true, but that claim has never provided a prediction that was true.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh, not so much. But that debate was an entire other thread Cool

Quote:Anyone can make a prediction about gravity and test it right now, predict what will happen when you drop a ball and then try it out.

Yes. It's demonstrable. That's why I believe it.

Quote:The reason why I commonly use only the term atheist instead of agnostic atheist is due in large part to the fact that atheism is the rejection of the god claim. I don't define myself based off of what I don't believe.

Yeah, I've long felt that there needs to be categories of Atheists, just as there are categories of Theists, so we can tell what they are rather than what they ain't. I started a thread about it a while back and people reacted... negatively. My favourite response was that it would be like herding cats lol.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
19-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Hey Ghost, I wasn't pointing fingers at anyone in particular.

But now I am. Laughat

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
19-05-2012, 07:53 PM
(19-05-2012 06:34 PM)kim Wrote:  
(19-05-2012 03:46 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Bucky is a cunning linguist.
Yea... I saw that... I saw what you did there. Blink

Consider
I might kill you last.
Et tu, Kimmies? That line was old when Erx was inventing the drum... Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post