Atheism? You'll grow out of it.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2010, 09:44 AM
RE: Atheism? You'll grow out of it.
(09-03-2010 09:31 AM)shiranl Wrote:  well, because we are living in a world where most people do believe in god. from some reason, some of the people who don't believe still admire and have an aprishiation to the ones who believe in god (in Israel, the website "hofesh" gave a name to this phenomenon-"the secular but"). Atheism is still consider as something not normal, out of conscensus. everything that out of conscensus, not normal, even bad is consider by the adults as an act of rebolution if it's done by teanagers....

I heard this clame handreds of times. at first it anonyed me- after all its a show of disrespect to my belief because of a factor which has nothing to do with the belief such as my age.
But then I understood- the belivers or the "secular but" need something, need a clame, even if it has nothing to do with the subject, to be sure they are right. the world isn't changing. the world isn't going to be upsite-down in a moment. it's a process to atheism (I'm sure nobody here accepted the atheism in a night) and a clame such as "you'r too young" is easy, convinient and safe-nobody will dare to disagree with you.

This.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2010, 06:25 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2010 06:28 PM by ashley.hunt60.)
Still a good question, regardless of the asker.

Someone who thinks that because they are older that they have more wisdom, and thus their belief in god is validated? Sounds mildly familiar....

It's true that most liberals/atheists tend to be younger. I think the main causes is the science community growing stronger(New discoveries) and the religious community growing weaker.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
09-03-2010, 07:50 PM

Come to think of it, it may also be the indoctrination that the older generation went through as children, abandoned as adolescents, and rediscover later on to make death 'easier'.

I personally don't think I'll go through a 'rediscovery' period when I'm older because I have already decided it is this life and this life alone that I have...no afterlife awaits me.
Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2010, 09:52 PM

I'm a psych minor, and I'm taking a course on the pursuit of happiness (fun, right?). At any rate, I am on spring break and don't have the name of the books we are reading to post here now, though I can edit it later. We've ended up learning more about how humans think and how the way we think doesn't always make sense more than we have learned about happiness, in my opinion.

Basically, people tend to think that the way they think now is the way they have always thought (or at least, that they have thought this way for longer than they actually have), and that they will continue to feel this way in the future. Turns out, we're usually wrong.

So while I'm not saying each and every one of us will suddenly develop a fear of death as we get old and convert, it's pretty much impossible to predict right now. No matter how strong you feel in your conviction that what you believe is right and that you will always think that way, life happens, and we tend to change in ways that we never thought we would.

Will I revert back to how I was raised, as a Protestant Christian? Right now, I don't think I will. Though to be perfectly honest, most of what I now believe about how to live or my sense of right and wrong is strongly based on my Protestant upbringing, and during times of panic or when I needed to calm myself, I have silently prayed, addressing it to "God." Does that mean I suddenly decide God is real because I need him? Nope; my prayer is just me reaching inwardly for strength in a familiar way that I was taught to as a child.

So when you get old, it could be like that. If you were never religious, you're probably not very likely to start picking up religion, or at least not as likely as someone who was raised to be religious. My point is that just praying to "God" doesn't mean that you've suddenly converted; you could just be scared and searching for strength.

**Edit: That book I was referring to, if anyone is curious, was: The Science of Subjective Well-Being by Michael Eid and Randy J. Larsen (copywright 2008)
10-03-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:Will I revert back to how I was raised, as a Protestant Christian? Right now, I don't think I will. Though to be perfectly honest, most of what I now believe about how to live or my sense of right and wrong is strongly based on my Protestant upbringing, and during times of panic or when I needed to calm myself, I have silently prayed, addressing it to "God." Does that mean I suddenly decide God is real because I need him? Nope; my prayer is just me reaching inwardly for strength in a familiar way that I was taught to as a child.

Thanks for the post, serabeth. It may very well be true that as we get closer to the end of our own mortality, we may all start searching for 'belief' in something to comfort us. But, there are some points I want to make here:

1. First off, your quote above, specifically "...my prayer is just me reaching inwardly for strength in a familiar way that I was taught to as a child" seem to hit on what I believe prayer may actually be good for. See, prayer in my opinion is not a plea to an external force (god) but rather may be to our own internal psyche. For example, think of a time when you were really stressed out about a situation and, from all the commotion in your life at that time, it didn't look like a solution was in sight for your situation. Now think about it, what did you do? Did you take a long walk to think about the situation? Did you write a lot in a journal? Did you talk with friends?

I'm not knocking your statement (please don't take this as an attack). What I'm trying to say is that I think ANY of us faced with stress need to simply take a step back, concentrate on the reason for our stress, and a solution will present itself. Isn't this the way that prayer works?

2. I don't think I'll be praying to god when I get closer to the end of my life. The reason? I think that if you are satisfied with your life up until that point, death should not be feared. If you don't fear death, then you don't need god. I'm not a support of Pascal's Wager, either, so I won't be praying 'just in case'.

I have kids. My satisfaction in life is seeing them grow up, get educated, become useful to the society around them. My satisfaction in life is also being the best person I can be, to my family, to my friends, to people I meet only once in life. To learn everything I can about the world around me, to be satisfied with the answer to my question "why am I here"?

Richard Dawkins put it best in the following quote, which always seems to bring a tear to my eye. It is from his book "Unweaving the Rainbow":

"We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Sahara. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively outnumbers the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here."
10-03-2010, 08:04 PM

I may have gotten a little "less liberal" as I've gotten older, but I've gotten even farther away from religion. I never went to college as a post-teen so I wasn't indoctrinated; I came by my lack of belief the hard way -- I opened up my mind and used my brain.
10-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Welcome to the forums, Platypus Man!

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-03-2010, 08:08 PM

Thank you kindly. Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  One question that completely refutes atheism diddo97 101 1,780 Today 05:14 AM
Last Post: Rumraket
  Approaching the Atheism/Theism convo w. someone smileXsmileXsmile 8 200 Yesterday 11:54 AM
Last Post: goodwithoutgod
  How Far can You Stretch Atheism? Mr. Slave 4 132 16-07-2014 11:33 AM
Last Post: Mr. Slave
  Atheism and the Conversion Factors 5senses 47 1,737 15-07-2014 10:40 AM
Last Post: goodwithoutgod
  Is atheism in Sweden declining Jazki21 1 128 27-06-2014 10:10 AM
Last Post: DLJ
  Atheism in middle east Jazki21 8 136 26-06-2014 11:49 PM
Last Post: PoolBoyG
  Is agnostic atheism a default position or conclusion? Momsurroundedbyboys 32 423 24-06-2014 05:47 AM
Last Post: RobbyPants