Atheism : a Conspiracy Theory ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2012, 02:29 PM
RE: Atheism : a Conspiracy Theory ?
(04-11-2012 12:12 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 08:39 AM)Idlecuriosity Wrote:  I don't believe I ever accused anyone directly of not thinking critically. In fact I'm counting on it being the case. That's why I chose to post here rather than on a CT believers forum. I've also clearly said that my interest in CT's is mainly for entertainment purposes, although some of it gets me thinking (critically) further. I don't mind a bit of hostility; although I don't quite understand the reason for it as I've tried to be very careful with my choice of words. I'll take the blame for not expressing my point more adeptly.

I'm certainly not claiming that Atheism is a conspiracy, that would be a bad interpretation of what I actually wrote.
If the founding basis for Catholicism is false, ie. god does not exist, how can the religion be anything other than a conspiracy ?

I don't want to get bogged down in semantics, just trying to clarify what I'm saying as it seems to have confused some, or struck a nerve with others.

Well maybe it could be understood if you explain why you think there are people here who are opposed to thinking critically on conspiracy like subjects?

When I first started reading these threads I was suprised by the level of hostility that was aimed as some of the posts / posters (I'm thinking specifically the 9/11 truthers are crazy thread). I'm not saying I believe in the 9/11 CT's, I was just expecting a different level of debate on a discussion forum aimed at open-minded people, within a sub-section specifically provided for discussing that kind of topic. Could be that I misinterpreted, but it didn't feel like it, and still doesn't given some of the responses to my own contribution.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-03-2013, 10:46 AM
(02-11-2012 05:05 PM)Idlecuriosity Wrote:  I'm not sure if this has already been covered, but it seems like an obvious question so I'll go ahead and make it my first post [aknowledges polite ripple of applause and several respectful head nods...]. I've been reading a bit about Conspiracy Theories recently, mostly for the entertainment value, but some of it does make me sit back and scratch my chin for a while. Anyway, I began to wonder if believing in any of that stuff could be compatible with a clear cut atheist opinion, so came here to see what others thought. I have to admit to being a little surprised by what appears to be a majority reaction of off-handed dismissal, or downright condemnation, of any ideas that don't match the "official" explanation.

We (if you'll allow me that collective familiarity) believe that [picks one at random], the Roman Catholic Church for example, is an organisation based on complete falsehoods, conceived to manipulate and control the majority of the population in order to forward a particular agenda. This has involved thousands of people, over many hundreds of years, to the extent that millions now unquestioningly accept, even welcome, the lies and manipulations of this organisation. The vast majority would consider this organisation to be a force for good, even though there is a huge quantity of factual evidence to the contrary. So, given that we don't adhere to this mainstream view, as Atheists we are clearly in the Conspiracy Theorist's camp with regards to the Roman Catholic Church.

Why then is it so difficult to apply the same logic, or open minded investigation of a question, when it relates to some of the other Conspiracy Theories ?

Just for the record, here's my current position on some of the principal CT's :
JFK. - Quite possibly shot by his driver
9/11. - Lots of unanswered questions...
NWO. - Would explain a lot of what seems not right in the way the world is headed
Reptilians. - I dont think so !

My position on any of the above is open to modification as I consider further information.

So, any thoughts ?
This is an interesting question. My feeling is that the Catholic religion can not be considered a conspiracy. I think that what probably happened is that there was some degree of truth to the Christ legend. Just as George Washington was a real person, but probably didn't cut down the cherry tree, Jesus might have been real or may be a composite of people who were. So he or they would have been the basis of a legend. That legend would have spawned believers and those believers were the basis of the church.
18-03-2013, 11:39 AM
(04-11-2012 02:29 PM)Idlecuriosity Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 12:12 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Well maybe it could be understood if you explain why you think there are people here who are opposed to thinking critically on conspiracy like subjects?
When I first started reading these threads I was suprised by the level of hostility that was aimed as some of the posts / posters (I'm thinking specifically the 9/11 truthers are crazy thread). I'm not saying I believe in the 9/11 CT's, I was just expecting a different level of debate on a discussion forum aimed at open-minded people, within a sub-section specifically provided for discussing that kind of topic. Could be that I misinterpreted, but it didn't feel like it, and still doesn't given some of the responses to my own contribution.
I think the main problem that I have with your definition is whether there is some secret intent behind the conspirators. Not necessarily just that they have some motivated goal. Like the fervent belief that their ideology will improve others lives but that they must have a secret motivation behind that ideology. For example, if the 9/11 hijackers had broadcasted to the world weeks in advance that they were planning on flying planes into the twin towers and the pentagon. Then it would not count as a conspiracy that they flew planes into the twin towers and the pentagon. Though it would point to other problems, Mainly our ineptness at stopping obvious terrorist attacks but I digress.

The things that we find issues with the catholic church aren't usually held in secrecy( except of course Child Rape). I've heard of no claim to secretly take over the world with some malevolent agenda. They have been pretty open with their views regarding how they want the the world to work.
Same can be said about other religions.

Just an outsider looking inn.
07-04-2013, 03:43 AM
C'mon guys, lets admit it... we're the NWO! Big Grin Alex Jones somewhere whined that religious people are being outcasted.

Joke aside, I never understood why some people would reject god, yet then fall for some bad shit crazy substitute? Instead of god we got the NWO (with the only difference that they are supposedly bad guys), talking snakes are replaced with some reptiles and oh yeah, the 2nd coming will be some UFO's taking a selected group of fans in their flying saucer while the earth will fall apart. No matter what new age crap, conspiracy and any other bs, I see the same old story lines all over again. And I'm really stunned to find people "believing" in such things on an atheist forums. No wonder the religious keep saying that people must believe in something and that all the stuff mentioned above is just god in disguise.

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-04-2013, 06:09 AM
I find it takes more faith to believe conspiracies, considering the likelihood of their being truth is already low and that the 'evidence' many of them provide is simply circumstantial, coincidental, or pure speculation.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
07-04-2013, 07:14 AM
(02-11-2012 07:22 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(02-11-2012 05:05 PM)Idlecuriosity Wrote:  So, any thoughts ?

Oh great. Another one.
Can't we put these people in a special rubber room ?

You moved into the last available room, remember?. Drinking Beverage

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Conspiracy theories that have come true. Metazoa Zeke 20 404 30-06-2014 12:58 PM
Last Post: dancefortwo
  Church conspiracy theories. BlackMason 4 152 04-05-2014 11:44 AM
Last Post: BlackMason
  What the hell is wrong with Bill Maher? (Germ Theory Denialism) Paleo 30 5,635 28-04-2014 02:35 PM
Last Post: Minimalist
  MH 370 Conspiracy Theories Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver 9 586 24-04-2014 11:26 PM
Last Post: Drunkin Druid
  Found a bat shit crazy conspiracy theory website ... TheLogicalAthiest 6 252 24-03-2014 04:38 PM
Last Post: Chas
  What's the craziest conspiracy theory you can come up with? Tartarus Sauce 85 2,681 17-03-2014 10:28 AM
Last Post: Just Another Atheist
  Conspiracy Theory With Jesse Ventura Punk Pumpkin 18 496 09-03-2014 09:36 AM
Last Post: Revenant77x