Atheism a Religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-09-2017, 07:14 AM
RE: Atheism a Religion?
Let's see, you were discussing the recent death of a family member and a hope for something in the "hereafter", so how is religion or lack of religion not relevant to the topic...? I mean death doesn't have to involve religion, but a "hereafter" does. I think it's perfectly appropriate to let someone know in that discussion what your position is. That person just needs to chill.

Also, I don't see what's wrong with bringing up religion in itself. What matters is how it's brought up and what's said. Discussing is fine. Pushing a religion is not.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
28-09-2017, 09:12 AM
(28-09-2017 12:51 AM)Tallulah Wrote:  Well, I offended someone close with the preface 'I'm an atheist'. This really got his hackles up because that remark, in his opinion, was like anyone else bringing up their 'religion'.

I don’t know how to handle this. I'm openly atheist whenever and wherever in order to unstigmatize the word atheist.

If you want to unstigmatize the word, you'll meet people quick to feel offended just for hearing you say it, even when used in a relevant context.
All you can do is patiently try to clarify what you mean and hope the other person is bothering to listen.

And no, atheism is not a religion.

"Throughout history, every mystery, ever solved, has turned out to be; Not magic."
[+] 1 user Likes M. Linoge's post
28-09-2017, 09:35 AM
Atheism a Religion?
(28-09-2017 09:12 AM)M. Linoge Wrote:  If you want to unstigmatize the word, you'll meet people quick to feel offended just for hearing you say it, even when used in a relevant context.

It's a psychological defense mechanism. To many people, saying "I'm an atheist..." sounds at lot like "Everything you hold most sacred is a pious fiction at best, a pack of lies at worst." Getting offended is far easier than sitting down for a calm and reasonable chat about whether you've been living a lie.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like D4M10N's post
28-09-2017, 09:50 AM
(28-09-2017 09:35 AM)D4M10N Wrote:  It's a psychological defense mechanism. To many people, saying "I'm an atheist..." sounds at lot like "Everything you hold most sacred is a pious fiction at best, a pack of lies at worst."

What other people read into words and take offence at is really none of my concern when the words are only offensive in their own mind. I will - and do - apologise for any offence I might have caused, wittingly or unwittingly. I will *not* apologise for somebody else's insecurities and twisted views of the world.

[Image: U26Sl.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
28-09-2017, 09:54 AM
People who jump on atheists using terms that might be construed as being religious in nature are just looking for a nit to pick. That sort of person is fun to fuck with. Evil_monster
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
28-09-2017, 09:55 AM
(28-09-2017 12:51 AM)Tallulah Wrote:  I did something incredibly stupid. I prefaced a statement I made (concerning the recent death of a close family member) with 'I'm an atheist but....' and then I went on to express hope of something in the 'hereafter'.

Well, I offended someone close with the preface 'I'm an atheist'. This really got his hackles up because that remark, in his opinion, was like anyone else bringing up their 'religion'.

I don’t know how to handle this. I'm openly atheist whenever and wherever in order to unstigmatize the word atheist.

I need to explain the situation better but I want to get this out here now cuz I really need to know how to handle this. This is a real problem for me.

Also, am I posting this is the right spot? I just want to get as many responses as possible.

Thanks....

You certainly don't have to be a dick to believers in their time of mourning when face to face in the moment. But, at the same time you don't need to coddle their fantasies.

I would simply nod and hug and comfort, but I wouldn't say even "I hope there is something after".

Knowing that the universe has an estimated 2 trillion galaxies in it, knowing that each galaxy has hundreds of billions of stars in them, knowing that our planet is 4 billion years old, knowing the universe is 13.8 billion years old, the idea that all that was put here for humans is a patently absurd notion to me.

I do not fear an afterlife. I don't fear missing a fictional reward or fictional punishment in an afterlife. Just like you don't fear what life was 4 billion years ago when you did not exist. Just like you don't fear the punishment of a cockroach after it dies.

Having said that, when in the direct face to face moment, just let them talk, you don't have to add anything to it, just be empathetic with "I am sorry for your loss" and leave it at that.

I will say this though, there is a double standard, and I faced that when I watched my mom die and after her death. Even though, this time, it was my loved one, I couldn't comment as an atheist.

I had to endure comments like , "She's with God now. She's in a better place." I hated having to keep my mouth shut. This time it was my loss.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
28-09-2017, 10:27 AM
(28-09-2017 04:05 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Here it's the opposite. You mention you're a Christian or whatever and everyone rolls their eyes and tunes out.
Aint no one give a fuck about religion here and aint no one wanna hear about it either. It's great.

If there's a heaven, its populated by kiwis.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
28-09-2017, 01:41 PM
(28-09-2017 12:51 AM)Tallulah Wrote:  I did something incredibly stupid. I prefaced a statement I made (concerning the recent death of a close family member) with 'I'm an atheist but....' and then I went on to express hope of something in the 'hereafter'.

Well, I offended someone close with the preface 'I'm an atheist'. This really got his hackles up because that remark, in his opinion, was like anyone else bringing up their 'religion'.

I need to explain the situation better but I want to get this out here now cuz I really need to know how to handle this. This is a real problem for me.

Also, am I posting this is the right spot? I just want to get as many responses as possible.

Thanks....

Stick to your guns. You do not have to be abrasive about it, but don't be bullied. Simply say, I am what I am, and that is all there is to it. Sorry if you don't agree.

You do not have to justify yourself to angry people. If this is somebody you cannot avoid, say a co-worker, simply put that subject, your religious beliefs or lack thereof, off topic. Politely. You don't have to be militant about your atheism if that is not your style.
But let it be known you will not tolerate personal attacks because of you belief. Live and let live and be civil.

And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter
- Thomas Jefferson

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
28-09-2017, 08:00 PM
You can be an Atheist and still have delusional hopes for an after life. I would like to hope that the rational part of your brain would win over a delusion, but sometimes our brains don't work as well as we would like.

I still want that gold pot at the end of the rainbow, but the skeptic in me won't allow me to waste my time trying to drive toward what I think is the end of a rainbow.

I've had people I love die and frankly if there is an after life, I hope they are enjoying it. I don't believe there is one. I don't believe there is such a thing as a soul or a spirit, but as Hitchen's once said "I love surprises"

Smile

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
29-09-2017, 03:29 AM
I still don't understand how Atheism is offensive to people, I mean unless you're rubbing it in their faces and running into churches with science text books.

It's like saying a cannibal is offended by my lack of eating other people. Just because one person finds something to be acceptable doesn't mean others will. Religion doesn't offend me, and when people talk about their relevant god...I honestly don't really care. It's only when you get spoken to like an idiot or certain people just act like there are no alternatives is when I get pissed off.

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post