Atheism a Religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-09-2017, 03:39 AM
RE: Atheism a Religion?
(29-09-2017 03:29 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  I still don't understand how Atheism is offensive to people, I mean unless you're rubbing it in their faces and running into churches with science text books.

Next time there is an asset bubble, say house prices or stock prices are rocketing skywards, tell people that it's unsustainable and no it isn't different this time, same as it wasn't different for all the other bubbles in history.

You will offend a lot of people who are just as emotionally invested as the religious zealots and who don't want to face up to the fact the party won't last forever because that would mean that they are in quite a precarious financial situation and their success was not down to any skill on their part.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Mathilda's post
29-09-2017, 03:52 AM
(29-09-2017 03:39 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(29-09-2017 03:29 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  I still don't understand how Atheism is offensive to people, I mean unless you're rubbing it in their faces and running into churches with science text books.

Next time there is an asset bubble, say house prices or stock prices are rocketing skywards, tell people that it's unsustainable and no it isn't different this time, same as it wasn't different for all the other bubbles in history.

You will offend a lot of people who are just as emotionally invested as the religious zealots and who don't want to face up to the fact the party won't last forever because that would mean that they are in quite a precarious financial situation and their success was not down to any skill on their part.
We have a saying , where I'm from, for people like that: "get fucked"

"I'm offended!" they shout. "Go fuck yourself", says I. Laugh out load

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
29-09-2017, 04:43 AM
(29-09-2017 03:39 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Next time there is an asset bubble, say house prices or stock prices are rocketing skywards, tell people that it's unsustainable and no it isn't different this time, same as it wasn't different for all the other bubbles in history.

Similarly, that's how many people react to climate change science in the U.S.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
29-09-2017, 05:30 AM
(28-09-2017 02:18 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  PS Telling people you are an atheist is only stupid if you think it will result in personal harm.

Thank you, SD. I'm not new to atheism I'm just 'new' to dealing with having someone close to me flip out.

It was my father-in-law who is also an atheist although I don't think he realizes it. He very recently lost his wife (my husband's mom). She was 89. He is 88.

I called him yesterday and we talked for over an hour. Fortunately, the dust has settled and crisis is over.

He said to me that when I prefaced my comment, "I'm an atheist but I really hope that mom is with her daughter now", he was only pissed off about me saying I'm an atheist. He thought it was equivalent to people just automatically blurting out that they're Catholic, etc. for no particular reason. I explained to him that, with regard to my comment, explaining my atheism WAS relevant and went on to tell him more about my involvement with the atheist communities. So, he's okay now.

The thing is is that I was appalled at what I wrote!!! Not the atheist part but the rest of it. There was a woman (Betty) at the funeral home who said to my husband and me, "She's with Sara now." We both wanted to punch her in the throat. And THEN I get on FB later and say the same thing???!!!!! I asked myself WHY TF would I do that??? And then it occurred to me. It's because I so wish it were true. (Sara died tragically decades ago. VERY tragically.)

Betty and her husband came all the way from CA to come to Mom's funeral. Years ago they had stopped speaking to my in-laws because my FIL expressed his disbelief (or anger) in God after what happened to Sara. Betty and John are extremely religious and took offense, OFFENSE to what FIL said. Subsequently, they reconciled but I was still disgusted with these people and even though they flew on their donkey at godspeed to make it to the funeral I still wanted to punch their lights out.

Tallulah
[+] 2 users Like Tallulah's post
29-09-2017, 06:57 AM
Also, apologies for a minor "de-rail" here but your username is making me think of this song....I'm a huge fan of Jamiroquai, and this is one of my favourite songs of his Big Grin

Feel free to continue now Laugh out load

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
29-09-2017, 07:31 AM
Simple, really. "Christians" lie about being Christians, and other Christians go along with it because that's what you're supposed to do. When they are confronted with people who don't play that game it causes distress and discomfort, because they have to face up to the lie of their lives.
[+] 4 users Like Gawdzilla's post
29-09-2017, 07:44 AM

It's like saying a cannibal is offended by my lack of eating other people. Just because one person finds something to be acceptable doesn't mean others will. Religion doesn't offend me, and when people talk about their relevant god...I honestly don't really care. It's only when you get spoken to like an idiot or certain people just act like there are no alternatives is when I get pissed off.

> Perhaps it's because they see in a confident, intelligent atheist the personification of all their doubts and fears regarding their own religious beliefs. Consider
[+] 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post
29-09-2017, 03:08 PM
Religion -- especially, but not limited to, fundamentalist varieties -- is a house of cards held up by a mutually shared fiction, which in turn is supported by strong taboos against "unbelief" and "blasphemy". Simply mentioning that you don't believe is enough to set them off because it's a slap in the face to them -- an implicit "I'm on to you" and "I see through your comforting lies".

Last weekend some guys I play cards with mentioned that a family was attending a christening or funeral or some such down in Mexico during the earthquake and eleven of those family members were killed when the structure they were doing this ritual in collapsed on them.

I responded, sadly, words to the effect "so much for the notion that god blesses the righteous and confounds the wicked." One of the guys had a very visceral response to this, thought it was terribly cruel of me to "make fun of those people". When in fact what I was doing was empathizing with them and objecting to what happened to them. I wasn't even making fun of god.

But this is illustrative of the knee-jerk reactions to any sort of pushback against this shared fantasy we're all supposed to engage in or, failing that, to at least not say anything contrary to it.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
30-09-2017, 08:17 AM
(29-09-2017 07:31 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
Simple, really. "Christians" lie about being Christians, and other Christians go along with it because that's what you're supposed to do. When they are confronted with people who don't play that game it causes distress and discomfort, because they have to face up to the lie of their lives.

Of course! That's brilliant!

Yeah, the ones who get really offended are the ones who know nothing about their religion other than how to go through the motions.
30-09-2017, 08:36 AM
(29-09-2017 03:08 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(29-09-2017 03:29 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  I still don't understand how atheism is offensive to people, I mean unless you're rubbing it in their faces and running into churches with science text books.
Religion -- especially, but not limited to, fundamentalist varieties -- is a house of cards held up by a mutually shared fiction, which in turn is supported by strong taboos against "unbelief" and "blasphemy". Simply mentioning that you don't believe is enough to set them off because it's a slap in the face to them -- an implicit "I'm on to you" and "I see through your comforting lies".

Last weekend some guys I play cards with mentioned that a family was attending a christening or funeral or some such down in Mexico during the earthquake and eleven of those family members were killed when the structure they were doing this ritual in collapsed on them.

I responded, sadly, words to the effect "so much for the notion that god blesses the righteous and confounds the wicked." One of the guys had a very visceral response to this, thought it was terribly cruel of me to "make fun of those people". When in fact what I was doing was empathizing with them and objecting to what happened to them. I wasn't even making fun of god.

But this is illustrative of the knee-jerk reactions to any sort of pushback against this shared fantasy we're all supposed to engage in or, failing that, to at least not say anything contrary to it.

Amazing how some people just LOOK for things to be offended about. Your comment was spot on and was nothing but compassionate.

Yes, people DO have knee-jerk reactions when they hear the word 'atheist'. It's the conditioning from that era I suppose. My own father just about blew a gasket when I said the 'A' word in front of my religious stepmom. Let the 'F' bombs blast with wild abandon but GODFORFUCKINGBID I say 'atheist'. LOL

I want to be able to say 'atheist' freely. It's NOT a four letter word, fercryinoutloud. But people take it as a personal affront, as a direct attack on their religion. They really ought not flatter themselves. It's not about them at all.
[+] 2 users Like Tallulah's post