Atheism a Religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2017, 09:40 AM
RE: Atheism a Religion?
(28-09-2017 12:51 AM)Tallulah Wrote:  I did something incredibly stupid. I prefaced a statement I made (concerning the recent death of a close family member) with 'I'm an atheist but....'

I have always taken issue with the word 'but'. Not to get too lofty in this response, in recent weeks I have been asking myself the question(s) What is religion, what is a church? I can't help but wonder if you would have said 'I don't believe in life after death but...' or 'I don't believe in the supernatural'. Would these statements have received the same backlash? I doubt it.

As many have already said, Atheism is not a belief system it is the lack of belief in the supernatural based on available evidence.

Rob Truman, USN Ret.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like robtruman's post
30-09-2017, 09:41 AM
(30-09-2017 08:17 AM)Tallulah Wrote:  
(29-09-2017 07:31 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Simple, really. "Christians" lie about being Christians, and other Christians go along with it because that's what you're supposed to do. When they are confronted with people who don't play that game it causes distress and discomfort, because they have to face up to the lie of their lives.

Of course! That's brilliant!

Yeah, the ones who get really offended are the ones who know nothing about their religion other than how to go through the motions.

I would say that atheism offends those who are insecure and/or those who were brainwashed to see atheists as monsters bereft of god's grace.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
30-09-2017, 01:33 PM
(30-09-2017 09:40 AM)robtruman Wrote:  
(28-09-2017 12:51 AM)Tallulah Wrote:  I did something incredibly stupid. I prefaced a statement I made (concerning the recent death of a close family member) with 'I'm an atheist but....'

I have always taken issue with the word 'but'. Not to get too lofty in this response, in recent weeks I have been asking myself the question(s) What is religion, what is a church? I can't help but wonder if you would have said 'I don't believe in life after death but...' or 'I don't believe in the supernatural'. Would these statements have received the same backlash? I doubt it.
Yes and no ... I think the word "atheist" is more of a red flag in waved in front of a bull and I would have used the alternative phrases mentioned above, too. But as my story about how my remarks about the eleven dead in Mexico points out, even avoiding this "trigger word" is sometimes not sufficient. Online and IRL I have seen time again that simple disagreement tends to be taken as an existential threat by the very religious, because they confuse their beliefs with their own identity. Attack the belief, you attack the identity, and their very right to exist. It's very symbolic and primal.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
30-09-2017, 01:45 PM
atheism is a religion... just like abstinence is a sex position Drinking Beverage

The more one asserts their own unquestioned preconceived beliefs, the more demanding I will be for empirical evidence for I will accept nothing else in place of it
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post
30-09-2017, 02:29 PM
(30-09-2017 08:17 AM)Tallulah Wrote:  
(29-09-2017 07:31 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Simple, really. "Christians" lie about being Christians, and other Christians go along with it because that's what you're supposed to do. When they are confronted with people who don't play that game it causes distress and discomfort, because they have to face up to the lie of their lives.

Of course! That's brilliant!

Yeah, the ones who get really offended are the ones who know nothing about their religion other than how to go through the motions.

You mean 98% of them. Drinking Beverage
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
30-09-2017, 02:31 PM
(30-09-2017 09:41 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(30-09-2017 08:17 AM)Tallulah Wrote:  Of course! That's brilliant!

I would say that atheism offends those who are insecure and/or those who were brainwashed to see atheists as monsters bereft of god's grace.

They know "monsters" are real but they don't really believe in gods. Interesting situation for them. My SoBap cousins don't want me around their kids. Fun thing is, this make the kids more curious about what I have to say. I'm subverting a generation.
[+] 5 users Like Gawdzilla's post
03-10-2017, 04:52 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2017 05:00 AM by Tallulah.)
Thank you for all of your great responses.

This would've never been an issue for me had it not been my father-in-law. He's alone now and we're all he's got. I did manage to make peace without compromising my integrity. The difficult part was being put in a position to explain myself. I generally don't capitulate to that form of abuse but things needed clarifying and, fortunately, FIL was open minded enough to hear me out.

Atheists are such incredible philosophers. It's a shame that as children we're thrown into a vat of religiosity rather than philosophy. As Hitch said, "Religion is fossilized philosophy." My FIL was raised Catholic as was my husband. They're both atheists now.

A few months ago I came across a well written article regarding the uprise of atheism. The author was spot on about everything except where he referred to atheism as a religion. I commented to set him straight. But this will not be the last of atheism being described as a religion. Well, ya can't educate idiots. Nevertheless, I'll keep trying.

Tallulah
[+] 2 users Like Tallulah's post
03-10-2017, 04:55 AM
Some people require eveyone to have a religion because otherwise their own religion might be seen it its true light, just a belief without support. If everyone has one then it's a natural state of humans.
[+] 5 users Like Gawdzilla's post
03-10-2017, 05:52 AM
(03-10-2017 04:52 AM)Tallulah Wrote:  Atheists are such incredible philosophers.

Some of them certainly are.

Quote:It's a shame that as children we're thrown into a vat of religiosity rather than philosophy.

It's a shame that children are indoctrinated, that's true, but philosophy could wait I would say. No need for Heidegger, Horkheimer or Kant since early childhood. There are schools for it.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
03-10-2017, 06:40 AM
(03-10-2017 04:52 AM)Tallulah Wrote:  A few months ago I came across a well written article regarding the uprise of atheism. The author was spot on about everything except where he referred to atheism as a religion. I commented to set him straight. But this will not be the last of atheism being described as a religion. Well, ya can't educate idiots. Nevertheless, I'll keep trying.
People who are accustomed to "needing" to "follow" some leader or ideology or belief-system simply can't get their minds around the notion that people could lack that "need" and can be curious and open to whatever reality offers up. They have been told all their lives that our way lies madness.

In their struggle to understand atheists, they cast about for something that seems superficially "similar" and the idea that we are just another religion or at least an anti-religion is one that many of them fasten onto. Others prefer to see us as angry / disappointed religious people who "at some level" know the Truth but spend all our time resisting this innate knowledge.

Neither is correct (99% of the time; there are a handful of immature atheists who haven't fully understood how utterly unsupportable theism is and who define themselves primarily by their abreaction or resistance to religion).
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post