Atheism a man made concept?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2015, 04:52 AM
Atheism a man made concept?
I'm having an argument with someone about this. He/she seems to think atheism is equal to religion in terms of ideology etc. We all know the same old atheism is a negative, a base position. However, is it classed as a concept? I don't think so because one is only aware of the definition of atheism when faced with the assertion of divinity. If the case was that atheism is a concept then isn't everything, such as unbelief in ANYTHING?

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2015, 04:54 AM
RE: Atheism a man made concept?
(17-04-2015 04:52 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  I'm having an argument with someone about this. He/she seems to think atheism is equal to religion in terms of ideology etc. We all know the same old atheism is a negative, a base position. However, is it classed as a concept? I don't think so because one is only aware of the definition of atheism when faced with the assertion of divinity. If the case was that atheism is a concept then isn't everything, such as unbelief in ANYTHING?

Can I ask what again "concept" means in your use, and what it would entail if atheism were a concept?

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
17-04-2015, 05:03 AM
(17-04-2015 04:54 AM)Alex K Wrote:  
(17-04-2015 04:52 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  I'm having an argument with someone about this. He/she seems to think atheism is equal to religion in terms of ideology etc. We all know the same old atheism is a negative, a base position. However, is it classed as a concept? I don't think so because one is only aware of the definition of atheism when faced with the assertion of divinity. If the case was that atheism is a concept then isn't everything, such as unbelief in ANYTHING?

Can I ask what again "concept" means in your use, and what it would entail if atheism were a concept?

Concept is simply an abstract idea, but I find it hard designating atheism as a concept (especially man made). For example, if religion had never been invented, and the human race 100% atheist, the term would never have been used. It's simply nothingness. I may be wrong, I just find it hard to think of it that way >.< Is unbelief in a soggy telekinetic teabag a concept?

[+] 1 user Likes SunnyD1's post
17-04-2015, 05:13 AM
I would define all concepts as man made. Even the idea of nothingness is not something we intuitively understand.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 6 users Like yakherder's post
17-04-2015, 05:14 AM

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
17-04-2015, 05:40 AM
Atheism is a human manufactured concept.

So is God.

What's his point????

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
17-04-2015, 08:59 AM
Atheism does become a concept or idea when we made it one. For instance, there isn't a term to describe people as a whole who aren't 6 ft 4 in tall.

I would have to create a label that described people who aren't 6'4" just the same way we describe people who don't buy into the religious bullshit.

Unlike religion, we aren't making shit up. We are describing a stance about a question.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
17-04-2015, 09:06 AM
(17-04-2015 05:13 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I would define all concepts as man made. Even the idea of nothingness is not something we intuitively understand.

It's true all concepts are man made because for a concept to exist there must be a conscious mind aware of it. What I'm finding difficult is that atheist is a word used to describe someone that is not part of a concept.. I'm so monged over this haha someone help

17-04-2015, 09:07 AM
(17-04-2015 08:59 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Atheism does become a concept or idea when we made it one. For instance, there isn't a term to describe people as a whole who aren't 6 ft 4 in tall.

I would have to create a label that described people who aren't 6'4" just the same way we describe people who don't buy into the religious bullshit.

Unlike religion, we aren't making shit up. We are describing a stance about a question.

So do you think as soon as somebody is aware of something, such as the negation of a positive assertion, it instantly becomes a concept because humans inherently imprint their own idea (or conception) of what this negation is.. such as atheism?

17-04-2015, 09:12 AM
I think this is just too damn paradoxical. Privatives are used in order to describe an absence of a concept.. in turn this becomes its own concept? How? arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh kill me now

[+] 1 user Likes SunnyD1's post