Atheism a man made concept?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2015, 09:18 AM
RE: Atheism a man made concept?
I don't think there is an issue. I'm not sure where you are taking this stance that atheism in defined isn't a "concept" and that privatives mean you're in an absence of the concept. That's not their defined ideas at all.

It's more lacking a value of the idea term. The A- or Un- negates the value of the following idea not proclaims some non existence of a concept.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2015, 09:24 AM
(17-04-2015 09:18 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I don't think there is an issue. I'm not sure where you are taking this stance that atheism in defined isn't a "concept" and that privatives mean you're in an absence of the concept. That's not their defined ideas at all.

It's more lacking a value of the idea term. The A- or Un- negates the value of the following idea not proclaims some non existence of a concept.

Well the privative is meant to show the absence of something.

Exactly so if it negates a concept, does it become a concept of its own? If one does in fact proclaim non existence of god (which isn't atheism, just a stance a lot of atheists take) then that would be a concept of some kind of.. nontheism.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
17-04-2015, 09:33 AM
(17-04-2015 09:24 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(17-04-2015 09:18 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I don't think there is an issue. I'm not sure where you are taking this stance that atheism in defined isn't a "concept" and that privatives mean you're in an absence of the concept. That's not their defined ideas at all.

Well the privative is meant to show the absence of something.

Exactly so if it negates a concept, does it become a concept of its own? If one does in fact proclaim non existence of god (which isn't atheism, just a stance a lot of atheists take) then that would be a concept of some kind of.. nontheism.

I don't know of any set definition or understanding that states they are absence, simply negatives. A negative of a concept of still a concept. And every time you create a concept, in essence it's antithesis or negative is created as well.

In a world were theism isn't a concept, atheist isn't a concept. In this situation though were theism exists, atheism itself is a concept even though it's a negation of another concept.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
17-04-2015, 09:38 AM
(17-04-2015 09:33 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(17-04-2015 09:24 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Well the privative is meant to show the absence of something.

I don't know of any set definition or understanding that states they are absence, simply negatives. A negative of a concept of still a concept. And every time you create a concept, in essence it's antithesis or negative is created as well.

In a world were theism isn't a concept, atheist isn't a concept. In this situation though were theism exists, atheism itself is a concept even though it's a negation of another concept.

Well put. That's what I was getting at. I was looking at a few grammar sites and a few of them seem to refer to privatives like atheism as simply negative concepts or even residual concepts.

17-04-2015, 10:12 AM
(17-04-2015 04:52 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  I'm having an argument with someone about this. He/she seems to think atheism is equal to religion in terms of ideology etc. We all know the same old atheism is a negative, a base position. However, is it classed as a concept? I don't think so because one is only aware of the definition of atheism when faced with the assertion of divinity. If the case was that atheism is a concept then isn't everything, such as unbelief in ANYTHING?

Yes every word stands for a concept. "Atheist" means anyone who doesn't believe in gods, no matter why. Anyone who doesn't believe in gods is subsumed under the concept atheist. It doesn't tell you anything about what they believe about other issues at all.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
17-04-2015, 10:28 AM
Yeah, I see no problem with atheism being a concept. Everything we ever talk or think about is a concept. Why that is considered a point against it, I would have no idea.

Even if atheism was a religion, what does that matter anyway? I don't get that argument. "Haha, you're as dumb as we are!" Nice.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Robvalue's post
17-04-2015, 10:48 AM
Theism is a concept, atheism is a concept. Theism is an assertion, atheism (in purest form) is not an assertion.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
17-04-2015, 10:53 AM
All concepts are man-made. They exist only as definitions we made up to help us communicate. In other words, they exist only our heads.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
17-04-2015, 11:00 AM
We have the concept of asymmetry only because we have the concept of symmetry.

If there were no symmetry, there would only be asymmetry but no concept of it.

Atheism is the same. If there were no concept of any gods, there would only be atheists but no concept of it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-04-2015, 11:02 AM
(17-04-2015 11:00 AM)Chas Wrote:  We have the concept of asymmetry only because we have the concept of symmetry.

If there were no symmetry, there would only be asymmetry but no concept of it.

Atheism is the same. If there were no concept of any gods, there would only be atheists but no concept of it.

A sort of anti-concept Tongue