Atheism a man made concept?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2015, 11:32 AM
RE: Atheism a man made concept?
Doesn't matter to me either way.
If this came up as a response to religion being man made, who cares.
Theists get upset when we say their beliefs are man made because they claim they are divine.
Atheism makes no such claim.
Tell him it doesn't matter to you, it will probably just piss him off more.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
17-04-2015, 11:47 AM
(17-04-2015 11:32 AM)pablo Wrote:  Doesn't matter to me either way.
Theists get upset when we say their beliefs are man made because they claim they are divine.

I don't even think he was a theist. He was saying that Stalin and Mao are fine examples for atheism, I challenged that and he kept replying in strange nutty responses that weren't making sense, one was that "religion and atheism are the exact same, both man made concepts, the way forward is anti-collectivism!" that kind of bullshit.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
17-04-2015, 11:51 AM
Ahh sounds like he might be a self proclaimed "pure agnostic" or possibly an igtheist. Maybe a deist.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
17-04-2015, 12:26 PM
(17-04-2015 11:47 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(17-04-2015 11:32 AM)pablo Wrote:  Doesn't matter to me either way.

I don't even think he was a theist. He was saying that Stalin and Mao are fine examples for atheism, I challenged that and he kept replying in strange nutty responses that weren't making sense, one was that "religion and atheism are the exact same, both man made concepts, the way forward is anti-collectivism!" that kind of bullshit.

If he can't make sense, there is no reason to continue in my opinion.
You could spend hours making valid points just to get a batshit reply.
17-04-2015, 04:45 PM
Religion is man made and so is atheism.

What's the problem?
17-04-2015, 05:07 PM
(17-04-2015 04:45 PM)abaris Wrote:  Religion is man made and so is atheism.

What's the problem?

How is lacking belief in something, a concept? There are thousands of things people never even heard of, and therefore lack belief in. How is that a concept???
17-04-2015, 05:15 PM
(17-04-2015 11:47 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  He was saying that Stalin and Mao are fine examples for atheism, ...

Bah. Pussies. Now Pol Pot, there's a fucking baby eater.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
18-04-2015, 06:16 AM
(17-04-2015 05:07 PM)TheBear Wrote:  
(17-04-2015 04:45 PM)abaris Wrote:  Religion is man made and so is atheism.

What's the problem?

How is lacking belief in something, a concept? There are thousands of things people never even heard of, and therefore lack belief in. How is that a concept???

That's the issue I had with it. It seems that as soon as an assertion is made though, the anti of that assertion is automatically conceived. I'm going to call them anti-concepts from now on.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
18-04-2015, 07:00 AM
(18-04-2015 06:16 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(17-04-2015 05:07 PM)TheBear Wrote:  How is lacking belief in something, a concept? There are thousands of things people never even heard of, and therefore lack belief in. How is that a concept???

That's the issue I had with it. It seems that as soon as an assertion is made though, the anti of that assertion is automatically conceived. I'm going to call them anti-concepts from now on.

As I see it, it's a figure vs ground thing. Any time you draw a figure you automatically create the complementary ground. Defining any concept automatically defines things that are not that concept as complementary concept. In most cases the "ground" is ignored but it is always there.

We have a concept for people who believe in astrology which means we have a concept of people who don't. We don't label it because astrology is too minor an irritant to require any sort of significant response. If astrologers were going around demanding to have laws defines based on star signs and claiming that non-astrologers were evil then I'd be a proud aastrologist. As it stands, I just don't waste much thinking on the concepts of not believing in that, or unicorns, or whatever.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
20-04-2015, 09:27 AM
Quote:Concept is simply an abstract idea, but I find it hard designating atheism as a concept (especially man made). For example, if religion had never been invented, and the human race 100% atheist, the term would never have been used. It's simply nothingness. I may be wrong, I just find it hard to think of it that way >.< Is unbelief in a soggy telekinetic teabag a concept?

I don't see a problem here. There are no specific terms for lack of belief in telekinetic teabags simply because it is not prevalent - or even existing - belief. Seeing as theism is quite popular it should not be a suprise that word/concept/term such as atheist exists.
And why you find atheism being man made concept hard to accept?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post