Atheism and Dating

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2013, 04:35 PM
Atheism and Dating
I don't know if anyone else has run into this problem, but my atheism has prevented me from progressing in more than one relationship. I'd like to find a good relationship, but from time to time I get discouraged because my beliefs sort of make it harder to find someone. Any good tips, or perhaps a good atheism dating website? Smile

Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you.

Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure.

- George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-05-2013, 04:57 PM
RE: Atheism and Dating
No real advice, but love had been found here on TTA...as well as other things...Confused

Just sayin...
Thumbsup

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
25-05-2013, 05:03 PM
(25-05-2013 04:57 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  No real advice, but love had been found here on TTA...as well as other things...Confused

Just sayin...
Thumbsup

Other things huh? Do I want to know?Unsure

Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you.

- George Carlin
[+] 1 user Likes molad25's post
25-05-2013, 05:08 PM
No

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
25-05-2013, 05:20 PM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2013 05:23 PM by amyb.)
Meaning the other person was not tolerant of your atheism? If the other person is intolerant of something about you, why would you want to be in such a relationship, anyway? Everybody has deal-breakers, I think it's just best to get those out in plain view fairly quickly so you don't waste your time.

That being said, atheist/theist relationships have worked for some people, but it all depends on the tolerance of both individuals. Some theists are actually tolerant of these things, some will want to change you, some people are religious in name only and don't really care, etc.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
25-05-2013, 05:42 PM
(25-05-2013 05:20 PM)amyb Wrote:  Meaning the other person was not tolerant of your atheism? If the other person is intolerant of something about you, why would you want to be in such a relationship, anyway? Everybody has deal-breakers, I think it's just best to get those out in plain view fairly quickly so you don't waste your time.

That being said, atheist/theist relationships have worked for some people, but it all depends on the tolerance of both individuals. Some theists are actually tolerant of these things, some will want to change you, some people are religious in name only and don't really care, etc.

I had a relationship recently where she was religious, but never went to church. She didn't seem to mind, but after a month or so brought it up occasionally as if it were a problem and I should consider looking at the other side.

I haven't minded being in a relationship where the other person wasn't atheist. I just want to make sure that it's not a problem then or that it's going to be a problem down the road. My experiences have led me to believe that maybe it'd be easier to only date people who are atheist.

- George Carlin
25-05-2013, 05:55 PM
That could be a solution, yes. I just wanted to point out that several forum members are in "mixed" atheist/theist relationships which have apparently worked out. Personally, theism is a deal-breaker for me, but it's not for everyone. (I broke up with my last boyfriend right after he "got religion").

I don't know if atheist dating sites exist, but it might be helpful to hang out places, online or off, where you have similar interests with people and are able to make you atheism known right away, so anyone turned off by that won't bother in the first place.

Quote:brought it up occasionally as if it were a problem and I should consider looking at the other side.
that's another problem: for some reason, many theists think atheists have never even considered religion, never read the bible, never been religious, etc.
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
26-05-2013, 08:13 AM
(25-05-2013 05:55 PM)amyb Wrote:  that's another problem: for some reason, many theists think atheists have never even considered religion, never read the bible, never been religious, etc.

Yes! I was raised in a baptist church for my first 13 years. Although, that didn't seem to matter with this particular person. I don't want to sound pompous, but I'm pretty sure I knew more about religion than she did.

- George Carlin
26-05-2013, 08:20 AM
You might want to look into MeetUp.com and find some local secular groups to hang out with. If I were dating, I sure wouldn't want to hang out with anyone who held onto any sort of woo. I wouldn't be able to respect that person fully. I'd be constantly wondering how they could stay so deluded to believe in such antiquated theories about the world.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
26-05-2013, 01:24 PM
I just googled "atheist dating site" and several results came up. I can't vouch for any of these, since I am happily single and not looking, therefore not signing up for them, but some sites do appear to exist.

Quote: I don't want to sound pompous, but I'm pretty sure I knew more about religion than she did.
You don't sound pompous. I'd say that's actually a pretty common occurrence.