Atheism and Depression.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2013, 11:44 PM
RE: Atheism and Depression.
If you've always struggled with depression, it's probably the clinical type; you definitely need to see a doctor for that. It has nothing to do with atheism.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Juv's post
05-11-2013, 12:39 AM
(01-11-2013 07:09 PM)Mancunian-Heathen Wrote:  Thanks for the reply mate, it's not the issue that I WISH there was a God, rather that I realise that we are a "pale blue speck of dust suspended in a vast, cold Universe" - T.J Kirk. Kinda just makes everything seem worthless. I realise that I have to cherish life, it's just that nothing seems to make me want to.

A Pale Blue Dot is awesome for perspective, for sure. Its point is to take away the trivial and to see the bigger, better picture. You need to see the bigger better picture.

You can start HERE.

Have you heard Neil deGrasse Tyson's version? I love it- it's exactly how I feel.

So beautiful.

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics: You are all stardust. You couldn’t be here if stars hadn’t exploded, because the elements - the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution - weren’t created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way they could get into your body is if those stars were kind enough to explode. So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today."
~Lawrence Krauss

We are social creatures, you need to find somewhere to connect. TTA is a good place to start. Shy
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
05-11-2013, 12:49 AM
I really like Dom's advice.

Also if you are struggling with depression it may be a good idea to seek medical advice. Good luck Smile
05-11-2013, 12:53 AM
Hi M.H.
Atheism isn't the great defining truth of the cosmos.
The God concept may be very difficult to relate to, but IMO cannot be simply fobbed off.
The multitude of religions create a lot of confusion.
Doubt re how God might work is quite different from a blanket denial.
Hope you can get on top of your depression.Wink